Realist

Devonta Freeman told ESPN's Josina Anderson that he wants "elite" running back money on a contract extension

307 posts in this topic

Source

$7-8M/year is my guess. 

Ultimately, I'm not sure if the Falcons pay him that much. I personally feel like if we don't get him signed before the season he is going to be gone by the start of the 2018 season.

A few potential landing spots (aka places that would prob pay him $8m+/season):

Browns: Will have the cap space

49ers: That Shanny connection

Colts: Would be a nice compliment to Luck

Bucs: Could reunite with Winston. They'll be able to cut Doug and free up $7m next offseason. Worst case probably.

Saints: Maybe?

Just now, youngbloodz said:

Falcons will pay him $7-$8 mil a year. Nothing to discuss honestly

It is though. It's not a given. We have some hefty contracts that will need to be paid out over the next 2 years.

Just now, RoddyWhite84 said:

TD Is good with contracts the ppl we have to re up will be taken care of if they want them 

Vic and Matt are due new contracts in two years. Gonna be expensive. 

I'm just saying if he hits the open market and a team offers him $9m+... I just don't see us matching. 

RoddyWhite84 likes this

11 minutes ago, Realist said:

Vic and Matt are due new contracts in two years. Gonna be expensive. 

I'm just saying if he hits the open market and a team offers him $9m+... I just don't see us matching. 

I know but it's all on how u set up the contracts which may not make it as bad.but yes we definitely have some big decisions on some guys coming up soon..just the problem of have a good team,we can't pay everyone.but free will be here they want him

Right now we have him locked all year at 1.8M

He can sign a reasonable, well paid RB contract for this year and earn anywhere from 7 to 8M average for the next two years.

Or he can hold off and demand more & end up playing for 1.8M in 2017.  But he'll have left 3M on the table this year & run the risk of getting injured this season.

It gets more complicated when you start negotiating guarantees & signing bonus up front stuff...

Tim Mazetti and RoddyWhite84 like this

3 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

He can sign a reasonable, well paid RB contract for this year and earn anywhere from 7 to 8M average for the next two years.

Or he can hold off and demand more & end up playing for 1.8M in 2017.  But he'll have left 3M on the table this year & run the risk of getting injured this season.

It gets more complicated when you start negotiating guarantees & signing bonus up front stuff...

That's why I think this will get done before the start of the season.history usually has us getting it done around that time anyway 

4 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

For me it's just the matter of the when 

HASHBROWN3 likes this

Just now, RoddyWhite84 said:

That's why I think this will get done before the start of the season.history usually has us getting it done around that time anyway 

That's my gut too.

athell and RoddyWhite84 like this

When is Teco up?

That will be a real suk job if we have to let him go... but we must face it.  The Hill signing gave us leverage with Free & perhaps made us ready to part ways with Teco... 

Can Hill catch the ball?  Me doubts he can like Tevin.

RoddyWhite84 likes this

3 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Pretty much everyone who matters has commented that Free will get his and be a Falcon for a long time. Time to move on and stop sweating another's mans pay.

Wow!  I don't even know wtf you are talking about man... I don't know whether I should laugh at your defensiveness over something so far removed from your control or feel sorry for you because you're projecting some sort of bias/hate on us?

Can you explain exactly what is going on in your mind to say something that paranoid?

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

1 minute ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

When is Teco up?

That will be a real suk job if we have to let him go... but we must face it.  The Hill signing gave us leverage with Free & perhaps made us ready to part ways with Teco... 

Can Hill catch the ball?  Me doubts he can like Tevin.

Teco  is up next year and I think hill is his replacement tbh which sucks I don't see how we keep both free and Teco.we will be losing a **** of a player in Teco but I hope hill can fill in and be that other punch and keep the offense on schedule.thats my biggest worry is that we lose that dynamic 

HASHBROWN3 likes this

2 minutes ago, Nereek said:

Since when is Freeman elite? 

To me it was last year. Over a 1000 yards and share the ball with Coleman. On top of that he average like 5 yards a carry plus he caught 54 balls. To me he is one of the best backs in the league and is a feisty competitor. Been watching him since FSU and he only wants to get better.

The team is planning for all the extensions they want. No one actually thinks that TD just makes this up as he goes along. He has a spreadsheet and schedule showing the growth in the cap crossed with the players they want to keep and how much it will take. Why do you think negotiations are so easy for this team? TD has a plan and Blank has the checkbook.

5 minutes ago, BirdHeadKemo said:

He will get it and be a falcon for life. Trust me.

People who say that sort of thing for anybody other than a star QB are not really paying attention.

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

2 minutes ago, BirdHeadKemo said:

To me it was last year. Over a 1000 yards and share the ball with Coleman. On top of that he average like 5 yards a carry plus he caught 54 balls. To me he is one of the best backs in the league and is a feisty competitor. Been watching him since FSU and he only wants to get better.

I think he is a good RB, but I don't see him as elite. 

Stray Dog THA GAWD and GreggT like this

7 minutes ago, Nereek said:

Since when is Freeman elite? 

He's a dam fine football player with some really high end skills.  Elite? Maybe, but it depends upon if you want to include only singe, work horse backs.  

He's def an elite tandum guy imo.  So is Teco for that matter.  They can both kill you in the run/pass game.

But I don't want to debate it now. 

THE FACT is that HE THINKS he's elite.  The bigger question is do you pay him like a single, work horse guy or not??