Sidecar Falcon

Overreaction: The Day Ryan Was Drafted

146 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Please delete. Double post.

you're pure football, don't you have the option to delete? 

I too was on the Brohm/Dorsey train. One thing that WAS right there though, it did take almost 10 years to get to the superbowl  :ninja:

also another thing to note. A lot of those names I recognize, but don't see posting much any more  :lol:

Sidecar Falcon and athell like this

1 hour ago, fuego said:

Can anybody tell what game that was from?

It was the Falcons/Eagles MNF opener in 2015 - Matt was reacting to game-winning INT. (At least I think so - that's my memory of it.)

12 minutes ago, BCEagleATLFalcon said:

It was the Falcons/Eagles MNF opener in 2015 - Matt was reacting to game-winning INT. (At least I think so - that's my memory of it.)

Ah - see you already got it - and you are spot on - that was Rico's int - saved the game!

8 minutes ago, Tandy said:

Ah - see you already got it - and you are spot on - that was Rico's int - saved the game!

It's truly amazing that I can't remember my to-do list for any given day, but I can pinpoint Falcons games with great accuracy given a short sideline clip. 

(Ah well, you remember what's important, right? :lol:)

2 hours ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

Lmao.. Theres some gold in the second thread from some familiar faces. 

I've never tried to hide at the time I thought Dorsey would have been a better pick.

People forget how bad the team looked that offseason.

There were question marks all over the roster.  The only established guy on the roster was Abraham and maybe Milloy and Brookings.

At the time I thought A rookie QB, rookie GM, & rookies HC would be too much to overcome and Ryan would have an uphill battle to win over fans.  I thought he would need to win in order to win over the fans and it was very uncommon for a rookie QB to have that kind of success.

Obviously I was wrong and was very happy about it.

:p

Godzilla1985 likes this

1 hour ago, fuego said:

Can anybody tell what game that was from?

I'm 90% sure it's the Eagles game 2015. It was the micd up segment.

Godzilla1985 likes this

Personally, I'm a huge dork. I started watching the NFL when I was 19 in 2012. I think Ryans dorky personality resonated with. Fortunately, that dorky QB turned out to be one of the best in the league, so dorky isn't always bad. Lol

Godzilla1985 likes this

2 minutes ago, likeriver said:

Personally, I'm a huge dork. I started watching the NFL when I was 19 in 2012. I think Ryans dorky personality resonated with. Fortunately, that dorky QB turned out to be one of the best in the league, so dorky isn't always bad. Lol

Man I am old :(

28 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I've never tried to hide at the time I thought Dorsey would have been a better pick.

People forget how bad the team looked that offseason.

There were question marks all over the roster.  The only established guy on the roster was Abraham and maybe Milloy and Brookings.

At the time I thought A rookie QB, rookie GM, & rookies HC would be too much to overcome and Ryan would have an uphill battle to win over fans.  I thought he would need to win in order to win over the fans and it was very uncommon for a rookie QB to have that kind of success.

Obviously I was wrong and was very happy about it.

:p

It was also not obvious that we had a good enough OL to prevent a QB from getting shell shocked.

Dahl and Clabo hadn't yet become Dahl and Clabo...so we had something like Weiner, Blalock, Mud duck, then question marks.

Sun Tzu 7 likes this

12 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

It was also not obvious that we had a good enough OL to prevent a QB from getting shell shocked.

Dahl and Clabo hadn't yet become Dahl and Clabo...so we had something like Weiner, Blalock, Mud duck, then question marks.

Blalock was in his 2nd year, the opinion on McClure wasn't good at the time & Weiner was at the end of his career.

I think Wayne Gandy was the starting left tackle.

Yeah it wasn't pretty...

Vandy likes this

Can't lie.  I was on the Dorsey Brohm wagon...

actually I think I was on the Dorsey, 2nd round pick, Andre Woodson wagon.  Probably even started that wagon.  

But as soon as we drafted Matt I was all aboard and knew we were in for a treat.  He had and still has got a demeanor like none other.  He's special.  

I wanted Ryan. We HAD to have a QB to build the franchise around and he was the best one coming out of college that year. After losing Vick and being tortured by having to watch Joey Harrington and Byron Leftwich in 2007, we had to have Ryan more than Dorsey.

BUT I sure as heck didn't expect him to exceed to this level.

5 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Some oldies but goodies in honor of the Iceman's Birthday. Lol

I was not that in tune with the draft that year coming back from Iraq.  I did not know who Matt Ryan was.  I was like who.  I saw us mocked for Glenn Dorsey.  

Never was a big college fan but stumbled on the BC vs VT game live. Needless to say I watched the whole game. Wasn't sure how good he'll be but it all worked out. Hopefully that ellusive ring will find its way here. 

4 hours ago, YoungHeezy said:

I legit laughed out loud when reading that.

KOG stuck his foot in his mouth a couple times. :lol:

24 minutes ago, usmcdirtybird said:

I was not that in tune with the draft that year coming back from Iraq.  I did not know who Matt Ryan was.  I was like who.  I saw us mocked for Glenn Dorsey.  

I remember a lot people wanting Dorsey in the 1st and Brohm in the 2nd. Thank God Petrino hightailed it out of here or that could have happened. 

I think the issue with Ryan coming out of college was the hype machine around him. Most notably Mayock who kept saying he had the "it" factor and "off the charts intangibles". 

Seeing as how he literally didn't have any WRs at BC and still put up great numbers is the catalyst for that. There are a lot of people who don't want a specific player because of the hype surrounding them. 

1 hour ago, Bullitt said:

Or bumping into your wife when with an old ex.

Or bumping into your ex when you're with their sister. 

I can't lie. When I heard on my car radio two hours before the draft that we were planning on drafting him, I decided not to even watch the draft that year. I was madder than almost everybody. But as soon as he was in red and black, he was my guy. Then, when they broke into my local game to show his first pass to Michael Jenkins, he was REALLY my guy.

5 hours ago, papachaz said:

you're pure football, don't you have the option to delete? 

I too was on the Brohm/Dorsey train. One thing that WAS right there though, it did take almost 10 years to get to the superbowl  :ninja:

also another thing to note. A lot of those names I recognize, but don't see posting much any more  :lol:

Can't from a cellphone bro.

papachaz likes this

I still don't get why people wanted to pass over a franchise QB several replies later for a stupid dt. All the pro sports mags were comparing Ryan to Manning lite. I was stoked to hear that we got him. We needed a QB so bad and Redman was not the answer.

Falconsfan567 likes this