lju713

TC battle. RG

35 posts in this topic

Garland,Harlow,Scwheitzer,and Leff(udfa) are the prime candidates. June 1 cuts and a trade are possible too for a upgrade. But we will go with the 4 player's named.

Garland- i like him as a DT, but thats just me. He could start at RG but i like him as a ulitity player

Schweitzer- 6'5 314 and former LT. Looked good last preseason. If he is a better pass pro than Chester that is a bonus.

Harlow- nasty and has the traits to be a good OL. I think by week 8 he will be ready to push for the job. Maybe he is being groomed to replace Levitre.

Leff- 6'6 300 RT at Auburn. Graded out as one of the better run blockers in the draft. May need time to learn RG postion, or be a swing OL.

Who ya got?

Monolith2001 and Knight of God like this

Whoever wins the bonus is they should be better pass pro than Chester. He got Matt killed a few times last season 

Posted (edited)

Garland should be the leader for now.  Film on him last year as a replacement looked really good

Edited by peoriabird

In order of probability to win the position: Schweitzer, Garland, and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the list Harlow. Harlow needs a year like Schweitzer had last year - to learn, to lift, to take reps in practice.

We're not going to add a vet in free agency unless one of those three get injured. We only carry 5 interior OL's. You add LeVitre and Mack to those three, and we've got our five. Leff is a decent practice squad candidate, along with Cam Keizur and a few others.

1 hour ago, peoriabird said:

Garland should be the leader for now.  Film from him last year as a replacement looked really good

Wes is the leader by default. He was chesters backup. 

Schweitzer if I.Q. and a year in an NFL system then it's Schweitzer. If it's talent then Harlow. Personally it will be someone not on the roster imo, and hoping. 

6 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

Wes and then Harlow

I think so, too. Wes starter. Harlow will spend this year IMO cross-training both G spots  And if Harlow progresses he could take Levitre's spot next year.

rugger8, BIRDLAND 2.0 and TheFatboi like this

So people realistically think we're gonna just land some 6th yr pro starter to toss in at rg? Wes was drafted with chesters retirement in mind. Sometimes you gotta let someone play so they can make a name for themselves.. never heard of a guy becoming a all pro who never got the chance to prove himself. Let the best man win.. that man will be Wes 

g-dawg likes this

I my mind it's a 2 man race between Schweitzer and Garland, with Schweitzer having an early lead.  We are a win now team, and it a ZBS all 5 linemen have to be on the same page.  That's more important than physical traits.  So in my mind we have to start a vet who has spent time with Mack, and knows the system.  Bring the rookie along slowly and let him learn.

RandomFan and Kung-Pow like this

I'm hopeful it's Schweitzer, making the 2016 draft the best Falcons draft ever. But I'll throw Hugh Thornton into the mix as well.  

I think it's Wes.  Either way we need depth.  We won't always be as lucky as we were last year on the health of the o-line.

Next year, if we don't resign Levitre (although I think we will), I think we would move Wes to LG and start Harlow at RG. 

All that said, I wouldn't count out Garland.  He is a tough MFer and embodies Quinn's competitive attitude.   He also is the only one of the three with a number of live snaps under his belt.  I expect we also won't know for sure who is going to go on game 1 until we see who starts the 3rd preseason game.  

Lornoth likes this

14 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

It's shaping up to be a fairly decent competition.  I have a feeling a vet may get a look, but Quinn isn't scared to roll with a rookie.  The best man wins. 

And how many times we've said this during the Smith era?