Doctor Kildare

NFL.com top 10 offenses, Falcons ranked #3

77 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Farmer2 said:

Weren't we the #7 ranked offense of all-time last year?  And you're telling there are currently 2 better offenses in the league right now?  C'mon

it was all Shanahan and smoke and mirrors

Tim Mazetti likes this

2 hours ago, Farmer2 said:

Weren't we the #7 ranked offense of all-time last year?  And you're telling there are currently 2 better offenses in the league right now?  C'mon

Everyone thinks Shanny leaving will kill us. I think the opposite. Every second or third year Shanny is somewhere after having a high octane offense he takes a nose dive. Even if he stayed we could have trended worse. New wrinkles and packages inserted into the offense can keep it fresh, and I'm on the train who thinks MR can be a  a successful field general like PM, regardless of who is at OC, as long as we have a healthy line. 

It is my opinion that if the defenses improved as much as we think it will, there's no reason we can't have a similar performance as last year, possibly better with MR in his 3rd year of the system and the defense giving us more opportunities. 

Tim Mazetti likes this

20 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

With the Consistency and Equally talented players plus at least two more players(JJ, Sanu, Gabriel, Freeman and Coleman{all are capable of taking it to the house}) the Falcons possess over Pittsburgh, I would say we are heads and shoulders above them.

It's all about perception.

From My POV:

QB - I would take MVP Ryan all day over Big Ben but non-Falcons fans would probably take Big Ben because of his 2 rings.

RB - Falcons have a better tandem but Bell is considered the best RB in the game.

WR - Julio is probably the best WR in the game but Antonio Brown is usually listed above him (on NFL top 100 players, various rankings by writers). If Martavis Bryant is in a right place, he has a much higher ceiling than Gabriel or Sanu. Overall, the Falcons WR group is better though because of the depth.

TE - Pretty even, Hooper probably has more upside than Jesse James.

OL - Falcons are better but still a hole at RG that hopefully Wes can fulfill.

From outside:

There's still the perception out there from non-Falcons fans that the Falcons offense was mainly the product of Kyle's playcalling. If the Falcons put up huge #'s again this season, they will probably be #1 on everyone's list next season.

Jerz, raysnill1 and Tim Mazetti like this

2 minutes ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

It's all about perception.

From My POV:

QB - I would take MVP Ryan all day over Big Ben but non-Falcons fans would probably take Big Ben because of his 2 rings.

RB - Falcons have a better tandem but Bell is considered the best RB in the game.

WR - Julio is probably the best WR in the game but Antonio Brown is usually listed above him (on NFL top 100 players, various rankings by writers). If Martavis Bryant is in a right place, he has a much higher ceiling than Gabriel or Sanu. Overall, the Falcons WR group is better though because of the depth.

TE - Pretty even, Hooper probably has more upside than Jesse James.

OL - Falcons are better but still a hole at RG that hopefully Wes can fulfill.

From outside:

There's still the perception out there from non-Falcons fans that the Falcons offense was mainly the product of Kyle's playcalling. If the Falcons put up huge #'s again this season, they will probably be #1 on everyone's list next season.

Yepper, you are correct. 

The sad about the national perception is... The Falcons were ALWAYS in the top half offensively, we just could ever stop anyone long enough for it to make a difference.

That fact, has conveniently left the conscious of the So called media. 

6 hours ago, raysnill1 said:

it was all Shanahan and smoke and mirrors

Shanahan is quite the miracle worker. The football world can never forget the wonders he worked in Cleveland.

raysnill1 likes this

I am sorry but the A minus at quarterback is bogus. If they are talking about the offense as a whole, sure losing Shan and replacing with uncertainty is bad, but that reflects on the OC or overall offense. Matty Ice will be no different and he had a stellar last season, iNDispuTable A grade!!!!!¡

On 5/12/2017 at 3:47 PM, Doctor Kildare said:

Pats 1, Steelers  2, Aints  6, Bucs 10.  I suppose the departure of the young genius weighs heavy in such predictions.

===============

3) Atlanta Falcons

Receiving corps: A | Julio Jones, Mohamed Sanu, Taylor Gabriel, Austin Hooper (TE), Justin Hardy, Andre Roberts, Levine Toilolo (TE), Josh Perkins (TE), Nick Williams

If not for New England's stunning comeback in Super Bowl LI, we would have spent the past few months praising Jones for the most dominant postseason run since Larry Fitzgerald's "fantastic four" in 2008. Gabriel can score from anywhere on the field, Sanu lived up to his high price tag in free agency and Hooper emerged as a big-play threat at tight end. The question is whether Sarkisian can deploy his weapons with the same uncanny effectiveness as Shanahan.

What could have been. <sigh>

On Friday, May 12, 2017 at 5:03 PM, FalconAge said:

I actually have to disagree a bit. Shanny schemes to create and then subvert expectations with the defense. 

He plants a concept in their mind one two maybe three times, and then turns it on its head as they begin to anticipate the play.

It is a lot more difficult to create that flow with the defense when the qb can audible out of concept-establishing plays.

Matt should be given that authority in targeted situations, not carte blanche

The only problem I have with this is that it seems imply that Matt can't be an important piece to that subversive play calling. Those patterns that are established to set the defense up aren't necessarily ruined or less effective when Matt calls audibles at the line.

I would hope they'd have those concepts built into the audible gamelan when the offense was installed.  Heck that concept is pretty much what the entire zone scheme/  bootleg offense is predicated on.  They better have it in mind.

On 5/12/2017 at 10:03 PM, ShanghaiDirtyBird said:

I posted my prediction we'd make the Super Bowl right after the draft. We saw the whole time what was obvious. And then people called us homers. And then when we turned out right they still want to mock us. 

It's not easy usually being right. I've seen you have some haters, too. People hate winners.

Lol, that last paragraph is the reason why you get **** on here.

50 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

Lol, that last paragraph is the reason why you get **** on here.

They hate us cuz they ain't us...

On 5/12/2017 at 3:56 PM, g-dawg said:

i think that is fair.   Matt has to prove he can play at that new higher level two years in a row.  You could make the argument that we are still #1 - maybe if Shannahan was back it would be an easier argument.

If our defense improves the way we believe it can - I would take the #3 offense and run w/ it.

Matt should be the least concern of performing with consistency 

2 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

Matt should be the least concern of performing with consistency 

Matt is not a concern - it's just that EVERYONE knows he elevated his game last year to a higher level - this is just factual.  Can he stay at that level or will he come back down to his career norms?  that is a legitimate question that will be answered on the the field and not on a messageboard.

On 5/14/2017 at 10:30 AM, g-dawg said:

Matt is not a concern - it's just that EVERYONE knows he elevated his game last year to a higher level - this is just factual.  Can he stay at that level or will he come back down to his career norms?  that is a legitimate question that will be answered on the the field and not on a messageboard.

I'm not sure if he'll perform at the heights of last year, but I think the transformation of Matt is a permanent one. I remember too many people griping that Shanahan was asking Matt to do things he wasn't good at, taking him out of his comfort zone, etc... But that is exactly what Matt needed. For whatever reason Matt was stuck in a rut and didn't realize it. Shanahan forced Matt to work differently and better than he ever had, and see some things in a different way, which led to a breakthrough to another plateau for Matt. People can bash Shanahan all they want, but I'm not going to. I'm gonna miss the heck out of that guy.

I think Sark knows how to call a good game. My biggest question with him is can he put together the same kind of effective gameplans that consistently take advantage of the other teams weakness like Kyle did. And will he abandon the occasional bad game plans as quickly as Kyle did.

g-dawg likes this

13 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

I'm not sure if he'll perform at the heights of last year, but I think the transformation of Matt is a permanent one. I remember too many people griping that Shanahan was asking Matt to do things he wasn't good at, taking him out of his comfort zone, etc... But that is exactly what Matt needed. For whatever reason Matt was stuck in a rut and didn't realize it. Shanahan forced Matt to work differently and better than he ever had, and see some things in a different way, which led to a breakthrough to another plateau for Matt. People can bash Shanahan all they want, but I'm not going to. I'm gonna miss the heck out of that guy.

I think Sark knows how to call a good game. My biggest question with him is can he put together the same kind of effective gameplans that consistently take advantage of the other teams weakness like Kyle did. And will he abandon the occasional bad game plans as quickly as Kyle did.

I agree w/ you on Kyle Shanahan - maybe the best OC performance in the history of the NFL.  I am not going to think we are "better" without him because we did not run the ball in that one series of play calls.

As to Matt, I am not pre-judging it either way.  Is Matt at a permanent higher level?  I certainly HOPE so.  I believe it is likely that Matt is at a new higher level that is permanent - but he ain't done it yet - so I will wait and see and not just bequeath it like it has already been done - because it hasn't.

Vandy likes this

If our WR's and RB's are not an A+, who's WR and RB's are an A+

With 13 different players catching a TD we clearly have depth.  

Our 2 RB's were putting up sick numbers all year and Ward even had some long runs when he was in the game.  We add Hill and we don't get an A+?  

The Stillers offense that became anemic in the playoffs when AB pulled his groin too much is the 2nd best offense and we are 3rd best?  

C'mon man.  

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I agree w/ you on Kyle Shanahan - maybe the best OC performance in the history of the NFL.  I am not going to think we are "better" without him because we did not run the ball in that one series of play calls.

As to Matt, I am not pre-judging it either way.  Is Matt at a permanent higher level?  I certainly HOPE so.  I believe it is likely that Matt is at a new higher level that is permanent - but he ain't done it yet - so I will wait and see and not just bequeath it like it has already been done - because it hasn't.

Matt's not going backwards man....once a QB reaches a new level in WCO, he stays there for awhile especially at his age. Doesn't really matter who the OC is.....

g-dawg likes this

All last year even people were saying the Steelers offense was better and I just don't see it. Big Ben is highly overrated and not nearly the guy he was a few years ago plus he's guaranteed to miss some games each year. Landry Jones is the backup and he is beyond garbage. Martavius Bryant is good but always getting suspended. Taylor Gabriel is miles better than Sammie Coates. Falcons OL is better.

37 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Matt's not going backwards man....once a QB reaches a new level in WCO, he stays there for awhile especially at his age. Doesn't really matter who the OC is.....

"going backwards" would mean going back to what he was for the last 8 years - or the last 4 years.  I am not saying it "will happen" or "I expect it to happen" - I am saying Matt has to do it again.   Last year he played at the level of Tom Brady, the level of Aaron Rodgers - a very ELITE level.

He's got to do it again.   Nothing is guaranteed.

Vandy likes this

15 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

"going backwards" would mean going back to what he was for the last 8 years - or the last 4 years.  I am not saying it "will happen" or "I expect it to happen" - I am saying Matt has to do it again.   Last year he played at the level of Tom Brady, the level of Aaron Rodgers - a very ELITE level.

He's got to do it again.   Nothing is guaranteed.

I understand G. But I would be shocked if he doesn't, because it would mean his MVP year was a statistical anomaly, and a tribute more to shanny'a play calling than to all Matt's hard work to get better as a WCO QB. Matt's skillset is designed perfectly for the WCO, he just needed Shanny to show him mechanically how. 

g-dawg likes this

7 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I understand G. But I would be shocked if he doesn't, because it would mean his MVP year was a statistical anomaly, and a tribute more to shanny'a play calling than to all Matt's hard work to get better as a WCO QB. Matt's skillset is designed perfectly for the WCO, he just needed Shanny to show him mechanically how. 

the #1 threat (outside of devastating injuries) to the Falcons not being as good as they were last year is Matt's level of play.  If he can play at an MVP level again, we should be good for at least the NFCCG if we are relatively healthy as well.

Vandy likes this