g-dawg

REPORT: Falcons traded up for Takkarist McKinley to leapfrog Dallas Cowboys

79 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, caponine said:

We had an average d line in terms of stats last year , remember ?? 

We have a defense full of young studs including the reigning NFL sack leader.

Outside of Sean Lee and maybe Tyrone Crawford, their defense is just a bunch of guys. There not terrible just not anything special and definitely not scary.

Just now, caponine said:

Lol which is true lol there's a lot of unknowns on their defense .

they can build around those two guys , 

The Beasley draft pick signified a new era on defense , they started to build around him and it worked out wonderful 

You are not building around Sean Lee - he will be 31yrs old OLB to start 2017 - and has had long injury history.  You are not building a team around a safety - great safeties are good to have - but they are not pieces you build around.   So basically.......there is NOT ONE PIECE on Cowboys defense to build around.

Tim Mazetti and Falx like this

2 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

We have a defense full of young studs including the reigning NFL sack leader.

Outside of Sean Lee and maybe Tyrone Crawford, their defense is just a bunch of guys. There not terrible just not anything special and definitely not scary.

Outside of Byron Jones, the best part of the defense is just that you have an accomplished D-Coordinator in Rod Marinelli.   Maybe he can work some voodoo magic - but basically - the more this defense is on the field - the more exposed it will get.    Dak Prescott is a game manager at this point - Dak and Zeke running and the O-Line is the only special parts of Cowboys as a team. Dez is still pretty good as well.

Tim Mazetti likes this

Does anyone not think the eagles have a chance ?? Giants seem like a good team lol but you can't trust them . They lose games they were expected to win and lose games they were expected to lose . 

Jerz likes this

I like the combo of Rod Marinelli and Charles Tapper together. I think Tapper could be one of those guys nobody sees coming, similar to Maliek Collins last year.

2 minutes ago, caponine said:

Does anyone not think the eagles have a chance ?? Giants seem like a good team lol but you can't trust them . They lose games they were expected to win and lose games they were expected to lose . 

the key w/ the Giants is their QB play - for Eli to have won two SuperBowls, he is not exactly the model of consistency - he has the ability to elevate his game in the playoffs but can seem very ordinary at times in a regular season.

My guess would be that he will flourish w/ all these weapons.  You could certainly make the argument that he has the best overall weapons in the NFL now with OBJ, Brandon Marshall, Sterling Shepard and now Evan Engram as a real threat from the TE spot.   Can the G-Men protect Eli?  if they can, they will be a dangerous team - they certainly have the Cowboys number.

54 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

it takes more than just ONE passrusher to make a defense.  Who you like on Cowboys D?  Sean Lee(when healthy), Byron Jones(young safety) - maybe Orlando Scandrick(CB) - none of those guys are superstars.

The only thing that scares me about the Cowboys is Zeke and the O-Line.  Cowboys defense is average at best.

I can see both sides of the coin with this discussion.  I have no fear when it comes to the cowboys defense.  That said, I do think Caponine has a valid point as well.  

With the cowboys offense as capable as they are at controlling the clock and protecting their own defense from over exposure, the thought of them adding a successful  pass rusher who relentlessly pursues the ball is certainly not a great one.  Not for opposing teams at least.  

45 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I am not crapping on the Cowboys as a TEAM - but I am saying their defense is not that talented.  I listed Byron Jones as a good player - don't see anything in your post that makes me change my mind on Cowboys Defense.

They actually got worse on defense w/ some of the defections in the secondary.

Not to mention Jack Crawford coming to the ATL. 

g-dawg likes this

Just now, Atlfanstckndenver said:

I can see both sides of the coin with this discussion.  I have no fear when it comes to the cowboys defense.  That said, I do think Caponine has a valid point as well.  

With the cowboys offense as capable as they are at controlling the clock and protecting their own defense from over exposure, the thought of them adding a successful  pass rusher who relentlessly pursues the ball is certainly not a great one.  Not for opposing teams at least.  

hopefully we can go BIG w/ Poe and Hageman in the middle if need be to stop the Cowboys running game up the middle - if we can stop it up the middle, I feel confident that Debo/Duke/DeVondre can get to the edges to stop the outside runs.

Hey I just realized our top 3 LBs all start w/ the letter "D" - time for another unit nickname "Triple D"? "D-Dogs"? whatcha got?

atlbaby, Tim Mazetti, Vandy and 1 other like this

21 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

hopefully we can go BIG w/ Poe and Hageman in the middle if need be to stop the Cowboys running game up the middle - if we can stop it up the middle, I feel confident that Debo/Duke/DeVondre can get to the edges to stop the outside runs.

Hey I just realized our top 3 LBs all start w/ the letter "D" - time for another unit nickname "Triple D"? "D-Dogs"? whatcha got?

D block

Poe_Boy and Tim Mazetti like this

Just now, atlbaby said:

D block

been there, done that.

Just now, atlbaby said:

D block

kind of boring

8 minutes ago, atlbaby said:

But it's fitting.

D-block there's no escape

must escape - you don't want anything with those bad defenses associated with this new h3LL fire defense!

atlbaby likes this

Yeah, think it's pretty clear Takk would have been gone.

The main question is was he better enough than the next guys to be worth losing a starting TE or OG or another edge (whoever we could have taken in the 2nd/3rd).

We won't really know that until these guys get going.

2 hours ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

Man, the 'Boys would have been even more dangerous with Takk.  Scary stuff!

The 'Boys are scary?  LOL.  Watch the Cowboys implode once again.  Dak's overrated and so is their RB.  Defense is garbage.  The Giants, and Eagles are going to eat them up.  Plus a first place schedule unlike their cakewalk last year and I see 9-7 for the Cowboys. Scary...that's a good one.

51 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

Yeah, think it's pretty clear Takk would have been gone.

The main question is was he better enough than the next guys to be worth losing a starting TE or OG or another edge (whoever we could have taken in the 2nd/3rd).

We won't really know that until these guys get going.

here are the picks from Falcons traded away #63 all the way through just before we picked Duke Riley at #75.  Tell me which of these guys we are picking over Duke Riley:

BUF.png

Dion Dawkins | OT, TempleHeight: 6-4   Weight: 317They need help at right tackle and this is a kid who has starting ability right away. He plays with a nasty streak.

B-

CAR.png

Taylor Moton | OT, Western MichiganHeight: 6-5   Weight: 330It's about time they addressed their offensive line. He was a good, solid player who held his own when matched against the big schools. Can play guard or tackle.

B-

CLE.png

Larry Ogunjobi | DT, CharlotteHeight: 6-3   Weight: 304Big, raw physical player who will help a defense that needs help stopping the run. Nice move.

B

SF.png

Ahkello Witherspoon | CB, ColoradoHeight: 6-3   Weight: 190John Lynch continues to get good players. They need cover player and this kid can handle it.

B+

NO.png

Alvin Kamara | RB, TennesseeHeight: 5-10   Weight: 215I like the player, but why a back after signing Peterson? Weird.

C+

JAC.png

Dawuane Smoot | DE, IllinoisHeight: 6-3   Weight: 255He was on my list of Better-Than players because I think he has good pass-rush ability. Was much better in 2015 than last year.

B+

LAR.png

Cooper Kupp | WR, Eastern WashingtonHeight: 6-2   Weight: 198The Rams need receiver help, but they had other options here that might have helped more. Draft-niks loved Kupp more than the scouts.

C+

MIN.png

Pat Elfein | C, Ohio StateHeight: 6-3   Weight: 300He can play guard or center for a team that needs line help. I like it.

B+

LAC.png

Dan Feeney | OG, IndianaHeight: 6-4   Weight: 305He is a good, college guard who will come in and push for a job right away. A nice pick.

A-

TEN.png

Taywan Taylor | WR, Western KentuckyHeight: 5-11   Weight: 198He was productive in an offense that throws the ball around. I like the pick here to get Marcus Mariota more help.

B

CIN.png

Jordan Willis | DE, Kansas StateHeight: 6-4   Weight: 255This is a heck of a pick. They need an edge rusher and he will push for time at right end right away.

A

BAL.png

Chris Wormley | DT, MichiganHeight: 6-5   Weight: 297There were some scouts who thought he had second-round talent. And they need help up front.

B+

I don't think we showed interest in any of these guys except maybe Jordan Willis and Chris Wormley and we really did not do much w/ Wormley and we were not taking Willis after moving up for Takk.   You could argue that we might would have taken Dan Feeney - but again, Falcons were never linked to him.

No, had we stayed at #63, we probably would have just taken Duke Riley there.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Triple D- all day long.

Edited by citsalp

@takeitdown

so I don't what we end up with had we not made that trade.  Obviously it seems no one was that interested in Jordan Willis until the mid 3rd round - would we have taken him at #31?  doubtful.  Taco Charlton? doubtful.  We did not even work out TJ Watt.

My guess is we probably would have gone something like this:

#1-31) Forrest Lamp

#2-63) Jordan Willis or Duke Riley

#3-95) Duke Riley would have been gone, Saints wanted him.  ____________?

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

@takeitdown

so I don't what we end up with had we not made that trade.  Obviously it seems no one was that interested in Jordan Willis until the mid 3rd round - would we have taken him at #31?  doubtful.  Taco Charlton? doubtful.  We did not even work out TJ Watt.

My guess is we probably would have gone something like this:

#1-31) Forrest Lamp

#2-63) Jordan Willis or Duke Riley

#3-95) Duke Riley or ______________

Yes.  Likely that.

Or

1) Budda Baker/other FS

2) Jordan Willis/Rivers/

3) Duke Riley or best TE available.

Basically, if Takk turns out to be more valuable than Willis, Rivers, by a wide margin, and Watt, then I think it will be seen as a success.  I really hated trading a 3rd in this draft, but I did want a legit edge rusher.  I would have taken Willis or Rivers even after the Takk pick just to nail it (since there were moldable seeming players at our 2nd.)

I think the FO optimal was Takk at 1, Evans (or other FS) at 2, Riley at 3

So it will basically come down to...is Takk + Riley better than Budda + Willis + Riley or TE.  Which will be hard to sort early unless Takk is great or horrible.

Vandy likes this

5 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

Yes.  Likely that.

Or

1) Budda Baker/other FS

2) Jordan Willis/Rivers/

3) Duke Riley or best TE available.

Basically, if Takk turns out to be more valuable than Willis, Rivers, by a wide margin, and Watt, then I think it will be seen as a success.  I really hated trading a 3rd in this draft, but I did want a legit edge rusher.  I would have taken Willis or Rivers even after the Takk pick just to nail it (since there were moldable seeming players at our 2nd.)

I think the FO optimal was Takk at 1, Evans (or other FS) at 2, Riley at 3

So it will basically come down to...is Takk + Riley better than Budda + Willis + Riley or TE.  Which will be hard to sort early unless Takk is great or horrible.

I don't believe Jordan Willis had the distinguishable "get off" that Quinn was looking for - DQ made a big deal of that in the post draft presser and you saw him mention in the film study of Jack Crawford as well.  While Jordan Willis was fast in track shoes - he wasn't on tape - and the game is played on the field - not in track shoes.  As much as I like Budda, I just don't believe we were going to take him.  I think it was probably:

1) Charles Harris

2) Takk McKinley

3) Forrest Lamp

I think it was going to be one of those three - and probably in that exact order.  As I stated earlier, the Saints were gonna take Duke Riley had we not snatched him.

Just now, g-dawg said:

I don't believe Jordan Willis had the distinguishable "get off" that Quinn was looking for - DQ made a big deal of that in the post draft presser and you saw him mention in the film study of Jack Crawford as well.  While Jordan Willis was fast in track shoes - he wasn't on tape - and the game is played on the field - not in track shoes.  As much as I like Budda, I just don't believe we were going to take him.  I think it was probably:

1) Charles Harris

2) Takk McKinley

3) Forrest Lamp

I think it was going to be one of those three - and probably in that exact order.

Could be.  I think Willis's get off is correctable, but it's a gamble.  But that's why I would have taken him in the 2nd round.  If you could get him to just react...get his game speed to his tape speed...you have a monster.

I thought we were going Edge, FS or OT in the 1st, and I think those were all on the table.  But we'll likely never know.  It's definitely a shame the board fell the way it did in the 2nd to not be able to get a FS prospect they liked.  I like our draft overall, but think if it had fallen a little differently, they could have ended up with a starter quality FS, TE and OG.  You can have your scenarios, but sometimes the draft just falls the way it falls.

heck, we all figured that lol I don't think that anyone (I know that I didn't) thought that Takk would fall so far, though. It was a crazy and unpredictable run on offensive players that helped us.

Did you see Mayock's face during the first round? He was like WTF!

g-dawg likes this

3 hours ago, FentayeJones said:

Yeah I don't see anything scary or intimidating about the Dallas defense. The have an average dline - injury prone linebackers and lost almost their entire secondary.

I don't see anything scary about their offense. the Giants (twice) and Vikings showed that their Oline ain't really all that physical