roguebeaver

What are the chances Falcons end up in Cap ****-0 in the near future?

58 posts in this topic

How possible or probable is this considering the deals recently and currently planned? Is this an eventuality? I know TD is smart with money and all, but man, don't want to travel the road Taints are on! 

I want a title and all, but are we headed to the cliff of cap hadies?

Not all that likely. I don't know that we'll see many years where we're huge players in FA but I think we'll keep it together for the majority of the rest of Ryan's career with the team. 

In 2018, we are currently projected to have ~$16m in cap space. That number will go up considerably with the release of players like Schaub (+$4.25), Reed (+$3.6m), Levitre (+7m), a Matthews rework, and a potential cut of Bosher/Toilolo (+$5m together). 

Our contracts are structured in a way that will allow for us to consistently shed non-vital players to remain in good shape. I'm sure at some point, we'll have to make some tough decisions. But the FO/CS keep drafting quality players who contribute, we'll be able to keep our cornerstone pieces. 

9 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

I'm not worried about it. Drafting your own studs is the key to avoiding that. Saints seem to make 2-3 really ridiculous signings every offseason, like Adrian Peterson this year. Signing old guys like that is what get you into cap ****. We'll be fine

That's what I thought. Draft well and extend the exceptional contributors.

I do not follow nor know anything about finances in football.

7 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Not all that likely. I don't know that we'll see many years where we're huge players in FA but I think we'll keep it together for the majority of the rest of Ryan's career with the team. 

In 2018, we are currently projected to have ~$16m in cap space. That number will go up considerably with the release of players like Schaub (+$4.25), Reed (+$3.6m), Levitre (+7m), a Matthews rework, and a potential cut of Bosher/Toilolo (+$5m together). 

Our contracts are structured in a way that will allow for us to consistently shed non-vital players to remain in good shape. I'm sure at some point, we'll have to make some tough decisions. But the FO/CS keep drafting quality players who contribute, we'll be able to keep our cornerstone pieces. 

Bosher?

The raging TD saver on STs?

kevykev21 and falconsd56 like this

11 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

I'm not worried about it. Drafting your own studs is the key to avoiding that. Saints seem to make 2-3 really ridiculous signings every offseason, like Adrian Peterson this year. Signing old guys like that is what get you into cap ****. We'll be fine

What he said! 

When you are a deep team, it keeps you out of free agency and also allows you make the decision to release players and not mess up the integrity of your team as you already have the talent on the team.

Minitaur and Tim Mazetti like this

5 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Draft well and your CAP will never be an issue.  I think we can all agree that TD & Co draft quite well so we will be fine.

I agree that DQ's plan "helps" TD to draft well. 

But I will give credit to pelioli and TD For being good money managers.

Falconsin2012 likes this

18 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Bosher?

The return game is going to continue to decrease in importance. While I appreciate Bosher as a very good NFL punter, its tough to justify spending more than $2m on a punter when you're trying to keep your cap sheet clean. I don't think the occasional (fun as heck) ST play does enough to justify it. 

The key is to keep drafting well, eventually we will not be able to keep everyone.  That's where comp picks come in the equation. Then your back to drafting well, and adding complimentary pieces such as Crawford , Shelby, Reed at reasonable contract prices that don't cause a major ripple on the cap.

After, or shall I say before Shelby's contract expires, (just using his name as part of a rotational players role), you already have another player ready to fill his cleats.  That contract goes away, and newer younger player at a cheaper cap cost takes over, then rinse repeat.

Meanwhile you try to keep your absolute best players at fair but competitive market price considering the position he plays.

I've been in sales my whole life as I'm sure many others have on this board.  The key is to constantly fill your pipeline with new or future customers, same thing as the NFL draft in regards to future new talent.

Managing the cap is one thing TD and Company has done well from the start.  Now we are filling the pipeline.

Falcons are going to be perennial playoff contenders for the foreseeable future, as a fan I'm glad I stayed loyal to them through all the really bad, or mediocre years .

Speaking of Sales, anybody hiring I'm, looking for job.  LOL, but true,

Go Falcons!

Falconsin2012 and Tim Mazetti like this

26 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

The return game is going to continue to decrease in importance. While I appreciate Bosher as a very good NFL punter, its tough to justify spending more than $2m on a punter when you're trying to keep your cap sheet clean. I don't think the occasional (fun as heck) ST play does enough to justify it. 

Best way to avoid having to spend too much on a punter... have an offense that can score on nearly all their drives.:D

ie. don't be in a position where you really ever need to punt very often.

Tim Mazetti likes this

1 hour ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Bosher?

For real. Just watch a video of his TD saving tackles. Not to mention that dude is just about as money as #3 is. I know you don't want to pay too much for a punter, but dang... he may be the best in the league or at least in the conversation.

Tim Mazetti likes this

First off, you don't cut Bosher. That is not a lot to pay for a reliable punter or a reliable tackler on ST's.

Secondly, the probability of us having cap problems is extremely low. We have a ton of core guys under contract for 2018 already. Ryan is up after that, which will make 2019 interesting. But the cap is not anything we have to worry about unless we are really bored with nothing else to talk about.

Tim Mazetti likes this

Depends on exactly what you mean by "cap he||."

What will eventually happen is we have to start making tough choices regarding who we can afford to keep and who we have to let leave. Drafting well helps keep you a good team while making those choices.

Clayborn, Reed and Shelby will be gone in a year or two, depending on the cap space needed.  

And after that, any under-performing contract will be at risk.  

If you draft well, especially in the late rounds, expensive vets are pretty much league-wide stars.  

3 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

It wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit if we re-structructured Bosher to lock him up for the rest of his career. He's been about as good as we could've asked him to be. 5 mil is def too much, but just give him enough money to stay for a few more years. 

Look at Brees last contract they added 3 voidable years on it to spread the cap hit out, what that means is they either have to re-do his deal next year or have an 18 mil cap hit when they let him walk. TD & Co don't sign contracts like that. Saints, and Panthers before Gettleman have made some really dumb cap moves. Falcons have been good with the cap, see no reason for that to change.

Got to keep drafting well to keep their options open.

3 hours ago, Kayoh said:

it all boils down to who they choose to re-sign over the next 3 offseasons. 

They're also helped by the purge from when Quinn got here- got a lot of future dollars off the books by cutting Baker and others.

Depends...  As fans, we tend to get attached to players.  We want to keep all of the great guys.  Right now, we're swimming in talent.

If Blank & Co decide that they want to keep all of the great players that they're getting now, then we are screwed.  If we take a New England approach, and either let people walk, or trade people for draft picks, we could be a very good team for a very long time.  I guess it all depends on if Blank & Co trust the talent acquisition department to continue to do their jobs well.  If they do, and we are smart about who to keep and who to let go, then we're going to be in great shape in the future.