gazoo

Hard to believe how excited most are about 4th and 5th rounders

102 posts in this topic

I've been thinking about this, the message board is all excited about 4th and 5 round draft picks like I've never seen in my 20 years on this message board. We are all stoked about Kazee, Hill, Saubert and Harlow.

Why? Because our last 4  years drafting we've been getting starters and studs out of late rounds. Freeman, Allen, Jarrett, Hardy, Ishmael, Toilolo, Campbell, Schweitzer.......why wouldn't we be excited now?

But lets go back in time and see what we used to get in 4th, 5th and 6th rounds:

Martriz Milner, Doug Datish, Quinn Ojjinaka, Adam Jennings, DeAndre Cobb,  Chauncey Davis, Frank Omiyale, Chad Lavalias, Ertic Pruitt, John Olingar, LaTarence Dunbar, Wayne Bacon, Kevin MacAdam, Martin Bibla, Michael Thompson, Vinny Sutherland, Daren Stone, Kurt Kittner, Khalil Hill, Marino Philyaw, Anthony Midget, Jhndale Carty, Eugene Baker, Jeff Kelly, Eric Thigpin.....

OUR DRAFTS SUCKED ALMOST THE ENTIRE HISTORY UNTIL TD GOT HERE! WE RARELY EVEN GOT A MEDICORE PLAYER OUT OF THESE ROUNDS LET ALONE A STARTER OR STUD. WEVE BEEN RAKING IT IN THE LAST 4 YEARS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, gazoo said:

I've been thinking about this, the message board is all,excited about 4th and 5 round draft picks like I've never seen in my 20 years on this message board. We are all stoked about Kazee, Hill, Saubert and Harlow.

Why? Because our last 4  years drafting we've been getting starters and studs out of late rounds. Freeman, Allen, Jarrett, Hardy, Ishmael, Toilolo, Campbell, Schweitzer.......why wouldn't we be excited now?

But lets go back in time and see what we used to get in 4th, 5th and 6th rounds:

Martriz Milner, Doug Datish, Quinn Ojjinaka, Adam Jennings, DeAndre Cobb,  Chauncey Davis, Frank Omiyale, Chad Lavalias, Ertic Pruitt, John Olingar, LaTarence Dunbar, Wayne Bacon, Kevin MacAdam, Martin Bibla, Michael Thompson, Vinny Sutherland, Daren Stone, Kurt Kittner, Khalil Hill, Marino Philyaw, Anthony Midget.........

OUR DRAFTS SUCKED ALMOST THE ENTIRE HISTORY UNTIL TD GOT HERE! WE RARELY EVEN GOT A MEDICORE PLAYER OUT OF THESE ROUNDS LET ALONE A STARTER OR STUD. WEVE BEEN RAKING IT IN THE LAST 4 YEARS.

Please let it end....

 

 

please...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

The TD debate that is...:tiphat:

This is  about how bad our drafts sucked before TD got here, it's not about TD. Look at those horrible later round draft picks all those years !

it was demoralizing year after year, decade after decade the almost never get anything out of rounds 4-6. As a draftnik,  I've been  paying attention to our draft since 1980!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This draft is easily one of the deepest in a long time.

Heck, I know every Panther fan is excited about every single one of our picks. All could contribute and make the team, and you don't normally see that in drafts.

gazoo and Tim Mazetti like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, FalconAge said:

Brian Hill is the only 4th or 5th rounder I think makes much of an impact, and even then his value will be highest in January.

With Free and Teco we better hope not. Means one if them got hurt

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SamMills51 said:

This draft is easily one of the deepest in a long time.

Heck, I know every Panther fan is excited about every single one of our picks. All could contribute and make the team, and you don't normally see that in drafts.

Good point, this draft in particular really was a deep one.  Falcons aren't the only ones excited about later rounds. 

Complete opposite of the 2012 draft where I know you guys snagged an outstanding player out of 1st round, we smartly use doir 1st rounder to get Julio, but there were busts galore in top of 2012 draft and it was pathetic depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

With Free and Teco we better hope not. Means one if them got hurt

Brian Hill is gonna get his snaps in the postseason regardless of those guys' health.

He is the one guy we have built to find a small crease and fall foreward through contact ....well, other that Poe lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, FalconAge said:

Brian Hill is the only 4th or 5th rounder I think makes much of an impact, and even then his value will be highest in January.

Uh.... I don't look at that as an "even then" statement, that's more of a he will make his BIG IMPACT more to me as that is the money time!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, FalconAge said:

Brian Hill is gonna get his snaps in the postseason regardless of those guys' health.

He is the one guy we have built to find a small crease and fall foreward through contact ....well, other that Poe lol.

He will have to earn that. He wont be giving anything 

RandomFan likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, gazoo said:

I've been thinking about this, the message board is all,excited about 4th and 5 round draft picks like I've never seen in my 20 years on this message board. We are all stoked about Kazee, Hill, Saubert and Harlow.

Why? Because our last 4  years drafting we've been getting starters and studs out of late rounds. Freeman, Allen, Jarrett, Hardy, Ishmael, Toilolo, Campbell, Schweitzer.......why wouldn't we be excited now?

But lets go back in time and see what we used to get in 4th, 5th and 6th rounds:

Martriz Milner, Doug Datish, Quinn Ojjinaka, Adam Jennings, DeAndre Cobb,  Chauncey Davis, Frank Omiyale, Chad Lavalias, Ertic Pruitt, John Olingar, LaTarence Dunbar, Wayne Bacon, Kevin MacAdam, Martin Bibla, Michael Thompson, Vinny Sutherland, Daren Stone, Kurt Kittner, Khalil Hill, Marino Philyaw, Anthony Midget, Jhndale Carty, Eugene Baker, Jeff Kelly, Eric Thigpin.....

OUR DRAFTS SUCKED ALMOST THE ENTIRE HISTORY UNTIL TD GOT HERE! WE RARELY EVEN GOT A MEDICORE PLAYER OUT OF THESE ROUNDS LET ALONE A STARTER OR STUD. WEVE BEEN RAKING IT IN THE LAST 4 YEARS.

Bierman,  was one of the best later round picks we made in that era.I think he was a fifth but may have been a fourth. We had 2 UDFAs in Worr and Bartu, start as rookies in 2014? or was it 13? Either way, that tells you how bad we missed in middle rounds 3-5, where you find some starters, but SHOULD ALWAYS be competent enough to find special teams aces, and either athletic projects, or productive college players that are instant depth, if nothing else. TD has one of the worst eyes for talent when it comes to LBers. He missed on all LB FA, and Lofton was his best pick at the position and he was taken in early second as we all know. TO be fair, there has been tons of DC/OC turnover, and if not for Ryan/White/Julio/Mcclure. TD has a GREAT eye for running back talent, so I'm not a TD basher, bc we all have our Achilles. Mike Smith just seemed to have no clue on the defensive side.

Tim Mazetti likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, youngbloodz said:

He will have to earn that. He wont be giving anything 

As will all the rookies, don't understand your point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FalconAge said:

As will all the rookies, don't understand your point.

With Free and Teco i dont think he will get the opportunity to earn snaps with the offense. Those two are special.

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

With Free and Teco we better hope not. Means one if them got hurt

no it means that that we have a lead and putting in fresh legs to punish an exhausted defense that have been chasing sub 4.4s all day, and breaking ankles with Freeman. We would have used Ward in every game if he were close to Brian Hill. 

TheRisen999 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gazoo said:

I've been thinking about this, the message board is all,excited about 4th and 5 round draft picks like I've never seen in my 20 years on this message board. We are all stoked about Kazee, Hill, Saubert and Harlow.

Why? Because our last 4  years drafting we've been getting starters and studs out of late rounds. Freeman, Allen, Jarrett, Hardy, Ishmael, Toilolo, Campbell, Schweitzer.......why wouldn't we be excited now?

But lets go back in time and see what we used to get in 4th, 5th and 6th rounds:

Martriz Milner, Doug Datish, Quinn Ojjinaka, Adam Jennings, DeAndre Cobb,  Chauncey Davis, Frank Omiyale, Chad Lavalias, Ertic Pruitt, John Olingar, LaTarence Dunbar, Wayne Bacon, Kevin MacAdam, Martin Bibla, Michael Thompson, Vinny Sutherland, Daren Stone, Kurt Kittner, Khalil Hill, Marino Philyaw, Anthony Midget, Jhndale Carty, Eugene Baker, Jeff Kelly, Eric Thigpin.....

OUR DRAFTS SUCKED ALMOST THE ENTIRE HISTORY UNTIL TD GOT HERE! WE RARELY EVEN GOT A MEDICORE PLAYER OUT OF THESE ROUNDS LET ALONE A STARTER OR STUD. WEVE BEEN RAKING IT IN THE LAST 4 YEARS.

That second list made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. Point well made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

no it means that that we have a lead and putting in fresh legs to punish an exhausted defense that have been chasing sub 4.4s all day, and breaking ankles with Freeman. We would have used Ward in every game if he were close to Brian Hill. 

Doubt that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, youngbloodz said:

With Free and Teco i dont think he will get the opportunity to earn snaps with the offense. Those two are special.

We had several games where we allowed teams back by not slowing down the tempo and sustaining clock eating drives with the rush. The Superbowl was only the highest profile one.

Brian Hill's skillset is as a closer, and finishing games is much easier if you give the closest thing we have to a power back steady snaps late in the game and late in the season.

We probably give our top two backs several games to find themselves in Sarks version of our offense, but on the back 9 of the season we see more and more of Hill.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

That second list made me throw up in my mouth a little bit. Point well made.

I didn't even go into all the busts in the  1st ( JA98, Deven Bush, Steve Broussard, Tony Smith, Michael Booker, Bruce Pickens, Lincoln Kennedy, Shawn Collins) 2nd (Jimmy Williams, Nathan Davis, Byron Hanspard, Roger Harper etc)

The good news was we did draft a Hall,of Fame QB in the 1st, bad news is we gave him away to Green Bay.

 

 

vitaman, Vandy and Kaptain Krazy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, papachaz said:

chauncey davis had a few productive years here, out of that list though Gazoo, that's about the only name that meant anything to me though. sad isn't it. 

It's horrible. I went over our later rounds and we just got almost nothing out of them, and you add apt hat to all the high round busts no wonder we struggled all,those years.

its really exciting to see these late round draft picks come in now as we believe we've thoroughly checked them out.

papachaz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now