RandomFan

Get ready for the next wave of NFL free agency

30 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/5/9/15596052/nfl-compensatory-pick-window-closes-free-agency-2017

Get ready for the next wave of NFL free agency

The window for compensatory picks closes today, and players like LeGarrette Blount and Michael Floyd may find new NFL homes now.

by Jeanna Thomas@jeannathomas May 9, 2017, 2:26pm EDT

The window for NFL teams to receive compensatory picks for free agent departures closes today. It may lead to some of the bigger names still on the market to finally find their NFL homes for next season.

The league awards compensatory picks in the draft for teams that lost more players to free agency than they gained, but only for the first two months of the free agency period. Now that it’s expired, perhaps we’ll see players like LeGarrette Blount and Michael Floyd finally sign with new teams.

The Patriots are in line to receive two compensatory picks next season, according to Over The Cap, for the departures of Martellus Bennett and Jabaal Sheard. Once Blount and Floyd do sign with new teams, New England won’t see any additional benefit. Likewise, if the Patriots sign a player who’s still on the market, they won’t lose either of the picks they’re slated to get.

This should appeal to teams interested in landing remaining free agents because it won’t detract from any compensatory picks those teams are already set to receive.

There are several players still available in free agency, like tackle Ryan Clady and center Nick Mangold, who may be more likely to get signed now that teams know it wouldn’t change next year’s compensatory picks. Clady has some injury concerns, and Mangold’s age may be a deterrent, but they’re both stalwart veterans who could help teams with offensive line concerns.

On defense, the top player remaining on our list is linebacker Gerald Hodges. Hodges had three sacks, two interceptions, and 83 total tackles last year for the 49ers, and it’s a bit of a surprise he’s still available. Perhaps the close of the compensatory pick window is what teams were waiting on with Hodges.

It’s a good time for teams to snag these remaining free agents, because it’s still early in the offseason program. Now that compensatory picks aren’t part of the equation, if they do sign with new teams, players will have plenty of time to acclimate before training camp and the preseason begin.

Edited by RandomFan

I'm not on social media at all, unless you want to call TATF that, so I haven't heard anything regarding Freeney's intentions or Quinn and the FO's intentions regarding bringing him back. Has anybody heard anything even semi-factual from anybody on this? I'm kinda curious.

Tim Mazetti and Falcster like this

2 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

I'm not on social media at all, unless you want to call TATF that, so I haven't heard anything regarding Freeney's intentions or Quinn and the FO's intentions regarding bringing him back. Has anybody heard anything even semi-factual from anybody on this? I'm kinda curious.

I have heard nothing.  At this point, I feel like Freeney returning is a long shot.

5 minutes ago, athell said:

I have heard nothing.  At this point, I feel like Freeney returning is a long shot.

Yeah, I think you're right. Would've been nice to have him around one more year for the leadership/mentoring role he played. Seemed to help Beasley a lot.

Drew4719, Falcster, athell and 2 others like this

1 minute ago, PokerSteve said:

Yeah, I think you're right. Would've been nice to have him around one more year for the leadership/mentoring role he played. Seemed to help Beasley a lot.

I have no idea if he has ever expressed an interest to, or if the franchise has ever expressed in, having Freeney return as a DLine coach but it would be the next best thing.  Having Beas and Takk both under a true Coach Freeney would fun to see.

27 minutes ago, athell said:

I have no idea if he has ever expressed an interest to, or if the franchise has ever expressed in, having Freeney return as a DLine coach but it would be the next best thing.  Having Beas and Takk both under a true Coach Freeney would fun to see.

Freeney told Quinn that he wants to return and not retire. From my understanding, Quinn basically put him on the backburner as a fallback option in case we weren't able to draft a pass rusher -- which we obviously ended up getting.

PokerSteve, athell and Drew4719 like this

35 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Freeney told Quinn that he wants to return and not retire. From my understanding, Quinn basically put him on the backburner as a fallback option in case we weren't able to draft a pass rusher -- which we obviously ended up getting.

Yeah, but Freeney doesn't want to participate in training camp and DQ said that is not going to happen.  So I am curious to see how that whole thing turns out.  I guess technically they have until day 1 of training camp before we know for sure but it's been eerily quiet on the Freeney front.

1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

While I don't think re-signing Dwight Freeney is in our plans, IF the Falcons are still considering bringing him back then this could be a reason they have been waiting. We'll soon find out I guess :)

Re-signing Freeney wouldn't of had any impact on our 2018 comp picks though. 

no1gunna21 likes this

Dan Quinn will welcome Dwight Freeney back to Falcons under one condition

Published on Mar. 2, 2017

INDIANAPOLIS — If defensive end Dwight Freeney wants to play in Atlanta in 2017, he needs to decide sooner than later.

Falcons head coach Dan Quinn says he would welcome Freeney’s return for a 16th NFL season. However, Quinn is insistent that Freeney participate in the team’s offseason program rather than sign during training camp like he did for the 2016 campaign.

"The standard is the standard," Quinn told co-host Rick Neuheisel and me on SiriusXM NFL Radio. “If he decides he wants to do it, he’s got to be all in to do it. I don’t want to make special circumstances for anyone in any way."

Although the bulk of NFL offseason workout programs are voluntary in nature, there is an unwritten expectation among franchises that players will participate in the sessions.

Quinn’s stance differs with that of his predecessor. Mike Smith was Falcons head coach in 2013 when Tony Gonzalez missed the bulk of Atlanta's offseason program, which was one of the tight end’s conditions for returning.

Quinn said he hasn’t spoken with Freeney about his intentions for this season. Quoting a source, USA Today reported earlier this week that Freeney is planning to continue his playing career.

Freeney, a seven-time Pro Bowl selection who ranks 18th on the NFL’s all-time sack list with 122.5, finished last season with 10 tackles and three sacks as a rotational player. His impact also could be felt in other areas like team leadership and the mentoring of second-year outside linebacker Vic Beasley, who registered a league-high 15.5 sacks after notching just four as a rookie.

Yeah. So the math says Freeney plans on playing this year instead of retiring. He wants to be here. Freeney isn't currently on the roster. The only possible reason for that is Quinn and TD have some reason behind it.

1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

Yeah. So the math says Freeney plans on playing this year instead of retiring. He wants to be here. Freeney isn't currently on the roster. The only possible reason for that is Quinn and TD have some reason behind it.

ooor it's the exact same reason that Freeney didn't sign till late last year; ie. that he doesn't want to participate in the offseason workouts.

If so, he's done being a Falcon.

AndySG, athell, Falcster and 1 other like this

I'd give Freeney till the start of mini camp. If he hasn't signed by then, then my best guess is we're moving on.

Quinn was very clear he'd have to participate to stay a Falcon.

athell likes this

I think people are misunderstanding what I was implying. Freeney likely doesn't have an available roster spot anymore. That spot vanished once Takk was drafted. The reason Freeney isn't on the roster is because he hasn't been offered a contract, not because he is trying to wait on signing.

papachaz likes this

Wherever it is, I hope Freeney can land a spot somewhere if he wants to keep playing.  He's a good teammate, and many may not know that he was swindled out of $20+ million by financial advisors, etc.  Even though he still can play, it's probably a reason why he hasn't called it a career yet...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/agoodman/2015/07/27/what-really-happened-in-the-scheme-that-cost-dwight-freeney-millions/

4 hours ago, RandomFan said:

While I don't think re-signing Dwight Freeney is in our plans, IF the Falcons are still considering bringing him back then this could be a reason they have been waiting. We'll soon find out I guess :)

as far as I know, resigning your own guys has no effect on comp picks

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Romfal said:

as far as I know, resigning your own guys has no effect on comp picks

Yeah... I also didn't get the correlation there. Seems as if poster was suggesting we would lose a pick for re-signing Freeney when he is/was one of own FAs. 

Edit: Unless the thought is/was we were waiting for Freeney to perhaps sign with another team to gain a comp pick. 

In which case Freeney may not have played enough snaps to warrant anything more than a seventh, or perhaps sixth-rounder. 

Edited by Kung-Pow

According to the article I posted above Quinn and Freeney haven't talked directly. The only way I see Freeney re-signing is if  Clayborn and or McKinley starts the season on the PUP, or they plan on moving Reed to SLB.

Herr Doktor likes this

1 hour ago, Cole World said:

According to the article I posted above Quinn and Freeney haven't talked directly. The only way I see Freeney re-signing is if  Clayborn and or McKinley starts the season on the PUP, or they plan on moving Reed to SLB.

I'm not sure how Clayborn recovery is going but this was posted on his twitter April 13

I can't golf yet bruh. I ripped my bicep off the bone a couple months back trying to tackle someone with one arm that's way faster than me.

14 hours ago, YoungHeezy said:

Ryan Clady could be worth a look for swing tackle. His starting days are behind him. 

Depending on what Mangold needs he would be great insurance for Mack, but IDK that he can kick out to guard or not. But if we have Mangold last year we win the sb. It's just a super luxury aquisition. I can feel Clady for the same insurance, depending on price.

Vandy and YoungHeezy like this

I hope somehow we bring Feeney back he was good for Beasley and needs to be here for Tack and good for the GO and our run. Sometimes it is the little unsung thingame that makes a champion. Feeney is who he is, does what he does. I hope we can get him back.

Yeah. I would like Freeny back as well. He's mentoring really helped players like Vic and Hags. I think he could help Takk out as well.

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Cole World said:

That article is over two months old. I'm pretty sure Quinn has talked to Freeney by now. Agree with you about the Clayborn or McKinley injuries maybe helping him get a spot. But there is zero chance Reed is moved back to SLB.

Edited by RandomFan
Cole World likes this

7 hours ago, Cole World said:

I'm not sure how Clayborn recovery is going but this was posted on his twitter April 13

I can't golf yet bruh. I ripped my bicep off the bone a couple months back trying to tackle someone with one arm that's way faster than me.

That is a no ******** injury.  I have a buddy who had his bicep ripped off the bone towards the shoulder.  He has never regained the strength he had.  That's an injury people retire over.