gazoo

The Falcoholic Projects Saubert to be worked into passing game over Perkins

73 posts in this topic

I was pulling for Perkins.  I still think he could be a player for us.  Nice to have a lot of competition for TE for a change.  It's exciting to see our talented team actually keep trying to improve.  Dan Quinn has been amazing for this franchise.  AND THERE WERE FOLKS ON HERE SCREAMING FOR REX RYAN!!!  Bwahaha! 

4 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

I was pulling for Perkins.  I still think he could be a player for us.  Nice to have a lot of competition for TE for a change.  It's exciting to see our talented team actually keep trying to improve.  Dan Quinn has been amazing for this franchise.  AND THERE WERE FOLKS ON HERE SCREAMING FOR REX RYAN!!!  Bwahaha! 

Here is the beautiful thing regarding Perkins. I expect we will keep 4 TEs as we did last year.  That makes it almost certain to me Perkins will make the roster. With Saubert being so far behind, I think Perkins gets a legit shot to show us what he has early in the season as he's got a year in the system and can definitely get down field.

RE Rex Ryan......OMG, I couldn't believe the pandemonium on tis board that year with the AJC doing all it could to make Arthur Blank look like a bumbling, foolish owner in over his head as coaches kept getting signed.  Then, we find out later Blank already knew exactly who he was going to hire and what an awesome hire it was/  The AJC never apologized for their horrible coverage of that offseason. Shultz and Bradley were venomous toward Blank during that period.

On 5/7/2017 at 4:20 PM, gazoo said:

We have to see how camp shakes out and how Saubert adapts to new offense, but at this point I have no doubt we drafted Saubert exactly as a perfect fit for Sarks play calling tendencies.

again , we ran split wide TE sets last year but Sark uses them more than Shanny did. 

Saibert does run like a receiver which is amazing for how big he is

He is starting to sound like that NE TE I have heard of that likes to party a lot! 

I forget his name though.... B)

gazoo likes this

17 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Yes there were but the majority were split between Quinn and the guy(I forget his name) that went to the Jets.

yes, my memory is going in my age. Not sure where it's just headed though.. B)

Herr Doktor likes this

5 minutes ago, quickzero said:

Can you guys imagine Perkins and Saubert streaking down the field? We have speed all over the place.

Yep, we can get deep on them from so many areas now we can match up with any defense. It's very exciting!

quickzero likes this

37 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Yep, we can get deep on them from so many areas; now we can match up with any defense. It's very exciting!

Yea i know! Very interested to see this team take the field. Even the preseason games. Fuller is guy i want to see play ans develop.

falcoatlantae likes this

5 hours ago, quickzero said:

Yea i know! Very interested to see this team take the field. Even the preseason games. Fuller is guy i want to see play ans develop.

I keep forgetting about Fuller. Heck yeah I can't wait to see him run back some kicks! More speed!

18 hours ago, gazoo said:

I totally understand your position.

The likelihood of a 5th rounder sticking around for 3 years is 20%. His odds are not good and I know that.

I simply love he developmental side of the equation and trying to figure out where his skill set would translate in our offensive scheme. To me this is a fun part of following the Falcons, following the young developmental guys.

While there is nothing wrong with fans who don't get excited about players until they prove themselves,, I do get excited about late round draft picks who's skill sets look like they could help us at some point down the road.

In other words, I'm not excited about what he will do, I'm excited about what he might do his second season. As a fifth round pick is up against very difficult odds.

Well said

gazoo likes this

1 hour ago, Flying Falcon said:

Question for you Sark guys: Does Sark like to throw to his backs out the backfield?

Don't know the answer to that for  previous stops for Sark, but with Ryan, Free and Coleman, he'll love throwing to the back out of the backfield now.

On 5/7/2017 at 3:52 PM, gazoo said:

This is pretty much what I anticipated and am in complete agreement with the Falcoholic. He also projects we will use TEs more in passing game this year than last year.

We needed to draft a TE who could get downfield in passing game for Sarks tendency to  use his TEs  flexed out way more than even Shanny used them. We needed to draft one that had some strong upside to compete with undrafted developmental projects Perkins and Tailavia. 

Saubert fits the bill with 2nd most receiving yards and TDs for TEs per game in the country last year. That's very strong production in passing game.

He has good speed at 4.65, but what separates him from he pack is he has outstanding burst out of his cuts and runs precise routes. For being 6'5" and 253lbs the dude runs like a WR.

Matt Ryan is going to love  this guy by year 2 but this year Saubert will spend most of it steep in the learning curve. If he catches on quickly getting 10 or 15 reception throughout the regular season, and he is very intelligent, he may really help us come playoffs.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2017/5/7/15567008/how-will-the-falcons-divvy-up-passing-game-targets-in-2017-julio-jones-taylor-gabriel-austin-hooper

I haven't read much more on Saubert. I'm still nursing my Hodges snub butt-hurt

Vandy and gazoo like this

39 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Bishop Sankey.

Yep, he caught 61 passes his last two seasons in college.

Vandy likes this

1 minute ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

I haven't read much more on Saubert. I'm still nursing my Hodges snub butt-hurt

Lol, I get it.

I was mad at Shanny for snagging my guy, George Kittle, 2 selections before we picked next. I didn't even know who Saubert was until we drafted him!

Vandy likes this

Unless Saubert shows some genius acumen from rookie TC through regular TC through preseason, I can't see him doing anything to challenge Perkins.

25 minutes ago, Statick said:

Unless Saubert shows some genius acumen from rookie TC through regular TC through preseason, I can't see him doing anything to challenge Perkins.

If you are talking about this year only that very well may be. If Saubert does anything this year it will be late in season. Sauberts head is going to be swimming most of the season just learning the playbook and how to determine what routes to run on options.

Now, if the question is which player has more upside my answer is unequivocally Saubert. This upside wouldn't even show up until 2018 season if it shows up at all. We are talking about a 5th round draft  pick here. He had far more a chance of being out of the NFL in 3 seasons than he does becoming a good player.

On 5/7/2017 at 8:40 PM, gazoo said:

I don't think anyone here believes Hooper isn't good and I've not seen anyone underestimating him.

I think Hooper is going to break out this year and I already love him.

Tha said, Hooper and Saubert are different players with different skill sets. Together I think they complement each other.

i told you we absolutely would draft a TE, and I said most likely it would be in 5th or 6th round, and we did. 

Should have said 4th and 5th rounds to cover your bases, since we didn't have the 6th. Just busting your balls, but tht is where is saw us drafting one, and after the trde up I was like there goes Hodges and Kittles, my two favorite from the draft(besides Howard). I just hope Saubert doesn't have skillet hands like I've read on Zerlein's scouting report. His cons say he has poor eye-hand coordination, and has very inconsistent hands. But some of our best WRs had skillet hands when they came in. Finneran, Roddy, and even JJ come to mind. I have read that he is a much better YAC guy than one would think, which could be the reason that pushed him past Hodges, who is not a big YAC guy despite his athletic abilities. I just am weary about taking questionable talent at low level competition, when there is elite athleticism that played in the ACC and had success at that level left on the board. 

gazoo likes this

1 minute ago, gazoo said:

If you are talking about this year only that very well may be. If Saubert does anything this year it will be late in season. Sauberts head is going to be swimming most of the season just learning the playbook and how to determine what routes to run on options.

Now, if the question is which player has more upside my answer is unequivocally Saubert. This upside wouldn't even show up until 2018 season if it shows up at all. We are talking about a 5th round draft  pick here. He had far more a chance of being out of the NFL in 3 seasons than he does becoming a good player.

Yep. No only does he have to worry about routes, but blocking, too.

5th round aside, Perkins was an UDFA who made the team.

53 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Lol, I get it.

I was mad at Shanny for snagging my guy, George Kittle, 2 selections before we picked next. I didn't even know who Saubert was until we drafted him!

Random was hurt  when we weren't able to trade up and grab his guy Evan Engram.....

:rolleyes:

20 hours ago, gazoo said:

Lol, I get it.

Kittle and Hodges were almost identical athletes testing at the combine. Kittle was maybe my favorite( bc of route development). I was bummed when he was drafted, and I can't believe he made it to the 5th. I like Hooper but we picked the wrong year to use a third on a TE. I liked Shaheen a lot too but had no iea he would go that far. I had him as a 3rd-5th rnd. If we had gotten kittle in the 5th, that might have been the best 5th round draft choices in NFL history. 

gazoo likes this