vel

Defense's Speed

14 posts in this topic

I know everybody knows "Fast and Physical" by now. It's been everywhere and repeatedly countless times in the past two seasons since DQ got here and I think we've all gotten the message, but I think there is a part that people are overlooking. Reaction speed or closing speed. This is the biggest difference I notice between the old defenses we've had and the players MS preferred to the new defense and the players DQ prefers. It's not just 10 yard splits neither. It's that feel for what's happening and jumping on plays as soon as they happen. 

Deion Jones, Keanu Neal, and even Brian Poole have ridiculous reaction speeds. Trufant may be the only holdover from Smitty that had ridiculous reaction speed. When a pass is thrown, our defenders are on them. What made me think about it was Damontae Kazee's highlight tape. He's reaction speed is just as crazy and I think that's the kind of speed DQ is talking about it. It lets a guy play to his timed speed. A guy can be timed at a 4.5 forty but if he's slow to react, he can play at a 4.8 speed, which is not fast at all. That's why Keanu Neal seems like he's everywhere, even though he's not the fastest safety out there. 

It's hard to apply this to DL, which is where their explosive movements trump all since they are getting the jump on the snap. But the rest of the defense definitely encompasses this unique ability to react quickly and truly play to their timed speed. Just look out our LBs now, Debo, Campbell, Riley, versus when DQ first got here, Spoon, Worrilow, Bartu. Night and day. 

I was noticing the closing speed from Neal, Debo first couple of games, then later in season Poole and Campbell.

Ball carriers were getting hit immediately, holes closed Super fast, ball carriers going down at first contact. 

Another thing about these fast defense is they are a heck of a lot more fun to watch than the read and react defenses. 

Riley really fits the bill. 

Another thing about Neal is he got really good at covering TEs as the season came to a close too.

Kung-Pow likes this

Great post and I agree.  The term "fast and physical" isn't even close to being a motto or cliche.  It's engrained into this team's dna at this point.  It shows up on the field and in the front office. Those ct scores are important too.  It's also pretty clear that the coaching staff's philosophy is heavily influenced by this. They appear to have done a great job at getting these players to be free and instinctive when it matters. That's a lot easier said than done. 

hate to sound like I'm beating up on Rico but that's why I'm disappointed in him. by all accounts he's a leader in the secondary and he has the guys over to his home to review film and prepare for games and with all that, he still seems to be a tad late on plays. he does a pretty good job but I'd like to see him read plays quicker and be a playmaker, we need him to pick up his game in year two of playing FS

CellarBoor likes this

Intentions.

Outside of what posters have mentioned I like the intentions of what our players arrive with when getting to the ball carrier.

My whole thing with speed is to me it means we can get good numbers to the ball.In a league where matchups are key Im loving what we are going to look like this season.

Kung-Pow and Falcan Moore like this

22 minutes ago, raysnill1 said:

hate to sound like I'm beating up on Rico but that's why I'm disappointed in him. by all accounts he's a leader in the secondary and he has the guys over to his home to review film and prepare for games and with all that, he still seems to be a tad late on plays. he does a pretty good job but I'd like to see him read plays quicker and be a playmaker, we need him to pick up his game in year two of playing FS

He's got the hardest job on the defense. I give him more leeway than the other guys because he truly is the key. Look at when SEA lost ET. They fell apart on defense. ET didn't become ET overnight. Took him a few years. Allen was good late in the season and the playoffs. He's been busting *** and a major key for the defense's growth. 

It's the difference between reading/reacting with Smitty and just Attacking with Q. It was talked about a lot when Quinn first got here, and it's really been the difference. The players that could transition to the new philosophy have stayed and gotten better, whereas those that could never stop overthinking (Worr) have moved on. 

I saw it year one with this defense, and I knew Q was for real. Our defense was fun to watch again, because we weren't just sitting back and letting the play come to us, we were going after the ball. Yeah, maybe one of our players would read a play wrong once in a while and it hurt us, but we were Fun to watch. Now we're starting to play that way without the mistakes. I'm looking forward to this year.

1 hour ago, vel said:

He's got the hardest job on the defense. I give him more leeway than the other guys because he truly is the key. Look at when SEA lost ET. They fell apart on defense. ET didn't become ET overnight. Took him a few years. Allen was good late in the season and the playoffs. He's been busting *** and a major key for the defense's growth. 

Absolutely. I keep stressing how he played at the end of the season and throughout the playoffs. He balled out. And part of it is he didn't have to clean up rookie mistakes as much and the other part is comfortability within the system and that helped him play faster. 2 picks in the playoffs. I have a feeling he will have a pro bowl season if the dline plays how they did in the playoffs and above and the young linebackers continue to play like they did at seasons end.  

Allen doesn't have the the speed to correct his mistake if he reads a play wrong, which is why he is seemingly slow to diagnose where the play is going.

Ultra-high C/T, but his lack of footspeed is a drag on the overall defense.

It's funny you mention closing speed. I saw a stat last season that said Neal had the second fastest closing speed in the NFL- the only player faster was Kam Chancellor. 

JDaveG likes this

6 hours ago, Falcan Moore said:

Exactly why seeing Kazee work some reps at FS is so intriguing. Not expecting anything overnight, but that dude trusts what he sees and acts on it like that. 

have you noticed that despite his lack of timed long speed, that he covers quite a bit of range? I like the pick more and more