Followers 0
blkbigdog35

Hawks Off Season Thread

62 posts in this topic

Damm Dwight wtf bro!!! :shrug:

Dwight Howard pulled over hours before Hawks eliminated in Game 6

ESPN.com news services

ESPN.com | 7:42 PM ET

Atlanta Hawks center Dwight Howard was pulled over for speeding in the early morning hours of April 28 -- the same day as the Hawks' series-ending Game 6 loss to the Washington Wizards in the first round.

Howard was going 95 mph in a 65 mph zone, prompting Dunwoody, Georgia, police to pull him over, according to the police report obtained by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Upon questioning Howard, police learned the Hawks center was driving on a suspended registration and without insurance.

Howard was ticketed for lack of insurance, given a verbal warning for speeding and had his car towed.

The Hawks were eliminated 115-99 in a game that tipped off less than 18 hours after Howard's incident.

An Atlanta native, Howard had nine points and seven rebounds over 23 minutes -- the fewest minutes by any of the Hawks' starters in Game 6.

For the series, Howard averaged just eight points and 10.7 rebounds in 26.2 minutes.

Yea.. poor judgement of his behalf.. 

gotta love journalism.. pulled over hours before.. 18 hours before...

NBA Mock Draft 2017: Atlanta Hawks tied to UCLA’s Ike Anigbogu

by Brad Rowland@BTRowland May 9, 2017, 10:00am EDT

Peachtree Hoops  

Mock draft season is beginning to pick up and the Atlanta Hawks are in an interesting spot with two picks within the top 31 of the 2017 NBA Draft. With that, some names continue to pop up with regularity but an interesting one came to the forefront in a recent mock draft from Chris Stone of FanSided’s The Step Back.

With the No. 19 pick, the mock projects Atlanta to select UCLA big man Ike Anigbogu and the rationale stems from the need to potentially replace Dwight Howard.

Whether or not the Atlanta Hawks would be willing to swing for the fences with a project at No. 19 is an open question, but there’s certainly no debate that the Dwight Howard homecoming experiment hasn’t gone as planned and the team will soon need to find a viable replacement. UCLA’s Ike Anigbogu could offer some of the same strengths that a younger Howard used to bring to the game in terms of pick-and-roll play and rim protection should he pan out.

While everyone may not agree with that logic, Anigbogu is a (very) talented prospect that also happens to be just 18 years old with strong measurables and high-end athleticism. Stone describes him in this fashion:

Anigbogu is one of the youngest players in the class, though, and he’ll need some time to smooth out the rough edges. He played just 13.0 minutes per game for the Bruins this season, but put up impressive numbers (14.5 points, 12.4 rebounds and 3.7 blocks) when adjusted for a per 40 minutes basis.

The attraction to Anigbogu as a prospect stems largely from his long wingspan and athleticism. If he can learn to harness those things, he has the potential to be one of the best rim protectors in the 2017 draft class. However, right now, he simply can’t stay on the floor long enough to make an impact. Anigbogu averaged 7.6 fouls per 40 minutes during his freshman season. Atlanta may not be willing to take this risk on draft night, but if they do, it could pay off down the line.

Anigbogu ranks as the No. 18 prospect overall by both ESPN and DraftExpress at this early juncture and that places him well within the range of possible outcomes for the Hawks at No. 19. As noted above, this would be anything but a safe pick for Atlanta given the (very) limited exposure to Anigbogu as a bench player for only one college season. Still, it might be time for the Hawks to start taking upside picks and, if the likes of Jarrett Allen and Justin Patton are off the board at center, Ike Anigbogu might be an interesting target.

What do you think of this possibility?

© 2017 Vox Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved Sports data © STATS 2016

If we can get his salary off the books then I am for it.  I want a dedicated Howard not one that will bi.tch and moan about his lack of playing time.  I have always heard if you are complaining then do something about it.   

20 minutes ago, usmcdirtybird said:

If we can get his salary off the books then I am for it.  I want a dedicated Howard not one that will bi.tch and moan about his lack of playing time.  I have always heard if you are complaining then do something about it.   

I'm in the boat of he did what he was asked to do.. rim protector and rebounder.. being his first year in the system, there had to be some learning curve.. there was an obvious connection with Sap and Dennis, maybe stemming from the extra time together.. I'm open to giving him another year but do think a replacement needs to be drafted.. my .02..

blkbigdog35 likes this

Agreed and I think coach Bud has to change the offense to accommodate his skill set. Need a young big and backup point in this draft. We have to start grooming some guys to go along with Dennis and Taurean.

TheTrue7 likes this

2 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Agreed and I think coach Bud has to change the offense to accommodate his skill set. Need a young big and backup point in this draft. We have to start grooming some guys to go along with Dennis and Taurean.

Really wish Bembry would have gotten some burn in the playoffs.. never know, may have a backup pg already..

3 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Really wish Bembry would have gotten some burn in the playoffs.. never know, may have a backup pg already..

I hated that too. Lets hope Coach Bud realizes what he may have with this young man. Check out the latest mock draft link. I could get down with these picks for the hawks. http://www.nbadraft.net/2017mock_draft

10 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

I hated that too. Lets hope Coach Bud realizes what he may have with this young man. Check out the latest mock draft link. I could get down with these picks for the hawks. http://www.nbadraft.net/2017mock_draft

Not bad.. first things first though.. who's gonna captain this draft ship?

1 minute ago, TheTrue7 said:

Not bad.. first things first though.. who's gonna captain this draft ship?

I will post a link of the latest candidates.

On 5/11/2017 at 6:39 PM, TheTrue7 said:

I'm in the boat of he did what he was asked to do.. rim protector and rebounder.. being his first year in the system, there had to be some learning curve.. there was an obvious connection with Sap and Dennis, maybe stemming from the extra time together.. I'm open to giving him another year but do think a replacement needs to be drafted.. my .02..

I feel you but if we can move him and it opens up cap room then we have to do it.  

1 hour ago, usmcdirtybird said:

I feel you but if we can move him and it opens up cap room then we have to do it.  

Between Howard, Baze, Sap and THj, there's gonna be a lot of financial decisions here this offseason.. 

Just now, TheTrue7 said:

Between Howard, Baze, Sap and THj, there's gonna be a lot of financial decisions here this offseason.. 

Have to leave: Baze

If leave then will hurt but helps overall: Howard

Priority: Sap and THJ (No particular order

Bazeless has to go to improve this team.  

2 minutes ago, usmcdirtybird said:

Have to leave: Baze

If leave then will hurt but helps overall: Howard

Priority: Sap and THJ (No particular order

Bazeless has to go to improve this team.  

Who will GM this will tell all..

Just now, TheTrue7 said:

Who will GM this will tell all..

I am nervous if Joe Dumars gets in here.  I do not want David Griffin, Lebron is the GM in Cleveland.  

I like the guy in Oklahoma except for giving Adams 25 million a year and Oladipo 21 million a year.  

Who do you like?  I would love Joe Dumars as President of Basketball operations and GM to another person.  I would like the staff to have several former GMs on staff.  

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, usmcdirtybird said:

I am nervous if Joe Dumars gets in here.  I do not want David Griffin, Lebron is the GM in Cleveland.  

I like the guy in Oklahoma except for giving Adams 25 million a year and Oladipo 21 million a year.  

Who do you like?  I would love Joe Dumars as President of Basketball operations and GM to another person.  I would like the staff to have several former GMs on staff.  

Dumars is somewhat growing on me but I'm more intrigued by Simon with Miami or Branch due to his connections with team USA.. 

Edited by TheTrue7

Dumars would be okay, don't know much about Simon or Branch but I want a guy who knows how to build a roster without breaking the bank on garbage players like bazemore.

Dumars on Hawks’ GM opening: ‘I’m one of the names ... we’ll see what happens’

JuliaKate E. Culpepper The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

ajc | 9:32 a.m. Monday, May 15, 2017Sports

Former Detroit Pistons president of basketball operations Joe Dumars is rumored to be one of the candidates being considered for the Atlanta Hawks general manager position.

Last week, Rachel Nichols of ESPN’s “The Jump” asked Dumars about the rumors connecting him and the Hawks.

“It’s an honor to be considered for any of these jobs,” Dumars said “There’s only 30 of these jobs in the world. If I’m fortunate enough to be with the Hawks or anyone else, I look at it as a great opportunity because these are tough jobs.

“I have a lot of respect for anybody that’s doing these jobs because I know how hard it is. I don’t have any news to announce so in terms of the Hawks, I don’t have any news to announce. I’m one of the names and we’ll see what happens.”

Dumars’ comments about his interest in the Hawks’ general manager position can be heard beginning at 6:26 in the video below.

Dumars held his executive position with the Pistons from 2000-2014 when it was announced he would step down, but remain an advisor.

League sources say Joe Dumars and David Griffin are expected to emerge as candidates in the Hawks' search for a new lead front-office voice
— Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) May 5, 2017

In early May, former Hawks’ general manager Wes Wilcox resigned from his position and coach Mike Budenholzer stepped down as president of basketball operations. The Hawks plan to have the general manager position filled before the NBA Draft in June.

©2017 Cox Media Group

Atlanta Hawks considering Dumars, Billups and Barry for GM job

by Brad Berreman1 hour ago

FanSided  

As a front office restructuring goes on, the Atlanta Hawks seem to be ramping up their search for a new general manager.

Earlier this month the power structure of the Hawks began to take a new shape. Head coach Mike Budenholzer relinquished his role as team president, and general manager Wes Wilcox was reassigned to another role in the organization. Now the Hawks seem to be pushing toward hiring a new general manager.

The list of candidates the Hawks are considering for their general manager position, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of The Vertical, includes Joe Dumars, Chauncey Bullups and Brent Barry. Cavaliers general manager David Griffin is also a potential candidate, since his contract expires at the end of June, but the Hawks will have to get in line behind the Orlando Magic to interview him.

Among Dumars, Billups and Barry, only Dumars has any NBA front office experience. He was President of Basketball Operations for the Detroit Pistons from 2000-2014, building back-to-back NBA Finals teams (one title) Billups played on along the way.

Billups became an analyst at ESPN after retiring in 2014. He also reportedly recently agreed to a new multi-year deal with the network, continuing with an expanded role, so another career move may not be on Billups’ agenda so quickly.

Barry is of course one of Hall of Famer Rick Barry’s sons, and played in the NBA from 1995-2009. He currently works as an analyst for Turner Sports (NBA TV/TNT).

The Hawks are interested in multiple candidates that are working for other teams, as they should be. The notable exceptions are Billups and Barry, who have experience in a different type of player analysis. That kind of analysis can be transferable, to some degree. But being a general manager is a different sort of accountability and pressure if you’re wrong often enough.

4 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Atlanta Hawks considering Dumars, Billups and Barry for GM job

by Brad Berreman1 hour ago

FanSided  

As a front office restructuring goes on, the Atlanta Hawks seem to be ramping up their search for a new general manager.

Earlier this month the power structure of the Hawks began to take a new shape. Head coach Mike Budenholzer relinquished his role as team president, and general manager Wes Wilcox was reassigned to another role in the organization. Now the Hawks seem to be pushing toward hiring a new general manager.

The list of candidates the Hawks are considering for their general manager position, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of The Vertical, includes Joe Dumars, Chauncey Bullups and Brent Barry. Cavaliers general manager David Griffin is also a potential candidate, since his contract expires at the end of June, but the Hawks will have to get in line behind the Orlando Magic to interview him.

Among Dumars, Billups and Barry, only Dumars has any NBA front office experience. He was President of Basketball Operations for the Detroit Pistons from 2000-2014, building back-to-back NBA Finals teams (one title) Billups played on along the way.

Billups became an analyst at ESPN after retiring in 2014. He also reportedly recently agreed to a new multi-year deal with the network, continuing with an expanded role, so another career move may not be on Billups’ agenda so quickly.

Barry is of course one of Hall of Famer Rick Barry’s sons, and played in the NBA from 1995-2009. He currently works as an analyst for Turner Sports (NBA TV/TNT).

The Hawks are interested in multiple candidates that are working for other teams, as they should be. The notable exceptions are Billups and Barry, who have experience in a different type of player analysis. That kind of analysis can be transferable, to some degree. But being a general manager is a different sort of accountability and pressure if you’re wrong often enough.

Please hire no one from the Knicks.  They might bring the zen poison here