Joey563

Falcons looking to move up from 31st spot

103 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, stizz said:

Trader TD never moves down and I don't see why he should when all of his trade ups have worked out.

He moved down in the second last draft and gained a 6 round pick and still drafted Debo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Falcan Moore said:

Trade up? Sounds Reddickulous.

>_>

Really, the dude is Khalil Mack esque. Favorite player in the draft. Couldn't be angry if we landed him somehow, imho he's as close to a sure thing as there is in the draft. 

If we traded up for Lamp or Willis I'd lose it though

Bingo bango bongo 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, stizz said:

Trader TD never moves down and I don't see why he should when all of his trade ups have worked out.

Never traded the tops of 2 drafts to get a player until he did.

This could be the year for a trade down. If a couple of QB hungry teams want  to trade back into the first round, he could get an offer that makes sense to trade back for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clark said:

This is merely Bedwetter's interpretation from the press conference yesterday, where TD mentioned the possibility of moving up and back. Bedwetter added the title to get more clicks.  Nothing to see here.

Not really.

I heard Dimitroff's interview w/ John Fricke this morning on 92.9 (fyi, Fricke is worst sportstalk guy I have EVER heard) - and Fricke actually did an OK job in the interview.

Talking draft philosophy and moving up/down,   TD sounded like someone that would like to move up again - he did not come right out and say they were moving up - but he reiterated that he is an aggressive drafter and won't sit passively if he sees a player he wants drop into a range where he could stomach what he would have to give up to get there.

Taking what Dimitroff said yesterday at the press conference and what he said today w/ 92.9/Fricke interview, my guess is if "their guy" gets into the late teens or early 20's - they would move up if they can find a partner and the price is OK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

Not really.

I heard Dimitroff's interview w/ John Fricke this morning on 92.9 (fyi, Fricke is worst sportstalk guy I have EVER heard) - and Fricke actually did an OK job in the interview.

Talking draft philosophy and moving up/down,   TD sounded like someone that would like to move up again - he did not come right out and say they were moving up - but he reiterated that he is an aggressive drafter and won't sit passively if he sees a player he wants drop into a range where he could stomach what he would have to give up to get there.

Taking what Dimitroff said yesterday at the press conference and what he said today w/ 92.9/Fricke interview, my guess is if "their guy" gets into the late teens or early 20's - they would move up if they can find a partner and the price is OK.

Sure, TD is obviously known for his aggression in moving up.  They even joked about it in the presser yesterday.  I didn't hear the interview this morning and Bedwetter's article was written yesterday so I figured it was more speculation on his part than anything.  Like many others have said though, this is the same song and dance every draft.  Its clockwork at this point but I also wouldn't be surprised at all if we moved up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Legendary SB said:

It would cost our 2018 1st to move up.  Don't do it!

As long as we get an extra second in 2018 I wouldn't be upset losing the 32nd pick with 2 second round picks. The 31st and 32nd picks are essentially second round picks anyway. And what you can't get in the 1st get that in FA. And you still have two picks in the second. We're now built to make a move like this with all the competitive talent on the roster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay let's correct a few things here....

1) The Falcons have moved back twice, not once, in the Dimitroff era. They also traded back in 2012. 

2) The headline doesnt match what was said at the presser. Saying "there will be opportunities" is not "looking to move up" They also discussed the opportunities to move back to the mid-30s. Are we "looking to trade down?"

3) D-Led consistently talks about the draft like someone who stopped paying attention to the league 20 years ago. And whenever you call him on it, he just says "Ron Wolfe taught me!" 

Look...maybe we trade up. Maybe we trade back. Who knows. But acting like a player like Charles Harris is guaranteed to be "long gone" is silly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever some may assume based on my comments, I don't consider myself a TD hater. He's been a slightly better than average GM that has had good drafts and bad. But notice that the Patriots always move back and gain picks and TD always moves up. Just saying...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ShanghaiDirtyBird said:

Whatever some may assume based on my comments, I don't consider myself a TD hater. He's been a slightly better than average GM that has had good drafts and bad. But notice that the Patriots always move back and gain picks and TD always moves up. Just saying...

The fact that he's been the GM for 9 seasons suggests that he's significantly better than average. And the fact that those 9 seasons have been pretty successful also suggests that he's better than average. 

Yes, the Patriots frequently move back to accumulate picks. That can be a very effective strategy. I like it a lot. But that doesnt mean the failure to do that is a huge deal. At the end of the day, this FO under Dimitroff has been pretty effective. They've done a good job identifying cornerstone talent at key positions and the last 3 drafts have yielded quality players and depth throughout the roster. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Headline is click bait.

If you listen to TD and Q's press conference, TD probably talked more about trade down opportunities than he spoke about trading up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Okay let's correct a few things here....

1) The Falcons have moved back twice, not once, in the Dimitroff era. They also traded back in 2012. 

2) The headline doesnt match what was said at the presser. Saying "there will be opportunities" is not "looking to move up" They also discussed the opportunities to move back to the mid-30s. Are we "looking to trade down?"

3) D-Led consistently talks about the draft like someone who stopped paying attention to the league 20 years ago. And whenever you call him on it, he just says "Ron Wolfe taught me!" 

Look...maybe we trade up. Maybe we trade back. Who knows. But acting like a player like Charles Harris is guaranteed to be "long gone" is silly. 

Let's take your #1)

yeah but the move backs were extremely minimal.  How far back did Falcons move back last year in 2nd round - a few spots.    There have been no signifant trading backwards in the draft so, while factually you are correct, the move backs were inconsequential and did not result in some great draft pick bounty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so let's say it's Reddick.  where would he likely fall and how much would we likely have to give up?  (ie we go to pick 21 and lose only a third??)

if we go with defense and don't choose lamp, how bad will the off line be this year?

if Reddick is a linebacker is that just as good as getting a def end to rush the passer? (I thought our main need was getting a pass rusher?)

walterfootall has dolphins getting Reddick (at 20?) whereas they had them taking lamp the previous week.  so how much would we lose to trade to a position right before the dolphins?  they have the falcons picking another guard in the second round--would this be a big drop off from lamp?

 

Atlanta Falcons: Jordan Willis, DE/OLB, Kansas State

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/KansasState_logo.gif

KansasState_logo.gif
It was a bit odd to see the Falcons eschew their pass rush in the 2016 NFL Draft, especially when Shaq Lawson dropped to them at No. 17. I'm sure that after seeing their defenders struggle to get to the quarterback - save for Vic Beasley, who has improved - they'll be desperate for someone who can apply pressure on opposing signal-callers in the 2017 NFL Draft. Jordan Willis has the great athleticism the Falcons often look for in their prospects.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2017_1.php#3Wu34BHlASv5DSGO.99

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, g-dawg said:

Let's take your #1)

yeah but the move backs were extremely minimal.  How far back did Falcons move back last year in 2nd round - a few spots.    There have been no signifant trading backwards in the draft so, while factually you are correct, the move backs were inconsequential and did not result in some great draft pick bounty.

You can play this game with everything. 

If you want to make the very specific criticism that the FO under TD has never made a massive trade down, that's fine. I don't really think thats a big deal. The FO has indicated that they're willing to accept deals to move back. The specifics of any such deal are going to drive whether the deal happens or not. If the offer is right and the circumstances are right, they'll trade back. If they arent, they won't. I dont know why people read into it anymore than that. 

And FTR, I've always been a trade back guy. Just don't think its the biggest deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Not really.

I heard Dimitroff's interview w/ John Fricke this morning on 92.9 (fyi, Fricke is worst sportstalk guy I have EVER heard) - and Fricke actually did an OK job in the interview.

Talking draft philosophy and moving up/down,   TD sounded like someone that would like to move up again - he did not come right out and say they were moving up - but he reiterated that he is an aggressive drafter and won't sit passively if he sees a player he wants drop into a range where he could stomach what he would have to give up to get there.

Taking what Dimitroff said yesterday at the press conference and what he said today w/ 92.9/Fricke interview, my guess is if "their guy" gets into the late teens or early 20's - they would move up if they can find a partner and the price is OK.

^This^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ket222 said:

so let's say it's Reddick.  where would he likely fall and how much would we likely have to give up?  (ie we go to pick 21 and lose only a third??)

if we go with defense and don't choose lamp, how bad will the off line be this year?

if Reddick is a linebacker is that just as good as getting a def end to rush the passer? (I thought our main need was getting a pass rusher?)

walterfootall has dolphins getting Reddick (at 20?) whereas they had them taking lamp the previous week.  so how much would we lose to trade to a position right before the dolphins?  they have the falcons picking another guard in the second round--would this be a big drop off from lamp?

 

Atlanta Falcons: Jordan Willis, DE/OLB, Kansas State

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/KansasState_logo.gif

KansasState_logo.gif
It was a bit odd to see the Falcons eschew their pass rush in the 2016 NFL Draft, especially when Shaq Lawson dropped to them at No. 17. I'm sure that after seeing their defenders struggle to get to the quarterback - save for Vic Beasley, who has improved - they'll be desperate for someone who can apply pressure on opposing signal-callers in the 2017 NFL Draft. Jordan Willis has the great athleticism the Falcons often look for in their prospects.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2017_1.php#3Wu34BHlASv5DSGO.99

 

With all due respect, walterfootball is kinda trashballs, man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gold4425 said:

Hope that we need to move back a little and get more picks

You don't need picks, you look for impact players. The Falcons don't have that much hole in the offense except for a RG. The defense needs two more impact players with the retuning players from injury and off-season acquisitions. 

Get the best Edge player in the draft with the most impact, and get a decent RG to fill the hole. The rest of the picks could be for depth and building for future. 

Adding another decent Safety will also help the Falcons in the 3rd round. We really need 3 staring solid picks in this draft to really solidify this team. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

You can play this game with everything. 

If you want to make the very specific criticism that the FO under TD has never made a massive trade down, that's fine. I don't really think thats a big deal. The FO has indicated that they're willing to accept deals to move back. The specifics of any such deal are going to drive whether the deal happens or not. If the offer is right and the circumstances are right, they'll trade back. If they arent, they won't. I dont know why people read into it anymore than that. 

And FTR, I've always been a trade back guy. Just don't think its the biggest deal. 

I am making no criticisms at all of TD - not mad nor trying to prove a point -  i am just saying you played #1 like these move backs show TD is more balanced - and he is much more pre-disposed to move up - and I am generally OK about it as he is usually RIGHT on the players he moves up for.

Mid-Nite-Toker and primetime like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

With all due respect, walterfootball is kinda trashballs, man. 

walter lives in his mom's basement - he is very surly character, hates the Falcons - and makes no pretense of being objective.

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ket222 said:

so let's say it's Reddick.  where would he likely fall and how much would we likely have to give up?  (ie we go to pick 21 and lose only a third??)

if we go with defense and don't choose lamp, how bad will the off line be this year?

if Reddick is a linebacker is that just as good as getting a def end to rush the passer? (I thought our main need was getting a pass rusher?)

walterfootall has dolphins getting Reddick (at 20?) whereas they had them taking lamp the previous week.  so how much would we lose to trade to a position right before the dolphins?  they have the falcons picking another guard in the second round--would this be a big drop off from lamp?

 

Atlanta Falcons: Jordan Willis, DE/OLB, Kansas State

image: http://walterfootball.com/college/KansasState_logo.gif

KansasState_logo.gif
It was a bit odd to see the Falcons eschew their pass rush in the 2016 NFL Draft, especially when Shaq Lawson dropped to them at No. 17. I'm sure that after seeing their defenders struggle to get to the quarterback - save for Vic Beasley, who has improved - they'll be desperate for someone who can apply pressure on opposing signal-callers in the 2017 NFL Draft. Jordan Willis has the great athleticism the Falcons often look for in their prospects.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2017_1.php#3Wu34BHlASv5DSGO.99

 

I am not a fan of moving up for Reddick.   While I do think he is an exciting player and will be a good blitzer from the LB position - dude is 237lbs and 6'1".   He just not have the size to justify tying up a 1st and 2nd round pick - which is what it might take - to go get him.   Reddick cannot be an every down passrusher.

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, stingbee said:

You don't need picks, you look for impact players. The Falcons don't have that much hole in the offense except for a RG. The defense needs two more impact players with the retuning players from injury and off-season acquisitions. 

Get the best Edge player in the draft with the most impact, and get a decent RG to fill the hole. The rest of the picks could be for depth and building for future. 

Adding another decent Safety will also help the Falcons in the 3rd round. We really need 3 staring solid picks in this draft to really solidify this team. 

 

Both sides of ball needs more than just one or two players.....we need depth.

Mid-Nite-Toker likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now