Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wartownfalcon

So 5 of our last 6 games are Divisional games...

57 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, wartownfalcon said:

I bet NFL starts doing this more to make the end of the year games "more interesting"

Yep, this is the reason. Just checked the other NFCS teams - Saints play 4 of last 5 vs NFCS, Bucs play last 4 of 6 (and last 3 in a row) vs division.

Our schedule is bonkers.  We first basically play the entire NFC North minus the Vikings.  Then we play every team in the AFC East. After that we finally play a division opponent and then we play the first place teams from the other NFC division's Dallas and Seattle... LOL then we face everyone in our own division plus the vikings.  LOL bonkers

5 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

The division ending seems to be a common theme. Espn was just showing the miami schedule, 4 of the last 5 vs AFCE.

The Saints and Bucs play mostly NFCS games at the end also

They've been doing this for a while, but not usually 5 of the 6.  Early bye, sucks & always hate 3 road games.  Not thrilled with it, but not completely terrible.

3 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

We did just go 5-1 against the division, winning 4 by double digits.

Against the rest of the league, we went 6-4, winning 3 by double digits.

Not worried about this...

I understand your confidence in our team, and I think we'll do fine on this schedule. But you can't ever take the other teams in your division lightly.

PK Manley likes this

2 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

Yep, this is the reason. Just checked the other NFCS teams - Saints play 4 of last 5 vs NFCS, Bucs play last 4 of 6 (and last 3 in a row) vs division.

Last year quite a few division games came up scheduled in the last 4-5. It raises rating when teams are fighting for playoff positioning, especially division rivals. The NFL even said they were going to do it. It's not going away.  Your team may just get to break the cycle now and then but they make a **** ton more money when the schedules look like this. 

7 minutes ago, wartownfalcon said:

I bet NFL starts doing this more to make the end of the year games "more interesting"

I hope that was sarcasm otherwise I'm living in Bizarro world.

The NFLs been doing the schedule like this  since the mid 2000s to prevent teams from resting starters and ******* up the ratings 

1 minute ago, ltstorm2 said:

Our schedule is bonkers.  We first basically play the entire NFC North minus the Vikings.  Then we play every team in the AFC East. After that we finally play a division opponent and then we play the first place teams from the other NFC division's Dallas and Seattle... LOL then we face everyone in our own division minus the vikings.  LOL bonkers

We waited months for this. Guess the NFL is against variety.  Would have been nice to mix it up.

We host Tampa after their bye

We host the Vikings after their mini bye

Worst of all, we travel to the Seahawks, on Monday night, after their mini bye, so they get 11 days to prepare to host us, as opposed to the regular 10

3 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Worst of all, we travel to the Seahawks, on Monday night, after their mini bye, so they get 11 days to prepare to host us, as opposed to the regular 10

Having the extra time sure didn't help the Falcons when they played the Eagles

8 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Seattle had a bye week in the lead up to our game last year.

Since everyone keeps going back and forth over how "rare" or how "common" this is, here's reality.

All teams end the season on a divisional game.

Only 8 teams end the season with back to back divisonal games

Of those 8 teams, only 3 end the season with 3 back to back divisional games (one of the others is Tampa)

and obviously we're the only one to go 4 straight, and 5 in 6 weeks

So basically, in conclusion, while it is common to have divisonal games more to the end of the season, having them grouped this close together is not common. Take that for what you will.

Drew4719 likes this

21 minutes ago, STOIC 2.0 said:

Hate this schedule...just hate it.

yeah, I absolutely hate an early bye, and then playing divisional games all bunched like that, on top of the playing one team 2 out of 3 weeks. I still say that all teams should play the last 3 games of the first half of the season as division games, and the same for the end of the season

falconut1991 likes this

1 minute ago, papachaz said:

yeah, I absolutely hate an early bye, and then playing divisional games all bunched like that, on top of the playing one team 2 out of 3 weeks. I still say that all teams should play the last 3 games of the first half of the season as division games, and the same for the end of the season

I'm opposed to early byes in general, for all teams. I mean, what are you getting a break for exactly?

All byes should be no earlier than week 7 imo

papachaz, birdz4i, Drew4719 and 1 other like this