atljbo

Coach on Ricardo Allen

39 posts in this topic

I think ppl think our safety interest is to replace Allen ... Again.. i think Coach see him as a core player and the only way i think rico walk is if  he ask for to much money in 2019..... But i think its more about getting faster... Having a even faster Lineup with 3 safeties... We know we was interested in Mark Barron when he was potentially hitting FA.

I love it ... I think coach is just looking at some potential unique line upsI wonder would we move Campbell to SLB and play Allen or a potential draft pick Safety at the Will spot

my beef with Rico is his speed or lack thereof. he's good in that he doesn't allow too many big plays but I sure wish he had the speed and instincts to sniff out plays better. he reminds me of Mike Pete, except Mike Pete always had the play read but just didn't have the speed to make it. who knows, maybe Rico has the speed but is just doubting himself. another full season in the system will tell us all we need to know about Rico

See this is what I thought he would think but the workouts make it seem otherwise. I really like Ricardo and way too many people here give him a rough time. There are 2 free safeties in his draft I would rather have than him (Hooker and Evans) so I'd be fine not taking one. He also praised our current guards today so I guess we shouldn't put stock in either of those comments meaning we won't draft a guard or safety early.

Yeah I think we add Evans Baker or Melifonwu early. I don't know if we've shown interest in him but so I like Rayshawn Jenkins in the mid rounds.

Posted (edited)

I don't see all the hype around Evans. He has made a couple of big hits but the film that I have seen he is missing tackles/whiffing half the time. I like Rico and the chemistry he has with this defense. Next year or mid rounds this year I think we'll end up taking somebody at safety.

Edited by InsideTheLines

I think Quinn is intelligent enough to gauge the temperature in the room. He knows what ppl are saying and what the rumors are. He's a players' coach and is going to say things that will pump his guys up. I say just wait and see who gets drafted next week. Even with this pat on the back comment, I think the Falcons go Safety early.

I thought Rico really came on towards the end of the season. Especially the playoffs

You can't have super stars all over the place, and Rico is a good enough starter. He will probably never be an all star, but he is a solid producer nonetheless. 

1 hour ago, uga_falcons_braves said:

I think Quinn is intelligent enough to gauge the temperature in the room. He knows what ppl are saying and what the rumors are. He's a players' coach and is going to say things that will pump his guys up. I say just wait and see who gets drafted next week. Even with this pat on the back comment, I think the Falcons go Safety early.

I don't think Quinn gives a dam about what people are saying - including folks on twitter and message boards.

hjerry, papachaz, Jerz and 7 others like this

Just going to copy n paste what I posted in another topic on whether Rico will still be here.

Yes he will be, but Budda Baker will be the starter. Playing like a scavenging beast cleaning up the remains that Keanu has laid waste to. 

mar31985 and quickzero like this

24 minutes ago, Lord Sarcomere said:

I thought Rico really came on towards the end of the season. Especially the playoffs

You can't have super stars all over the place, and Rico is a good enough starter. He will probably never be an all star, but he is a solid producer nonetheless. 

Same here...when we started playing more man coverage the entire secondary looked better

34 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

I don't think Quinn gives a dam about what people are saying - including folks on twitter and message boards.

That's good a GOOD THING! This board has enough problems staying sane on its own. If I was TMQ, I would avoid reading board at all costs.

Knight of God and papachaz like this

I feel like people don't realize Ricardo improved his 40 time at his pro day. Ran a 4.46 which, even if you do the standard "pro day" adjustment, becomes 4.51. That's perfectly respectable for a FS.

Kung-Pow and BIRDLAND 2.0 like this

I know Quinn likes him and I trust Quinn but there are some good FS in this draft.  I still think it is a need we could still upgrade with the talent in this draft.  

Knight of God likes this

33 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

I feel like people don't realize Ricardo improved his 40 time at his pro day. Ran a 4.46 which, even if you do the standard "pro day" adjustment, becomes 4.51. That's perfectly respectable for a FS.

I'm not concerned about his 40 time, I'm looking at him be just a step late on a good amount of plays. if he improves his game speed, he would actually be a ball hawk.

Knight of God likes this

2 hours ago, Lord Sarcomere said:

This defense, FS is the most important. This is the spot you need that star.

I like Rico and all but I wouldn't be opposed to adding another FS such as Baker, Obi, or Evans

39 minutes ago, raysnill1 said:

I'm not concerned about his 40 time, I'm looking at him be just a step late on a good amount of plays. if he improves his game speed, he would actually be a ball hawk.

personally, I think it's more either not having the instincts, or not trusting them than speed necessarily. almost like he doesn't commit until a split second too late or something

raysnill1 likes this

People were saying the same thing about Worrilow last year. "Quinn is all about this guy" "Quinn says he's a leader in the locker room" "Quinn says he's the type of guy he loves to coach"

Yeah, well Debo took his spot and Worrilow isn't a Falcon anymore. Quinn pumps his guys up but he wants the best players on the field, period.

5 hours ago, atljbo said:

I love it ... I think coach is just looking at some potential unique line upsI wonder would we move Campbell to SLB and play Allen or a potential draft pick Safety at the Will spot

Nah, we're not looking at WLB/SSs. We're looking at center fielders. That's who we want.

I agree with the wanting to get faster part though.

Allen himself mentioned today that he wanted to play less center field and be more rangy. A 3 safety look with a new FS, Neal, and Allen in the middle would accommodate that. 

3 hours ago, InsideTheLines said:

I don't see all the hype around Evans. He has made a couple of big hits but the film that I have seen he is missing tackles/whiffing half the time. I like Rico and the chemistry he has with this defense. Next year or mid rounds this year I think we'll end up taking somebody at safety.

As others have said, that sounds a lot like the critiques on Deion Jones coming out last year.

9 minutes ago, Falcan Moore said:

People were saying the same thing about Worrilow last year. "Quinn is all about this guy" "Quinn says he's a leader in the locker room" "Quinn says he's the type of guy he loves to coach"

Yeah, well Debo took his spot and Worrilow isn't a Falcon anymore. Quinn pumps his guys up but he wants the best players on the field, period.

Which is why I have zero doubt that Allen will be a Falcon next year, in his RFA year (unless someone decides to throw a 2nd round pick at him which I'd say is unlikely). After that however, it's up in the air.

3 hours ago, Knight of God said:

This defense, FS is the most important. This is the spot you need that star.

This exactly why I want to trade up for Hooker if he falls into the mid to late teens. Usually I'm for accumulating as many picks as you can. However when a prospect as rare and as perfect of a fit for your team comes out I say go get him. You won't be seeing a better centerfield prospect come out for a long time. Hooker could have an Ed Reed type effect on this defense and take this secondary to an elite level. 

Knight of God likes this