Capitalist

Say goodbye to your paper ticket

20 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

Well this could be bad for us out of towners. I depend on StubHub every year for tickets. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

I'm certain that they have thought this through enough to have solved that problem.

The NFL is aware that a lot of people offset the cost of season tickets by selling tickets to games they can make good money on.  If they cut into the secondary market and make it harder to buy and sell tickets less people will purchase season tickets and less people will be going to games.  

Herr Doktor likes this

I'm sure there will be an app based option as well. From a technical standpoint there is little difference between tying an account to a card or an app and the app is much more distributable. So I wouldn't worry much 

Cheap Talk likes this

Atlanta United did same thing...

Killed Stubhub

95% of sales go thru Ticketmaster resale

7 minutes ago, Waterjabbers said:

I'm certain that they have thought this through enough to have solved that problem.

The NFL is aware that a lot of people offset the cost of season tickets by selling tickets to games they can make good money on.  If they cut into the secondary market and make it harder to buy and sell tickets less people will purchase season tickets and less people will be going to games.  

Problem is that when teams or venues do this, they make the tickets non-transferrable. That remains to be seen in this case, but usually they require the original buyer to present the card used to purchase and ID. In some cases if you have a group, every person has to be present at the time.

Like I said it remains to be seen how this will shake out.

8 minutes ago, Capitalist said:

Atlanta United did same thing...

Killed Stubhub

95% of sales go thru Ticketmaster resale

StubHub has plenty of tickets listed for some upcoming games. Now there are "special instructions" but it looks like it can be done.

27 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

Problem is that when teams or venues do this, they make the tickets non-transferrable. That remains to be seen in this case, but usually they require the original buyer to present the card used to purchase and ID. In some cases if you have a group, every person has to be present at the time.

Like I said it remains to be seen how this will shake out.

It shows in the video that along with the card you still have the Ticketmaster account where you can transfer your tickets to friends/family or sell them on Ticketmaster.

39 minutes ago, Waterjabbers said:

They're just going to make you go through their approved provider... so they can make more money.

papachaz likes this

11 minutes ago, mike11571 said:

It shows in the video that along with the card you still have the Ticketmaster account where you can transfer your tickets to friends/family or sell them on Ticketmaster.

Yeah I just checked Ticketmaster. Looks easy enough to still buy. Will suck giving money to Ticketmaster but oh well. I had to the few times I bought directly from the team.

1 minute ago, Duff_Man said:

Yeah I just checked Ticketmaster. Looks easy enough to still buy. Will suck giving money to Ticketmaster but oh well. I had to the few times I bought directly from the team.

I'm no expert here so how is Stubhub different from Ticketmaster?

22 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

They're just going to make you go through their approved provider... so they can make more money.

I don't know that will be a bad thing.  If the NFL is receiving a cut of secondary sales it may help reduce ticket prices, or at the very least help keep prices from rising further.

1 minute ago, Waterjabbers said:

I don't know that will be a bad thing.  If the NFL is receiving a cut of secondary sales it may help reduce ticket prices, or at the very least help keep prices from rising further.

Yeah.... they're not reducing ticket prices unless a team goes into a death spiral... and even then it's a maybe because I think the individual teams decide what their ticket prices will be.

Blank coming in and reducing prices..... wow has it been 15 years.... anyway that was not normal to say the least.

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Yeah.... they're not reducing ticket prices unless a team goes into a death spiral... and even then it's a maybe because I think the individual teams decide what their ticket prices will be.

Blank coming in and reducing prices..... wow has it been 15 years.... anyway that was not normal to say the least.

The NFL can only charge what people are willing to pay and they have to attract enough people to be profitable. 

I love the Falcons, but if they price me out of buying tickets  (I can only afford to go to a couple of games per year) then I won't go.  If they push enough people out then their games won't be televised and I will find something else to do on Sundays.

Ultimately no one is forced to go to games, and if people can't offset the cost of their season tickets I recommend not purchasing them.  It will force the NFL to chose a business model that benefits the fans they have priced out eventually or they will go out of business.

This pisses me off because I keep my tickets intact every year hoping to win the Super Bowl and make a shadow box with all my tickets untorn. 

38 minutes ago, wartownfalcon said:

This pisses me off because I keep my tickets intact every year hoping to win the Super Bowl and make a shadow box with all my tickets untorn. 

It shouldn't be a problem.   I was in the test program for this - and at the end of the year they send you your book with all the paper tickets.

4 minutes ago, Tandy said:

It shouldn't be a problem.   I was in the test program for this - and at the end of the year they send you your book with all the paper tickets.

They have said they won't do this anymore...

Tandy likes this

I prefer to buy and sell on StubHub over Ticketmaster Resell. TM Resell make it difficult to see all the fees etc. SH has work arounds for this for other events that Ticketmaster tries to restrict resell. It might be a screenshot of the QR / Barcode for the ticket you upload to Stubhub or SH sending the buyer instructions on how to claim the tickets in a "friend to friend" exchange on ticketmaster.

I personally like how the Braves tickets are done now through StubHub. You just enter the barcodes and when they are purchased the buyer gets them in the StubHub app and just scans at the gate. It is all integrated into the Braves ticket system so if you are selling tickets and decide to go you must delete the listing so your barcodes will scan in at the gate. Now no one has to worry about buying a ticket that is not valid. Also the same way at the Infinite Energy Center. I understand that TM Verified is similar but I just hate their site. 

You may still use sites to sell your tickets(Ebay,Stubhub,etc.). Just have to transfer them after the sell.