theProf

Players that the Falcons have worked-out or had in for official visits by position

88 posts in this topic

On 4/18/2017 at 5:50 PM, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Is there still a restriction on how many players you can bring in for workouts?

P.S. Your one of my favorite posters with Vandy Gazoo, and MSalmon, kiwi, KOG. I always read any thread you start, as you are very knowledgeable about the sport. What are your opinion on my guy Tankersly?

First thanks for the kudos. Second I don't watch much college football other than the Dawgs, so I'm not really the best person to ask about a specific collegiate player like Tankersley. Although I do read a lot of scouting reports and articles on draft prospects, that's about the extent of it. But since you asked for my opinion, I believe that the Falcons are loaded at the CB position. So unless Tankersley can convert to FS as you suggest, I doubt the Falcons would be too interested.

Third as to your question about Workouts, there is generally NO limit on the number of workouts a team can conduct, as long as the workout is at the player's college campus or hometown, with a few exceptions. These workouts would involve physical and positional testing, similar to what is done at the Combine, but  on a more individualized basis. However, official Visits at the team's own training facilities is generally limited to 30, with a few exceptions. These visits can not involve on-field physical or positional testing. Therefore, official Visits normally involve medical examinations, personal interviews, and written tests.

A good article on the rules of workouts and visits as follows:

" The NFL offseason schedule is a cycle of events and formalities leading up to the NFL Draft. It starts with All-Star games like the annual Shriner's game, followed by the Senior Bowl and leading up to the big kahuna -- the NFL Scouting Combine. After the combine, organizations will flock to individual school's Pro Days to watch prospects perform where they are most comfortable. Following those visits would be the Pre-Draft visits.

Now, NFL teams meet with players all along this process. At the All-Star games, the combine and at their Pro Days, but nothing compares to a team bringing in a player for a pre-draft visit. After all the formalities along the way, these pre-draft visits are a critical part of the evaluation process as this is the first clear-cut sign of interest between a prospect and a NFL franchise.

As with all things in the NFL, there are rules and regulations which must be followed throughout these visits. For instance, "Each team may transport a maximum of 30 draft-eligible players to the team's home city or another location for a one-day physical examination. These players cannot be timed and tested. Interviews and written tests may be conducted during the visit."

So, if the team can have only certain interactions with players at a pre-draft visit at their headquarters, what can they do while at their Pro Day, or other off-site events?

"There is no limit on the number of prospects tested by a team on campus (workouts). Clubs also may time draft-eligible players, conduct on-field tests of draft-eligible players, and administer written tests to draft-eligible players in the metropolitan area of the player's campus or hometown, at college postseason all-star game practice sessions, provided that the player is a participant in the all-star game, at a League-approved workout (Indianapolis Combine, NFL Regional Combines), and at the campus of any college located in the same state as the player's college, provided that the player is attending a school in NCAA Division I-AA (Football Championship Subdivision), II, or III, an NAIA school, or a junior college, and further provided that the timing and testing only occurs on a school's Pro Day, but only if the players have received permission from the hosting school's Pro Liaison."

"Players who attend college or reside in a club's "metropolitan area" can be given a physical examination without counting against the 30-player limit, unless the club provides transportation for the visit. Also, a player who attends college or whose hometown is in a club's "metropolitan area" may be timed and tested at the club's facility, as long as the club does not provide transportation."

I bet you never knew there were so many rules and regulations of not only pre-draft visits, but also in those meetings with players at their Pro Days. Well, now you know...and knowing is half the battle. "

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2016/4/3/11134554/breaking-down-the-intricacies-and-rules-of-nfl-pre-draft-visits

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2017 at 11:38 AM, theProf said:

Last year all the Falcons draft choices came from players that the Falcons either worked-out or had in for visits. Most all of Atlanta's draft selections in recent years have also been  from players worked-out or had for official visits. 

A couple of notes of caution about these Work-outs (W) and Visits (V) list. First not all of the pre-draft Work-outs and Visits become public knowledge before the draft. Sometimes we don't know until after the draft that a Falcon draft pick had a W or V with the Falcons prior to the draft. Last year it was not public knowledge that Wes Schweitzer had a pre-draft work-out until after the draft in one of his post-draft interviews. I mentioned earlier in this thread that Sam Baker in 2008 and Peria Jerry in 2009 had pre-draft workouts with the Falcons, but it was not known until after the draft that they did so.

Second perhaps not all Falcons draft picks actually have pre-draft work-outs or visits with Atlanta, or it never becomes public knowledge that a drafted player did so. Although it did become public knowledge that all of the Falcons 2016 selections did so, either before or after the draft, that is not always the case.  In the 2015 draft, I can not find where second-round pick Jalen Collins, fourth-round pick Justin Hardy, or 7th-round pick Jake Rodgers had a pre-draft W or V. It was public knowledge that Vic Beasley, Tevin Coleman, Grady Jarrett, and Akeem King all had a W or V with the Falcons before the 2015 draft.

 

In the 2014 draft, Atlanta selected nine players. It was public knowledge that Jake Matthews, Ra'Shede Hageman, Devonte Freeman, Prince Shembo, Ricardo Allen, and Yawin Smallwood all had a pre-draft W or V with the Falcons. Third-round pick Dez Southward was coached by Smitty and the staff in the Senior Bowl. However, I can't find where 6th-round pick Marquis Spruil, or 7th-round pick Tyler Starr  had a pre-draft W or V with the Falcons.

The last draft that I will analyze is the 2013 draft. In the 2013 draft, Atlanta drafted 8 players. According to the following list compiled by Walter Football, Atlanta had a W or V with Desmond Trufant,  Malliciah Goodman, Stansly Maponga, and  Zeke Motta. However according to Walter's list, the Falcons had no public W or V from Robert Alford, Levine Toilolo, Kemal Ishmael, or Sean Renfree.  I wish I could find another Work-out or Visit list for the Falcons 2013 draft, because I think Atlanta might have worked-out or had visits from a couple of the aforementioned players that were not included on Walter's list.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2013/4/19/4238842/2013-nfl-draft-the-prospects-the-falcons-have-visited-with-thus-far

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, theProf said:

A couple of notes of caution about these Work-outs (W) and Visits (V) list. First not all of the pre-draft Work-outs and Visits become public knowledge before the draft. Sometimes we don't know until after the draft that a Falcon draft pick had a W or V with the Falcons prior to the draft. Last year it was not public knowledge that Wes Schweitzer had a pre-draft work-out until after the draft in one of his post-draft interviews. I mentioned earlier in this thread that Sam Baker in 2008 and Peria Jerry in 2009 had pre-draft workouts with the Falcons, but it was not known until after the draft that they did so.

Second perhaps not all Falcons draft picks actually have pre-draft work-outs or visits with Atlanta, or it never becomes public knowledge that a drafted player did so. Although it did become public knowledge that all of the Falcons 2016 selections did so, either before or after the draft, that is not always the case.  In the 2015 draft, I can not find where second-round pick Jalen Collins, fourth-round pick Justin Hardy, or 7th-round pick Jake Rodgers had a pre-draft W or V. It was public knowledge that Vic Beasley, Tevin Coleman, Grady Jarrett, and Akeem King all had a W or V with the Falcons before the 2015 draft.

 

In the 2014 draft, Atlanta selected nine players. It was public knowledge that Jake Matthews, Ra'Shede Hageman, Devonte Freeman, Prince Shembo, Ricardo Allen, and Yawin Smallwood all had a pre-draft W or V with the Falcons. Third-round pick Dez Southward was coached by Smitty and the staff in the Senior Bowl. However, I can't find where 6th-round pick Marquis Spruil, or 7th-round pick Tyler Starr  had a pre-draft W or V with the Falcons.

The last draft that I will analyze is the 2013 draft. In the 2013 draft, Atlanta drafted 8 players. According to the following list compiled by Walter Football, Atlanta had a W or V with Desmond Trufant,  Malliciah Goodman, Stansly Maponga, and  Zeke Motta. However according to Walter's list, the Falcons had no public W or V from Robert Alford, Levine Toilolo, Kemal Ishmael, or Sean Renfree.  I wish I could find another Work-out or Visit list for the Falcons 2013 draft, because I think Atlanta might have worked-out or had visits from a couple of the aforementioned players that were not included on Walter's list.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2013/4/19/4238842/2013-nfl-draft-the-prospects-the-falcons-have-visited-with-thus-far

This is great work @theProf and also really cool to see Willis and Harris worked out with one another...Thats interesting...

Have you found anything on TJ Watt or Jabrill Peppers and Falcons? Not asking to look, just curious...

Seems if we met with Budda, we would also Peppers, or others...

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

This is great work @theProf and also really cool to see Willis and Harris worked out with one another...Thats interesting...

Have you found anything on TJ Watt or Jabrill Peppers and Falcons? Not asking to look, just curious...

Seems if we met with Budda, we would also Peppers, or others...

Thanks!

Iceman no I haven't seen anything yet regarding a Falcons Visit or Workout with either Watt or Peppers. However, I did see a couple of articles recently where the Falcons praised Peppers and have talked a lot about him:

Falcons praise Jabrill Peppers, who could be an option in the 2017 NFL Draft

The Falcons are still unlikely to take Peppers, but they seem intrigued by the ultra-versatile safety.

by Dave Choate Apr 21, 2017, 5:00pm EDT
 

As we approach the draft, we’ll hear more and more from the Falcons about potential options, whether it be by leaked (or smoky) information or directly from the team. One name that was popular early in the process and may be again now is Jabrill Peppers, who the team talked up earlier this week.

Here’s the money quote from D-Led’s piece.

“One of the rare guys that you have to put on all three sides of tape to watch him carry the ball, but we see him as a safety for our team and how we play,” Falcons head coach Dan Quinn said.

The team has given some indication that they’re after a safety that can play on the field at the same time as Ricardo Allen and Keanu Neal, and that player could eventually take over for Allen if he doesn’t stick around over the long haul. That would give the team insurance in the long-term and a formidable trio in the short-term, and

Are they going to take a safety at #31, though, especially one with questions about his viability as a safety over the long haul? That’s a big question, and it’s one that I suspect the team will answer in the negative. Justin Evans and Budda Baker both seem like more likely selections if the Falcons were to go safety, but all indications are that they’re after a guard or a pass rusher there. Safety could come as early as the second day, though.

Ultimately, I think the Falcons are doing what they always do this time of year, just with more subtlety than other teams. They’re answering questions posed to them, discussing scenarios they likely won’t pursue, and talking up players who may or may not be realistic options for them at #31, all in the name of obscuring what they’re really up to. That’s not to say that there’s no way they will take Peppers at #31—or certainly at #63, if he should fall—but there’s no denying that his versatility and speed make him an intriguing player in this scheme.

Keep an eye on Peppers, just in case.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2017/4/21/15385158/falcons-praise-jabrill-peppers-who-could-be-an-option-in-the-2017-nfl-draft

Falcons impressed with Jabrill Peppers

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

Posted: 7:46 p.m. Thursday, April 20, 2017


FLOWERY BRANCH —

Several mock drafts have the Falcons selecting versatile Michigan player Jabrill Peppers in the upcoming NFL draft, which is set for Thursday through Saturday in Philadelphia.

He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.46 seconds, which is faster than Seattle All-Pro free safety Earl Thomas.

“From our perspective, we talked a lot about him,” Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said on Thursday. “Obviously, he’s a winner. Plain and simple, he’s a smart football player. He’s a tough and competitive guy who’s versatile. I think he’ll do well in this league.”

Peppers played linebacker for the Wolverines, some quarterback, running back and returned punts and kickoffs.

“One of the rare guys that you have to put on all three sides of tape to watch him carry the ball, but we see him as a safety for our team and how we play,” Falcons head coach Dan Quinn said.

Quinn believes Peppers has the flexibility to play strong safety and free safety.

“He’s got the size to be a strong, but I think the speed to play free,” Quinn said. “We didn’t nail him into one spot.”

http://www.myajc.com/sports/football/falcons-impressed-with-jabrill-peppers/QhzzsDjU1CHIYrLuamh8GJ/

 

Kung-Pow likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, theProf said:

Iceman no I haven't seen anything yet regarding a Falcons Visit or Workout with either Watt or Peppers. However, I did see a couple of articles recently where the Falcons praised Peppers and have talked a lot about him:

Falcons praise Jabrill Peppers, who could be an option in the 2017 NFL Draft

The Falcons are still unlikely to take Peppers, but they seem intrigued by the ultra-versatile safety.

by Dave Choate Apr 21, 2017, 5:00pm EDT
 

As we approach the draft, we’ll hear more and more from the Falcons about potential options, whether it be by leaked (or smoky) information or directly from the team. One name that was popular early in the process and may be again now is Jabrill Peppers, who the team talked up earlier this week.

Here’s the money quote from D-Led’s piece.

“One of the rare guys that you have to put on all three sides of tape to watch him carry the ball, but we see him as a safety for our team and how we play,” Falcons head coach Dan Quinn said.

The team has given some indication that they’re after a safety that can play on the field at the same time as Ricardo Allen and Keanu Neal, and that player could eventually take over for Allen if he doesn’t stick around over the long haul. That would give the team insurance in the long-term and a formidable trio in the short-term, and

Are they going to take a safety at #31, though, especially one with questions about his viability as a safety over the long haul? That’s a big question, and it’s one that I suspect the team will answer in the negative. Justin Evans and Budda Baker both seem like more likely selections if the Falcons were to go safety, but all indications are that they’re after a guard or a pass rusher there. Safety could come as early as the second day, though.

Ultimately, I think the Falcons are doing what they always do this time of year, just with more subtlety than other teams. They’re answering questions posed to them, discussing scenarios they likely won’t pursue, and talking up players who may or may not be realistic options for them at #31, all in the name of obscuring what they’re really up to. That’s not to say that there’s no way they will take Peppers at #31—or certainly at #63, if he should fall—but there’s no denying that his versatility and speed make him an intriguing player in this scheme.

Keep an eye on Peppers, just in case.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2017/4/21/15385158/falcons-praise-jabrill-peppers-who-could-be-an-option-in-the-2017-nfl-draft

Falcons impressed with Jabrill Peppers

By D. Orlando Ledbetter

Posted: 7:46 p.m. Thursday, April 20, 2017


FLOWERY BRANCH —

Several mock drafts have the Falcons selecting versatile Michigan player Jabrill Peppers in the upcoming NFL draft, which is set for Thursday through Saturday in Philadelphia.

He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.46 seconds, which is faster than Seattle All-Pro free safety Earl Thomas.

“From our perspective, we talked a lot about him,” Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said on Thursday. “Obviously, he’s a winner. Plain and simple, he’s a smart football player. He’s a tough and competitive guy who’s versatile. I think he’ll do well in this league.”

Peppers played linebacker for the Wolverines, some quarterback, running back and returned punts and kickoffs.

“One of the rare guys that you have to put on all three sides of tape to watch him carry the ball, but we see him as a safety for our team and how we play,” Falcons head coach Dan Quinn said.

Quinn believes Peppers has the flexibility to play strong safety and free safety.

“He’s got the size to be a strong, but I think the speed to play free,” Quinn said. “We didn’t nail him into one spot.”

http://www.myajc.com/sports/football/falcons-impressed-with-jabrill-peppers/QhzzsDjU1CHIYrLuamh8GJ/

 

The Falcons haven't talked a lot about Peppers. They haven't brought him up at all in fact.

Stupid *** Dled asked them about him in their draft presser and they answered. I said in that thread, the same that I'll here, that, as it was an answer to a question, this should, in no way, be construed and the Falcons having interest in Peppers. 

It's the same crap as in 2015 and dumb *** Dled asked them about Gurley, and they answered, but there was never actual interest there.

Bobby.Digital likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

This is great work @theProf and also really cool to see Willis and Harris worked out with one another...Thats interesting...

Have you found anything on TJ Watt or Jabrill Peppers and Falcons? Not asking to look, just curious...

Seems if we met with Budda, we would also Peppers, or others...

Thanks!

There has never been any reported interest of any kind, neither meetings, nor workouts, nor visits, with the Falcons in relation to Peppers or Watt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:24 AM, theProf said:

First thanks for the kudos. Second I don't watch much college football other than the Dawgs, so I'm not really the best person to ask about a specific collegiate player like Tankersley. Although I do read a lot of scouting reports and articles on draft prospects, that's about the extent of it. But since you asked for my opinion, I believe that the Falcons are loaded at the CB position. So unless Tankersley can convert to FS as you suggest, I doubt the Falcons would be too interested.

Third as to your question about Workouts, there is generally NO limit on the number of workouts a team can conduct, as long as the workout is at the player's college campus or hometown, with a few exceptions. These workouts would involve physical and positional testing, similar to what is done at the Combine, but  on a more individualized basis. However, official Visits at the team's own training facilities is generally limited to 30, with a few exceptions. These visits can not involve on-field physical or positional testing. Therefore, official Visits normally involve medical examinations, personal interviews, and written tests.

A good article on the rules of workouts and visits as follows:

" The NFL offseason schedule is a cycle of events and formalities leading up to the NFL Draft. It starts with All-Star games like the annual Shriner's game, followed by the Senior Bowl and leading up to the big kahuna -- the NFL Scouting Combine. After the combine, organizations will flock to individual school's Pro Days to watch prospects perform where they are most comfortable. Following those visits would be the Pre-Draft visits.

Now, NFL teams meet with players all along this process. At the All-Star games, the combine and at their Pro Days, but nothing compares to a team bringing in a player for a pre-draft visit. After all the formalities along the way, these pre-draft visits are a critical part of the evaluation process as this is the first clear-cut sign of interest between a prospect and a NFL franchise.

As with all things in the NFL, there are rules and regulations which must be followed throughout these visits. For instance, "Each team may transport a maximum of 30 draft-eligible players to the team's home city or another location for a one-day physical examination. These players cannot be timed and tested. Interviews and written tests may be conducted during the visit."

So, if the team can have only certain interactions with players at a pre-draft visit at their headquarters, what can they do while at their Pro Day, or other off-site events?

"There is no limit on the number of prospects tested by a team on campus (workouts). Clubs also may time draft-eligible players, conduct on-field tests of draft-eligible players, and administer written tests to draft-eligible players in the metropolitan area of the player's campus or hometown, at college postseason all-star game practice sessions, provided that the player is a participant in the all-star game, at a League-approved workout (Indianapolis Combine, NFL Regional Combines), and at the campus of any college located in the same state as the player's college, provided that the player is attending a school in NCAA Division I-AA (Football Championship Subdivision), II, or III, an NAIA school, or a junior college, and further provided that the timing and testing only occurs on a school's Pro Day, but only if the players have received permission from the hosting school's Pro Liaison."

"Players who attend college or reside in a club's "metropolitan area" can be given a physical examination without counting against the 30-player limit, unless the club provides transportation for the visit. Also, a player who attends college or whose hometown is in a club's "metropolitan area" may be timed and tested at the club's facility, as long as the club does not provide transportation."

I bet you never knew there were so many rules and regulations of not only pre-draft visits, but also in those meetings with players at their Pro Days. Well, now you know...and knowing is half the battle. "

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2016/4/3/11134554/breaking-down-the-intricacies-and-rules-of-nfl-pre-draft-visits

Great Information. I wonder if this is part of the CBA, bc it's crazy you can't time prospects at your own facility. I knew that there were some regulations but ****. If anything needs to change it should be that your aren't allowed to speak to hiring a coach until AFTER the season. To think Shan wasn't a tad distracted is naïve imo. Obviously I'm not saying that it is your belief, but Shan's ego is his biggest enemy, and he wanted to win the SB under his terms, not what was smart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now