E. T.

Braves vs Nats

567 posts in this topic

I blame this sweep on all those saying we were going to go undefeated at home after the sweep of the Padres

Edited by TheTrue7

8 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

It just makes me cry to have to deal with all these Bobby Cox casts off that don't ******* know how to manage the bullpen or bench!

I say the same thing and I'm vilified for it. I want a real manager. From outside the organization that can think smart and creative. 

Snitker said he was 50/50 on PH for Dickey. Dickey said he felt it was the obvious decision to get a real hitter up. If only Bonifacio was a real hitter

3 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Snitker said he was 50/50 on PH for Dickey. Dickey said he felt it was the obvious decision to get a real hitter up. If only Bonifacio was a real hitter

Bingo. The decision itself was fine. It's the insistence that Bonifacio is your best option when you have both Flowers and Swanson available on the bench that's the issue.

TheTrue7 likes this

I thought our hitting was going to be much better against the Nats. Honestly, I thought our hitting was going to be better thus far period. Kevin Seitzer has some work to do.

The FO should realize they have to at least start adjusting the bench. You have to start moving some guys up from AAA to at least see if they can do better. Snitker takes some heat around here but the only MLB player on his bench is Peterson. There's only so much you can do with guys like d'Arnaud, Recker and Bonifacio. Those guys should be AAA depth and nothing more.

TheTrue7 likes this

Watching the replay. I don't know if Kemp's defensive liability is worth having him in the lineup. He should be a spot starter that mostly comes off the bench to hit. 

1 hour ago, Bi-Polar Crazy Man said:

Watching the replay. I don't know if Kemp's defensive liability is worth having him in the lineup. He should be a spot starter that mostly comes off the bench to hit. 

I was as critical of the Kemp acquisition as anyone, and I stand by it, but the bed is made. He hits enough to offset the glove. Barely. But he will produce more runs than he'll give up.

3 hours ago, E. T. said:

I thought our hitting was going to be much better against the Nats. Honestly, I thought our hitting was going to be better thus far period. Kevin Seitzer has some work to do.

Braves NL ranks

• Runs - 57 (11th)
  • Hits - 130 (6th)
  • Homeruns - 16 (8th)
  • Average - .255 (3rd)
  • On-Base - .317 (5th)
  • Slugging - .404 (6th)

So clearly something isn't adding up if the Braves rank so well in all those areas but are only 11th in runs scored.

3 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

The FO should realize they have to at least start adjusting the bench. You have to start moving some guys up from AAA to at least see if they can do better. Snitker takes some heat around here but the only MLB player on his bench is Peterson. There's only so much you can do with guys like d'Arnaud, Recker and Bonifacio. Those guys should be AAA depth and nothing more.

Last night he had both Flowers and Swanson was on his bench and he still went with Bonifacio. In a limited sample size Chase d'Arnaud has good pinch-hitting numbers. Despite all of that he still goes to Bonifacio as the first option off the bench. That's why i give him so much ****. That's why I call him a dumbass.

1 hour ago, K26dp said:

I was as critical of the Kemp acquisition as anyone, and I stand by it, but the bed is made. He hits enough to offset the glove. Barely. But he will produce more runs than he'll give up.

The bed is made. True. I guess we do need what his bat has the ability to do in the lineup everyday since we have him. I just have to hope the ball is hit elsewhere or pray like mad when it is hit his way. 

But we should clarify that runs he would give up is not limited to errors only. His inability to run well and inability to judge fly balls have resulted in singles that have dropped in or reachable line drives that go to the wall that would have been caught or stopped by a normal fielding outfielder. 

Edited by Bi-Polar Crazy Man

9 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Last night he had both Flowers and Swanson was on his bench and he still went with Bonifacio. In a limited sample size Chase d'Arnaud has good pinch-hitting numbers. Despite all of that he still goes to Bonifacio as the first option off the bench. That's why i give him so much ****. That's why I call him a dumbass.

Gasket blown .... :)  But you are dead on balls accurate on this. 

Edited by Bi-Polar Crazy Man

43 minutes ago, Bi-Polar Crazy Man said:

The bed is made. True. I guess we do need what his bat has the ability to do in the lineup everyday since we have him. I just have to hope the ball is hit elsewhere or pray like mad when it is hit his way. 

But we should clarify that runs he would give up is not limited to errors only. His inability to run well and inability to judge fly balls have resulted in singles that have dropped in or reachable line drives that go to the wall that would have been caught or stopped by a normal fielding outfielder. 

His routes are some of the worst I ever saw. In Pittsburgh is got him hurt -- he ended up diving to catch a ball that he could have caught on the run with a direct route. He landed on frozen turf and the team lost him for 11 days.

57 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

So clearly something isn't adding up if the Braves rank so well in all those areas but are only 11th in runs scored.

Bad luck in sequencing. The good news is that tends to even over a larger sample size.

Falconsfan567 likes this