Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fuego

Falcons' Taylor Gabriel, Ricardo Allen report without signed tenders

21 posts in this topic

Vaughn McClure ESPN Staff Writer

The Atlanta Falcons reported for the offseason workout program on Monday, and a pair of players showed up without yet signing their free-agent tenders.

Wide receiver Taylor Gabriel, a restricted free agent who was given the second-round tender of $2.746 million, was pictured arriving at the team's facility.

Although a team is unlikely to surrender a second-round draft pick by signing Gabriel to an offer sheet (if the Falcons' didn't match), the deadline for Gabriel to sign such an offer sheet is Friday. Essentially, Gabriel could wait until the last minute just to see if he can generate any outside interest. Injury protection is typically built to protect Gabriel as he goes through workouts this week.

The Falcons and Gabriel also could reach an agreement on a longer-term deal. The Vikings and wide receiver Adam Thielen reached a three-year, $17 million extension after Thielen received the second-round tender. Thielen's situation is a little different because he emerged as the Vikings' leader in receiver yards last season. However, the undrafted Gabriel certainly proved his worth in tying All-Pro Julio Jones for the Falcons' lead with six touchdown receptions in 2016.

Meanwhile, Allen, a former fifth-round pick, has an argument to receive a significant pay raise as a starter and team leader, but the safety has no real negotiating power as an exclusive rights free agent. His tender amount is $690,000.

Lineman Ben Garland already signed his exclusive rights tender.

On a different topic, running back Devonta Freeman reported Monday, as expected. Freeman is patiently waiting for a new contract. A deal expected to happen before the starter of the regular season and maybe by training camp.

http://www.espn.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/26633/falcons-taylor-gabriel-ricardo-allen-report-without-signed-tenders

dawgsfan426 and hashmark61 like this

1 minute ago, Lornoth said:

No hold outs, no drama, not even signed specifically yet and they show up to work. That's why I love this team.

This is why we won't have a SB hangover. We will not collapse like the Cam lead Panthers  

Kung-Pow, Birdy Dird and hashmark61 like this

39 minutes ago, Lornoth said:

No hold outs, no drama, not even signed specifically yet and they show up to work. That's why I love this team. I hope Gabe is a long term player for us, I love his play and his personality. He was a lot of fun to watch last year.

Yep, this is a good sign. I too hope Gabriel is a long term player for us as well, the guy is a class act.

54 minutes ago, sdogg said:

This is why we won't have a SB hangover. We will not collapse like the Cam lead Panthers  

Boys wanna play. They know Quinn can coach. They know a trophy went to the wrong team. They've got work to do. (Sounds like a bad Country song :ninja:.) Gabriel needs to sign his sheet. 

sdogg and Kung-Pow like this

18 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

This is why I don't want any small backs. The one we have carries the load. Get him some help in the form of a hammer.

Cue Samaje running over ESPN table at the Draft Day 3!

Knight of God likes this

1 hour ago, Lornoth said:

No hold outs, no drama, not even signed specifically yet and they show up to work. That's why I love this team. I hope Gabe is a long term player for us, I love his play and his personality. He was a lot of fun to watch last year.

They all seem ready to go! Plus, this is just part of the business game. They aren't anything crazy, just taking their time and going through all options. 

What I dont hear mentioned this offseason is the pay-for-performance bonus' that are paid out.

Im sure Allen is receiving bonus' from this considering his drafted status and current paycheck.

You guys know what I am talking about right?

42 minutes ago, ki46dinah said:

What I dont hear mentioned this offseason is the pay-for-performance bonus' that are paid out.

Im sure Allen is receiving bonus' from this considering his drafted status and current paycheck.

You guys know what I am talking about right?

I wonder if it matters that Allen was cut and then re-signed. I honestly don't know what his contract looked like the second time around.

13 hours ago, Knight of God said:

This is why I don't want any small backs. The one we have carries the load. Get him some help in the form of a hammer.

I'm hoping for Jamaal Williams out of BYU

Has fullback size and the body to beat up defenses early so Devonta can run free later

falconsd56 and Knight of God like this

8 minutes ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

I'm hoping for Jamaal Williams out of BYU

Has fullback size and the body to beat up defenses early so Devonta can run free later

Need a replacement for Coleman anyway I just don't see Atlanta keeping both I think Coleman will get starter money else where especially if he keeps improving..but a wrecking ball rb I wouldn't be against just would like him to have soft hands too 

16 hours ago, Lornoth said:

Brotherhood...sign these men

BIRDLAND 2.0 likes this

2 hours ago, RoddyWhite84 said:

Need a replacement for Coleman anyway I just don't see Atlanta keeping both I think Coleman will get starter money else where especially if he keeps improving..but a wrecking ball rb I wouldn't be against just would like him to have soft hands too 

I like the idea of a bigger back  just for the optics of it.

Coleman  and Freeman are very similar type backs... Freeman is more shifty and Coleman is faster  but they are similar.

Having a big  bulldozer type back changes how defenses  play you

RoddyWhite84 likes this

3 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

I like the idea of a bigger back  just for the optics of it.

Coleman  and Freeman are very similar type backs... Freeman is more shifty and Coleman is faster  but they are similar.

Having a big  bulldozer type back changes how defenses  play you

Those short yards become easy and you close out games more consistently..a big problem we have had and has bit us in the *** on more than one occasion.i enjoy seeing a back punish ppl honestly 

falconsd56 likes this

Just now, RoddyWhite84 said:

Those short yards become easy and you close out games more consistently..a big problem we have had and has bit us in the *** on more than one occasion.i enjoy seeing a back punish ppl honestly 

I agree

Having Coleman being out  late vs the Pats had an impact IMO.

Just now, falconsd56 said:

I agree

Having Coleman being out  late vs the Pats had an impact IMO.

I agree just not having someone else that could have carried that load hurt alot I wonder how many rb's we worked out its a good deep crop this year from my understanding