Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fuego

ESPN: Barnwell's '17 All-Trades Mock Draft

15 posts in this topic

I've just posted the Falcons. The rest at the link.

Mock drafts are ridiculous. You know this. I know this. The people writing them know this. They're also fun, which is why we all read a million of them before the draft. It's hard enough to predict what 32 teams will do, but it's downright impossible when you consider how the vast majority of mock drafts avoid projecting trades, which blow the draft order apart. With that in mind, over the past few years, I've decided to swing the pendulum in the opposite direction and put together a mock draft that consists entirely of trades.

Below, you'll find 32 trades involving each of the 32 selections in the first round of the 2017 NFL draft. The trades are intended to be reasonable for both sides while keeping in mind each team's history and style of management. The Browns are more aggressive in trading down and for future picks, while the Dolphins are more likely to move up for the player(s) they want. I'm not suggesting that these trades would necessarily be good ideas for either side or what I would recommend each team do, but it's an attempt to find fair value given the complex motivations and needs of an entire league.

Picks in the 2017 draft are notated with the round and overall pick number, so the 33rd pick (which is the first selection in the second round) would be designated as 2-33. Picks in future drafts are written out. Crucially -- and this is important to note before getting angry -- this is a multiverse in which each trade takes place in its own universe. The Saints trade I propose with the first pick has nothing to do with the Saints trade I throw out at 11.

While I typically measure the actual value of picks using the draft value chart created by Chase Stuart, the reality is that more teams will measure their trades using something closer to the chart generated by Jimmy Johnson in the early 1990s. That chart is outdated for a number of reasons, but traditional teams are still applying it, so it's more relevant to this conversation. For teams with an analytics bent like the Browns and Ravens, I'll lean heavier on the Stuart chart.

Let's just start with total lunacy and go from there:

atl.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

31. Atlanta Falcons

Dolphins get: 1-31
Falcons get: 2-54, 2018 first-round pick

After a great 2016 draft, the Falcons are sitting pretty. They have one of the deepest rosters in the league, franchise players on either side of the football and a steady cap situation. Their only significant hole is at guard, but this is a terrible draft for offensive linemen. Atlanta can trade down and use a later pick on a secondary pass-rusher to support Vic Beasley while waiting to draft its right guard of the future in what should be a better draft for offensive linemen next year.

Few teams would consider making this second-round and future first-round trade in 2017, but the Dolphins are the exception to many rules when it comes to player evaluation and valuation. Would they make this move for someone like Jabrill Peppers or Christian McCaffrey if they're still on the board at 31? It wouldn't be out of the question.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story/_/id/19157025/bill-barnwell-2017-all-trades-mock-nfl-draft-first-round-deals-all-32-teams

I wouldn't mind this either.  Picking up an extra pick, especially a first rounder next year, would be good.  Just hope Miami loses almost every game this year and make their pick a top five-ten pick next season! 

I'm sure we have a specific player or two that we want at 31, but if they are not there, I'd do that real quick. Then I'll be watching a lot of Mia football and hoping they lose a lot. 

I believe Dimitroff's hands dialing the phone in that scenario would mirror a five year old playing Mortal Combat!  He'd break fingers making that trade.