Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
birdz4i

Tevin Coleman led all NFL running backs in yards per route run

22 posts in this topic

By: Tim Weaver | April 17, 2017 9:26 am

If it looked to the naked eye like Tevin Coleman of the Atlanta Falcons was the most effecient receiving running back in the league last season then your vision is on point.

According to the analysts at Pro Football Focus, Coleman averaged 2.44 yards per route run in 2016, which was more than any other running back in the entire NFL:

A third-round pick in the 2015 NFL draft, Coleman posted a total of 31 catches, 421 receiving yards and three touchdowns last season. He also chipped in another 520 yards and eight touchdowns in the run game. For what it’s worth, Pro Football Focus ranked Coleman No. 19at his position for the year.

The pair of Coleman and Atlanta’s starter Devonta Freeman is arguably the best running back duo in the NFL at this point.

Together, they combined for an incredible 2,482 total yards and 24 touchdowns from scrimmage.

http://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/17/tevin-coleman-led-all-nfl-running-backs-in-yards-per-route-run/

Does that mean if he ran a route, but wasn't targeted, it is still averaged into the total? Otherwise cannot make sense of the stat

5 minutes ago, MACK2THEFUTURE said:

Does that mean if he ran a route, but wasn't targeted, it is still averaged into the total? Otherwise cannot make sense of the stat

Yes. Think of it like YPA for a QB. 

15 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

3rd and 4th round picks are the best duo in the NFL go figure

Who would have thought it..hopefully we can keep them together for a long time but part me thinks Coleman is gone his contract year..could probably go start right now in a bunch of places

25 minutes ago, birdz4i said:

By: Tim Weaver | April 17, 2017 9:26 am

If it looked to the naked eye like Tevin Coleman of the Atlanta Falcons was the most effecient receiving running back in the league last season then your vision is on point.

According to the analysts at Pro Football Focus, Coleman averaged 2.44 yards per route run in 2016, which was more than any other running back in the entire NFL:

A third-round pick in the 2015 NFL draft, Coleman posted a total of 31 catches, 421 receiving yards and three touchdowns last season. He also chipped in another 520 yards and eight touchdowns in the run game. For what it’s worth, Pro Football Focus ranked Coleman No. 19at his position for the year.

The pair of Coleman and Atlanta’s starter Devonta Freeman is arguably the best running back duo in the NFL at this point.

Together, they combined for an incredible 2,482 total yards and 24 touchdowns from scrimmage.

http://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/17/tevin-coleman-led-all-nfl-running-backs-in-yards-per-route-run/

Add Samaje Perine to this mix. All 3 can catch and run. 

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

48 minutes ago, RoddyWhite84 said:

Who would have thought it..hopefully we can keep them together for a long time but part me thinks Coleman is gone his contract year..could probably go start right now in a bunch of places

Wouldn't sweat I think man if there finding that sought of talent that deep in the draft I could live without Coleman because of the confidence I'd have in them to find another replica like him.

Its a great thing that we are drafting that well we have to let players like this go not saying we will but it's a good thing means the FO and coaches are doing there job.

Kung-Pow likes this

51 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Wouldn't sweat I think man if there finding that sought of talent that deep in the draft I could live without Coleman because of the confidence I'd have in them to find another replica like him.

Its a great thing that we are drafting that well we have to let players like this go not saying we will but it's a good thing means the FO and coaches are doing there job.

I don't care how good our front office is, there was a large amount of luck involved with the last two drafts, and no one can expect repeat performances like that. Best to hold on dearly to the talent you found, and not let them slip away. 

Jerz likes this

2 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

And yet Tevin caught, what, one ball in the SB and Free ran the ball like 3 times in the 2nd half?  Ugh, I'm beginning to think I'm never going to fully get over that **** game lol

That being said, we have the best 1-2 punch in the league and I am curious to see how they integrate into Sark's scheme.

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

That's the trauma and the heartbreak for us fans, to see us start to lose some of the emerging stars because of the salary cap. But the thing you have to like and put your faith in is the ability of your HC and FO to come up with new guys in the later rounds or FA that can take their place and keep up the same level of productivity, like the Patriots. And we seem to have the HC and FO to get the job done.

kiwifalcon and Falconsin2012 like this

2 hours ago, MACK2THEFUTURE said:

On the other hand it means, every play he was in the game he averaged that despite all the times he didn't get a carry or a catch. 

1 hour ago, Cheap Talk said:

I don't care how good our front office is, there was a large amount of luck involved with the last two drafts, and no one can expect repeat performances like that. Best to hold on dearly to the talent you found, and not let them slip away. 

Not really. We just know what traits and skills we want and we find ways to use the people we draft. As long as you know what kind of players you want and how you want to utilize them, you can have the success we've had. No reason to think it's just luck. 

kiwifalcon likes this

3 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

We should have passed on the NFLs top sackmaster last year Beasley and burned our high draft pick on Gurley instead!  Haha

47 minutes ago, falconfansince66 said:

On the other hand it means, every play he was in the game he averaged that despite all the times he didn't get a carry or a catch. 

excepting pass blocking I am assuming

Let's not get carried away , don't underestimate his ability , the backfield will not be the same , may see a little decline 

7 hours ago, Cheap Talk said:

Welcome to the NFL you can't have superstars at every spot we are thankful we can have these 2 guys together for at least another year.Luck well yeah I guess but I'm expecting something much the same they no exactly who and what they need now it's not a stab in the dark and the last 2 years have proven that.

HASHBROWN3 likes this

15 hours ago, gazoo said:

We should have passed on the NFLs top sackmaster last year Beasley and burned our high draft pick on Gurley instead!  Haha

Dude come on... give it a rest already. 5 years down the road are we still gonna be mentioning Gurley? And I wanted Beasley, this is just annoying 

gazoo likes this

I say we plan to draft his replacement next year. That'll give the third string back a year to learn the system, get a few snaps in, and the replace Coleman the following year when he's looking for somewhere to earn starter money and starter reps.

The team seemed to use him less and less down the stretch as a receiver. Might be because of the emergence of Taylor Gabriel or due to potential injury concerns with Teco.

I still think we need to add that big bruiser running back.   Get Foreman from Texas and we are set

18 hours ago, Lornoth said:

Not really. We just know what traits and skills we want and we find ways to use the people we draft. As long as you know what kind of players you want and how you want to utilize them, you can have the success we've had. No reason to think it's just luck. 

Hope you are right, and it is that easy. Would rather the luck equation be taken out.