ShanghaiDirtyBird

With couple of weeks left, predict who will Pioli select in the 1st?

107 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, TheFatboi said:

How do you know?? Wes almost beat Chester out last year and Chester was still a serviceable NFL starter. That's why they battle. You guys are acting as if we draft a RG the job is automatically his and there won't be a competition for the job. 

That's my thing! Bingo! Great post! Why do we automatically assume Wes is garbage. He came close to being a starter last year. And, you're right; who is to say that a first round guy in a weak OL class is a plug and play. My knock on Lamp--that many forget, but I bet TD is thinking through--is he is a small school prospect. Little things like that are in play right now.

I'm like you, I see a lot of smoke and mirrors. I'm really starting to think we'll go TE or FS in the first round. Have you also noticed we've been paying a lot of attention to late round OL and EDGE prospects? Almost like the Pettigrew thing in 09. Lots of EDGE guys and TEs were are visits...very little on Jerry. Then bam he's the pick.

I can't wait until the draft!

8 hours ago, etherdome said:

Jerry busted due to injuries.  That kid had talent and his talent fit into the defensive system at the time.  

The truly disastrous thing about those times was that the Falcons were going through too many changes in coaching and philosophies.

Those days are long gone.  We finally have a head coach that is smart and knows what he wants to do.  But, I digress, Peria Jerry was a good player with a knee that betrayed him......and we wasted a first round pick on the poor guy.   

Hard to say we wasted--all prospects come with risk. It was just a sad thing...Jerry could have been a warren sapp type of UT. He was a fantastic pick for the tampa 2 type scheme that we ran at the time.

It got nutty after that lost NFC Championship. I think that the pressure got to Smitty. He got cute.

1 hour ago, MSalmon said:

That's my thing! Bingo! Great post! Why do we automatically assume Wes is garbage. He came close to being a starter last year. And, you're right; who is to say that a first round guy in a weak OL class is a plug and play. My knock on Lamp--that many forget, but I bet TD is thinking through--is he is a small school prospect. Little things like that are in play right now.

I'm like you, I see a lot of smoke and mirrors. I'm really starting to think we'll go TE or FS in the first round. Have you also noticed we've been paying a lot of attention to late round OL and EDGE prospects? Almost like the Pettigrew thing in 09. Lots of EDGE guys and TEs were are visits...very little on Jerry. Then bam he's the pick.

I can't wait until the draft!

I really think Quinn wants the defense to be as good as the offense. Especially after what happened in the SB. He's gonna want to make sure the defense doesn't gas out and we have the rotation to stay fresh. Now I'm not saying if we get a guard in the 1st that I'd be mad because I think Quinn has a hold on how he wants the team built but we can absolutely get a talented guard in the 3rd or 4th. If we drafted edge or FS in the 1st I'd love that. And which ever we got in the 1st he the other in the second. 

7 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

I really think Quinn wants the defense to be as good as the offense. Especially after what happened in the SB. He's gonna want to make sure the defense doesn't gas out and we have the rotation to stay fresh. Now I'm not saying if we get a guard in the 1st that I'd be mad because I think Quinn has a hold on how he wants the team built but we can absolutely get a talented guard in the 3rd or 4th. If we drafted edge or FS in the 1st I'd love that. And which ever we got in the 1st he the other in the second. 

Yeah, I had this worry going in to the SB. I think it was you I spoke with. Cover 3 is very position specific. It relies VERY heavily on the FS unlike most systems.

Of the reported 14-16 of a possible 30 Official visits so far, 6 have been players projected in a potential range to go off the board at 31, just after, or earlier.

3 are Edge players, 2 are safeties, and the last is a TE.

1 hour ago, Knight of God said:

Yeah, I had this worry going in to the SB. I think it was you I spoke with. Cover 3 is very position specific. It relies VERY heavily on the FS unlike most systems.

Yea it's really dependent on that fs being able to play centerfield with range. 

Knight of God and RandomFan like this

Pioli almost fired Arthur Blank from being the owner of the team last year after the Super Bowl but decided to give him one more chance.

true story

A FS at 31? LMBO. Everybody knows you start in the trenches. If we draft a safety at all, I would go with John Johnson in the 3rd. First 2 picks should go towards the lines.

15 minutes ago, ike barn87987 said:

A FS at 31? LMBO. Everybody knows you start in the trenches. If we draft a safety at all, I would go with John Johnson in the 3rd. First 2 picks should go towards the lines.

We drafted a safety in the 1st last year. 2nd pick was a LB. 3rd was a TE, 4th was a LB. Drafted a guard in the SIXTH and he almost beat out the incumbent. What are you talking about?? We're returning 10 starters on offense. Not drafting a guard in the 1st is NOT gonna make or break this offense. With the addition of Poe we can afford to take another safety early. And we don't HAVE to draft a guard in the 1st either to get a good one. The pats started a rookie LG in the SB and he wasn't drafted in the 1st round. 

8 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

We drafted a safety in the 1st last year. 2nd pick was a LB. 3rd was a TE, 4th was a LB. What are you talking about?? We're returning 10 starters from last year. Not drafting a guard in the 1st is NOT gonna make it break this team. With the addition of Poe we can afford to take another safety early. And we don't HAVE to draft a guard in the 1st either to get a good one. The pats started a rookie LG in the SB and he wasn't drafted in the 1st round. 

People on this board get stuck on one idea for decades.

2 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

People on this board get stuck on one idea for decades.

Yea I know. This ideology is how you become a bad team. That's why we play FA the way we do. They want everybody in FA also whether they fit the system or not. As long as they know their name lol. It amazes me how easy football is yet fans make it so complicated. 

4 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Yea I know. This ideology is how you become a bad team. That's why we play FA the way we do. They want everybody in FA also whether they fit the system or not. As long as they know their name lol. It amazes me how easy football is yet fans make it so complicated. 

Its 100% if you have a vague idea of the system. Like LEO. Just because a guy lines up where Beasley was last play doesn't mean he lined up as LEO. Just because Beasley is listed at OLB doesn't mean he lines up LEO and SLB every down.

RandomFan likes this

6 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

We drafted a safety in the 1st last year. 2nd pick was a LB. 3rd was a TE, 4th was a LB. What are you talking about?? We're returning 10 starters from last year. Not drafting a guard in the 1st is NOT gonna make it break this team. With the addition of Poe we can afford to take another safety early. And we don't HAVE to draft a guard in the 1st either to get a good one. 

You're just wasting your time. They don't understand that you don't have to draft a guard in the 1st round to get a great one.

• Nate Newton - Cowboys - 1986 - Undrafted - 6 Pro Bowl - 2 All-Pro - 3 Super Bowls
  • Kevin Gogan - Cowboys - 1987 - 8th Round (206th) - 3 Pro Bowl - 2 Super Bowl
  • Mark Schlereth - Redskins - 1989 - 10th Round (263rd) - 2 Pro Bowl - 3 Super Bowls
  • Will Shields - Chiefs - 1993 - 3rd Round (74th) - 12 Pro Bowl - 2 All-Pro - Hall of Fame
  • Derrick Deese - 49ers - 1994 - Undrafted - 1 Super Bowl
  • Dan Neil - Broncos - 1997 - 3rd Round (67th) - 2 Super Bowls
  • Kynan Forney - Falcons - 2001 - 7th Round (219th)

Just a few guys that were great guards!

Vandy and RandomFan like this

6 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Next you'll tell me pimpin' is easy

2 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Its 100% if you have a vague idea of the system. Like LEO. Just because a guy lines up where Beasley was last play doesn't mean he lined up as LEO. Just because Beasley is listed at OLB doesn't mean he lines up LEO and SLB every down.

Exactly. 

Knight of God likes this

2 minutes ago, FalconAge said:

Next you'll tell me pimpin' is easy

It is to those that know what they're doing and have a knack for it. I make music for a living. It's hard on the average but it's easy for me compared to somebody that doesn't know what they're doing. The average sports fan doesn't KNOW the game like that. They just like to watch and be entertained. They know the basics and that's it. Football isn't rocket science but fans act like it is. But the main reason is because they go what THEY believe will make the team better instead of following the coaches philosophy. I've been following Quinn's team building philosophy since bill Walsh was the HC of the 49ers. That's why I understand how he's building the team. It's unconventional sometimes but there's a method to the madness. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, ike barn87987 said:

A FS at 31? LMBO. Everybody knows you start in the trenches. First 2 picks should go towards the lines.

Ignorant post of the day nominee.

Edited by RandomFan

4 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Ignorant post of the day nominee.

We will see April 27th who's really the ignorant ones.

There 1 thing for a fact our HC wants a day 1 starter at number 1. There is no LB are DE that would start day 1 at 31. That being said I think OL will be our 2 rd pick. 

55 minutes ago, JJC28 said:

There 1 thing for a fact our HC wants a day 1 starter at number 1. There is no LB are DE that would start day 1 at 31. That being said I think OL will be our 2 rd pick. 

Depends on what you mean by "Starting" at DE. We don't really have a LE or 2'nd passrusher opposite Vic right now. Clay's there but we can definitely add some competition.

Am I the only who does not care who has final say, or the exact power structure of the front office? It's a collaborative effort, the board's attention on front office politics is mere palace intrigue.

All of these mocks are projections and do not mean one thing to me. Many posters like to post mock draft guesses and that is fine. For me I will let the staff make their picks and then I will evaluate them.

11 minutes ago, tactician said:

Am I the only who does not care who has final say, or the exact power structure of the front office? It's a collaborative effort, the board's attention on front office politics is mere palace intrigue.

The only people that care about it are those that refuse to give TD any credit for anything positive that the Falcons do.

6 hours ago, Knight of God said:

What FS do you like at 31?? 

Knight of God likes this

What I don't get with a lot of these draft discussions is that several persons are simply focused on need and ignoring the "value" of the prospects. Just because we need pass rushers doesn't mean that we have a first round grade on any of them. 

Falconsfan567 and JJC28 like this