ShanghaiDirtyBird

With couple of weeks left, predict who will Pioli select in the 1st?

107 posts in this topic

I love how you titled it, "Pioli" when it's actually known that Dimitroff is the one that pulls the name off the draft board and Dimitroff is the one who has the final say.  It's a collective agreement between Pioli, (look, I gave your guy top billing) Quinn, and Dimitroff.  #Brotherhood

A direct quote from Arthur Blank: "Scott [Pioli] now has responsibility for running free agency and the draft,'' Blank said. But you guys are funny

9 minutes ago, ShanghaiDirtyBird said:

A direct quote from Arthur Blank: "Scott [Pioli] now has responsibility for running free agency and the draft,'' Blank said. But you guys are funny

Blank also said Dimi has final say.

Smiler11 likes this

4 hours ago, ShanghaiDirtyBird said:

Piloi is responsible for day to day running of the pro and college personnel sections. That doesn't mean he makes the picks. He's TD's assistant. Picks are made collaboratively, and his boss TD has final say if the brain trust cannot reach a collaborative decisions.

citsalp, gazoo and Smiler11 like this

This is a collaborative effort but Pioli has great influence over the draft picks.  The OP probably wanted to get a dig into TD, but he is not far off.

I think that we will draft Forrest Lamp, if he is available.  He will be the top-rated prospect at a position of need and we will probably only have second-tier edge rushers available to us at #31.  

IF Lamp is off the board, I think that our FO will work a trade down.   If that is not possible, I think we will draft either Charles Harris or Derek Rivers.     

1 hour ago, etherdome said:

This is a collaborative effort but Pioli has great influence over the draft picks.  The OP probably wanted to get a dig into TD, but he is not far off.

I think that we will draft Forrest Lamp, if he is available.  He will be the top-rated prospect at a position of need and we will probably only have second-tier edge rushers available to us at #31.  

IF Lamp is off the board, I think that our FO will work a trade down.   If that is not possible, I think we will draft either Charles Harris or Derek Rivers.     

Baker or Rivers if Lamp has already been selected, of course if we find a trading partner my hunch is we'll trade back and look to target either one there instead.

Posted (edited)

I remember a video posted last year w/ Quinn and TD talking about how if they dont come to a unanimous agreement on players either of them are eyeing, they dont pick either one.

Essentially they both have to like the player at that pick to make that pick.

Edited by RubberDucky
youngbloodz and RandomFan like this

4 minutes ago, ShanghaiDirtyBird said:

I am continuously shocked at how many of you want to use our first round pick on a guard. Mouth to the floor.

Dude, If the team selected Forrest Lamp at the bottom of the 1st round, i would not be butt hurt in the slightest.  He's a bad man!  

But just to play devil's advocate, and yes you are still a sly devil for not acknowledging TD, selecting interior linemen early worked out horribly for the Dallas Cowboys...:shrug:

Would I prefer a defensive player... you bet.

SamMills51 likes this

6 minutes ago, ShanghaiDirtyBird said:

I am continuously shocked at how many of you want to use our first round pick on a guard. Mouth to the floor.

Isn't this topic a case of what we predict someone else would do and not what we would do ourselves?

Think, not a want (at least as a first rounder bearing in mind what other strong positions are available).

Posted (edited)

I'm ok with Forrest Lamp in the 1st because he'd projects as a plug and play starter, and can be moved around to other positions, if need be. Lamp and Matthews would give the Falcons 2 versatile O-lineman under 26, who might be around for a long time. I'm not typically one who is ok with a interior lineman in the 1st round, but Lamp looks good and it's only pick 31.

ps Lamp won't make it to pick 31, so it's moot.

Edited by Halsey.

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Dude, If the team selected Forrest Lamp at the bottom of the 1st round, i would not be butt hurt in the slightest.  He's a bad man!  

But just to play devil's advocate, and yes you are still a sly devil for not acknowledging TD, selecting interior linemen early worked out horribly for the Dallas Cowboys...:shrug:

Would I prefer a defensive player... you bet.

Everyone gets so serious about TD. The guy has won some and lost some like every GM. He's been well above average at managing the cap.

But while I really believe that Pioli might have final say on the draft picks, I mainly just like getting some of these guys panties in a wad

Edited by ShanghaiDirtyBird
HASHBROWN3 likes this

11 minutes ago, Domed Outter said:

Isn't this topic a case of what we predict someone else would do and not what we would do ourselves?

Think, not a want (at least as a first rounder bearing in mind what other strong positions are available).

Fair point. But I also kind of think it's a little silly to think our front office will do that. But your point is noted