Sipifalcon

O.J. Howard visiting

81 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Seems strange but hey if he drops to us then at least we will have done our hw on him.

Edited by Crazy Trav

1 minute ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Imagine the board if we trade up for him. Lmao. 

Honestly I wouldn't be upset... Because the first thing that would come to mind is "Could you imagine him in this offense" Scary 

25 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Imagine the board if we trade up for him. Lmao. 

Love it.

At this point in time it would be a TD DQ decision I'd be good with it.

How far up early 20s yeah man it's like going up for someone like Reddick in the same range.

25 minutes ago, Sipifalcon said:

Honestly I wouldn't be upset... Because the first thing that would come to mind is "Could you imagine him in this offense" Scary 

I've heard stuff like he doesn't block which is BS I've seen plenty of film where this guy blocks.He would kill it in this offense.

3 hours ago, Sipifalcon said:

The next thing that comes to mind:

How to destroy your future part 2.0: Waste draft capital and the future on a TE. That makes 1/8th of what a pass rusher normally makes these days.

Vandy and Dirtybird3 like this

4 minutes ago, SamMills51 said:

The next thing that comes to mind:

How to destroy your future part 2.0: Waste draft capital and the future on a TE. That makes 1/8th of what a pass rusher normally makes these days.

I didn't realize the draft was about drafting positions that eventually eat all your salary cap.... If Howard has 1/2 the impact Tony G. did; I would call it a success.

Just now, ATL2SeaTacFalcon4Life said:

I didn't realize the draft was about drafting positions that eventually eat all your salary cap.... If Howard has 1/2 the impact Tony G. did; I would call it a success.

That's the thing. I don't believe he will. He's an overrated TE in one of the strongest classes in recent memory. There are plenty of TEs I could see a Gonzalez-esque effect from, even from late rounders like Cethan Carter.

1 minute ago, SamMills51 said:

That's the thing. I don't believe he will. He's an overrated TE in one of the strongest classes in recent memory. There are plenty of TEs I could see a Gonzalez-esque effect from, even from late rounders like Cethan Carter.

Lmfao 

1 minute ago, Falcanuck said:

We could just sign a bunch of washed up edge guys like the Panthers

If Peppers has any sort of success as Freeney did or Ware did for the Broncos, I'm pleased.

Smart move especially if it's cheap.

Vandy likes this

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Lmfao 

Not saying he'd be immediately Gonzalez level coming in. But he does flash some stuff that does look like him. 

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2017/03/02/rsp-boiler-room-no-85-te-cethan-carter-suddenness-and-bend/

When he played for the Falcons, Tony Gonzalez could no longer stretch the seam or wreak havoc in the open field like he did with the Chiefs for most of his career. Even so, defenders couldn’t cover the old tight end in the shallow zone.

It’s because Gonzalez still possessed two skills that the “next Tony Gonzalezes” (that never came to fruition) lacked. Two skills that many don’t value in comparison to size, vertical leap, wide catch radii, Reed-like speed, and Gronkowski-like power.

These skills are bend and suddenness.

Until the day he retired, Gonzalez could drop his hips and bend his knees into a sudden stop within the span of one step and he could whip around in his breaks. These two things earned Gonzalez all the separation he needed over the middle.

Cethan Carter is young, fast, strong, and has all the flashy things that other folks value. He’ll likely impress this weekend in the running events and I wouldn’t be surprised if he out-lifts bigger tight ends, too.

But it’s how Carter integrates his burst and flexibility into routes that excites me as a talent evaluator. This week’s Boiler Room examines Carter’s burgeoning route prowess, including his bend, suddenness, release acumen, and reading one level ahead of the defense.

Edited by SamMills51
Atlfanstckndenver likes this

3 minutes ago, SamMills51 said:

:huh:

Just now, ATL2SeaTacFalcon4Life said:

:huh:

Nothing on Howard's tape shows a special TE. He doesn't run many routes, and his catching is average with no YAC. Underutilized by a coach known for bringing out the best out of every player. 

Njoku and Hodges have shown more than him at this point on tape. Howard has to prove it's because of Bama's scheme, and not the coach hiding his deficiencies, hence why the Howard hype is all projection.

3 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Love it.

At this point in time it would be a TD DQ decision I'd be good with it.

How far up early 20s yeah man it's like going up for someone like Reddick in the same range.

Well, that didn't take very long for you to go back there, did it my fickle friend?

:ninja:

17 minutes ago, SamMills51 said:

Not sure about Carter but I agree 100% on OJ. I don't understand the rationale between drafting the top rated player at one of the deepest positions in the draft, especially if you have a late round pick like the Falcons do. There's no value there. Once you get to the 3'rd and later is when you can start thinking about digging into the deep positions where you may not necessarily have a huge need. You can find guys that would go in the 1'st/2'nd other years that just get pushed down because of how flooded the position is that year. Lots of good TE's in this class that will still be available later on, I don't see the value in grabbing OJ who is only somewhat better.

17 minutes ago, SamMills51 said:

Nothing on Howard's tape shows a special TE.

I would not trade up for any player, but howard is gonna be a better player in NFL than he was in college. 

g-dawg likes this