Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
atljbo

Film Study:Quinn Breaks Down Poe Signing

20 posts in this topic

I love it.  Love the flexibility you have with Poe and the different fronts you can use him in.  He can literally be the centerpiece of any front you can think of.  And it's the most annoying thing in the world for an offensive playcaller if his offensive line can't get any interior movement for the running game.

Posted (edited)

I like it. I can see Poe and Jarrett even switching positions on occasion (NT vs DT) depending on tendencies and weaknesses in the Oline. I think Poe even likes his ability be aggressive and not just play your typical 3-4NT. Quinn probably promised him some productive looks so he can raise his own value. Rumor has it that the Colts offered him 50 or 60 million over 5 years and he turned it down to play here for one/8? He might really ball out next year. I won't hold my breath but he and Jarret together may be too much for 90% of offensive lines for an entire game. They are both just extremely athletic big men. 

It it will be interesting, that's for certain. I wonder if this will allow Hags to spell Shelby at 5T (he's played well at DE in run defense) as well as both DTs. We have a nice rotation and are one agreesive DE away from having something special. 

Edited by droopy1592

2 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

I like it. I can see Poe and Jarrett even switching positions on occasion (NT vs DT) depending on tendencies and weaknesses in the Oline. I think Poe even likes his ability be aggressive and not just play your typical 3-4NT. Quinn probably promised him some productive looks so he can raise his own value. Rumor has it that the Colts offered him 50 or 60 million over 5 years and he turned it down to play here for one/8? He might really ball out next year. I won't hold my breath but he and Jarret together may be too much for 90% of offensive lines for an entire game. They are both just extremely athletic big men. 

It it will be interesting, that's for certain. I wonder if this will allow Hags to spell Shelby at 5T (he's played well at DE in run defense) as well as both DTs. We have a nice rotation and are one agreesive DE away from having something special. 

Agreed. Poe's only issue is staying healthy, not his ability.

just curious...who do you hope we draft for that agresssive DE?

You can see coach talked about the speed coming off the edge with the guys up the middle pushing the pocket

4 minutes ago, droopy1592 said:

I like it. I can see Poe and Jarrett even switching positions on occasion (NT vs DT) depending on tendencies and weaknesses in the Oline. I think Poe even likes his ability be aggressive and not just play your typical 3-4NT. Quinn probably promised him some productive looks so he can raise his own value. Rumor has it that the Colts offered him 50 or 60 million over 5 years and he turned it down to play her for one? He might really ball out next year. I won't hold my breath but he and Jarret together may be too much for 90% of offensive lines for an entire game. They are both just extremely athletic big men.

that's what I like about Poe, for a guy his size he moves very well in space. Quinn loves to run stunts and most big guys aren't fast enough to engage then get off the block to allow his partner to get around. in the play-offs Grady was almost unblockable because he was getting off so fast but Babs and T Jax weren't quick enough to eat when Jarrett got off. Upshaw did well for a while but we were on the field so long he wore down. I'm interested to see what Quinn is gonna do with Crawford and Shelby when he gets back. all I know is we got a very nice rotation of guys.

I think we will bring Freeney back for one more year but i do think Beasley and Rivers will be our outside speed rushers

52 minutes ago, atljbo said:

I think we will bring Freeney back for one more year but i do think Beasley and Rivers will be our outside speed rushers

He's running out of time. Quinn was very clear that Freeney needed to be a part of the whole offseason if he wanted to come back.

That starts next week.

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

Agreed. Poe's only issue is staying healthy, not his ability.

just curious...who do you hope we draft for that agresssive DE?

I'm starting to ride on the agree with KoG train. I had tons of time last year to review film, but this year has been oddly much busier each (medical so typically beginning of year is slow and end is excessively busy) month in our business and I haven't had time for anything really. I don't have a favorite that's within reach.  

Vandy likes this

Posted (edited)

This is one of those pickups that I was at first like:  Okay that's not bad.  Then I got to thinking about Grady playing like he did in the SB on a more consistent basis and Poe not having to spend all his time as an anchor like he did in KC and I started to feel like this could be special.  Then I considered Beasley having an opposite along with Poe and Grady and I began to fear for the safety of NFL QBs.  This could be so nasty that I am trying to temper my expectations.

BTW...Sounded like DQ has Hags in the plans so the cut bait rumor can go away unless he makes an *** of himself or some new domestic stuff comes up.

Edited by Monolith2001

14 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

This is one of those pickups that I was at first like:  Okay that's not bad.  Then I got to thinking about Grady playing like he did in the SB on a more consistent basis and Poe not having to spend all his time as an anchor like he did in KC and I started to feel like this could be special.  Then I considered Beasley having an opposite along with Poe and Grady and I began to fear for the safety of NFL QBs.  This could be so nasty that I am trying to temper my expectations.

BTW...Sounded like DQ has Hags in the plans so the cut bait rumor can go away unless he makes an *** of himself or some new domestic stuff comes up.

Exactly. These guys will all be coming into their own and really peaking at the right time. I'm very optimistic but tempering as well. This is the most pumped I've been in a while. Many arrows pointing up for a while. If we stay healthy, we go far. 

27 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

Hags came on strong end of last year. 

Jerz, Drew4719, jas82487 and 2 others like this

3 hours ago, droopy1592 said:

Man I'm super fired-up about the Poe signing and I hope the F.O. will get him extended before the season is over the dude is a 347lb beast who moves like a 280lb man. I don't see how OC's are gonna stop our defense Poe's not stupid he wants to be part of the beginning! I'm putting everyone on this message board on notice right phucking now the Falcons will have at a minimum a top 10 defense this upcoming season but I really believe were gonna be a top 5 defense depending upon who we add in the draft this year. This team is so close to being a dominant Super Bowl contending team year in and year out. DQ will be the NFL's next Bill Belichick, Seattle hasn't been the same since he left. Decades from now NFL fans will look back on the 2016 season and say it was the first time the Super Bowl ever went to OT and the biggest comeback in Super Bowl history happened but what everyone will remember first and foremost is it was the beginning of the greatest dynasty in the history of sports, and I truly believe were on the cusp of greatness. What a great time in history to be a Falcons Lifer!!! 

ATLFalcons11 and HASHBROWN3 like this

8 minutes ago, Falcons&Dawgs#1Fan said:

Man I'm super fired-up about the Poe signing and I hope the F.O. will get him extended before the season is over the dude is a 347lb beast who moves like a 280lb man. I don't see how OC's are gonna stop our defense Poe's not stupid he wants to be part of the beginning! I'm putting everyone on this message board on notice right phucking now the Falcons will have at a minimum a top 10 defense this upcoming season but I really believe were gonna be a top 5 defense depending upon who we add in the draft this year. This team is so close to being a dominant Super Bowl contending team year in and year out. DQ will be the NFL's next Bill Belichick, Seattle hasn't been the same since he left. Decades from now NFL fans will look back on the 2016 season and say it was the first time the Super Bowl ever went to OT and the biggest comeback in Super Bowl history happened but what everyone will remember first and foremost is it was the beginning of the greatest dynasty in the history of sports, and I truly believe were on the cusp of greatness. What a great time in history to be a Falcons Lifer!!! 

Man I sure hope so. If they can keep drafting the way they have and keep signing great rotations on the D, fans of other teams will hate to see us coming. Matt will always handle business as long as he is protected. 

6 hours ago, atljbo said:

You can see coach talked about the speed coming off the edge with the guys up the middle pushing the pocket

Yep, that jumped out at me that as well. 

You can't ever have enough D-Lineman, and if a guy can push the pocket up the middle, that creates so many problems for the opposing offense.  Poe's prescence will take us from a mid-20's defense to a Top 15 defense.