ket222

How can we pay for freeman after truffant's contract? what other players will we lose?

69 posts in this topic

how can we possibly pay for freeman's contract after tru's huge payout?  I suppose we'll just pay him next year?  (I know little about the cap, tell me not to panic!) who are the players we will probably lose in next two to three years because of lack of cap space due to large contracts for ryan, tru, etc?  we just have so much talent (and they'll be wanting big payouts), I wonder what our team will look like in three years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Honestly I hope they don't resign him I would let him become a FA and test his value not a freeman fan I think he's overated by most on this board.

Edited by boss
caponine, Skeetbird and ya_boi_j like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I think Sanu is a goner after 2017. Assuming our 2017 OG works out, I think Levitre is approached about restructuring but ultimatly is gone. We go hard after Poe and look to trade Alford with Poole continuing to develop. We lose Reed and Clayborn.

Edited by FalconAge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We actually gained $4 million for 2017 in the Trufant deal. We get another $4 million after June 1st from TJax being released. Our draft pool could be between $3-4.5 million. Depending on the players selected, you could see another cut (Reed or Clayborn) to gain some money.

I actually would prefer to bring back Freeney at $1 million than Clayborn at $5 million.

Plus Freeman's contract extension can easily have a low cap figure for 2017.

Also, Matt Ryan has an $18 million tag this year, so if an extension occured, could easily drop that number by $1-2 million without hurting us down the road.

 

Dont worry. Our Front Office has been great with the cap recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh I hope not, freeman is awesome for us  I just don't think we're the offense we saw last year without him, just so dynamic

I guess a question would be: what is a realistic three year plan to pay for Matthews, freeman, beasely (sp?), etc.  ? who will we have to let go ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ket222 said:

oh I hope not, freeman is awesome for us  I just don't think we're the offense we saw last year without him, just so dynamic

I guess a question would be: what is a realistic three year plan to pay for Matthews, freeman, beasely (sp?), etc.  ? who will we have to let go ?

 

We might play Sophie's choice with Ryan. He gets the extension but we ask him to determine between Matthews and Levitre who he needs more.

Matthews is good not great, but the Jaguars, Chiefs and Giants are proof that not even highly drafted LTs are a sure thing.

Julio is seemingly a Falcon For Life , but he has been dealing with foot injuries to a somewhat alarming degree.

We have a lot of money that will be due on this young d in the coming years, with Vic's 100 million dollar contract as the beginning.

Better to get ready a year early rather than a year late.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, boss said:

Honestly I hope they don't resign him I would let him become a FA and test his value not a freeman fan I think he's overated by most on this board.

Freeman is a beast and im very unbiased... 2x pro bowler perfect for our offense and runs hard... He is far from overrated...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cap is a constant balancing act of Signing/Re-signing Free Agents, releasing/extending current players whose salaries are no longer deemed to match their value to the team, and drafting new players on rookie contracts. 

Managing and balancing all thee, and well, is a large part of what allows a great team to stay great.

How can we resign all these players? Easily

We just have to manage the cap appropriately, but you never really run out of cap space per se.

papachaz, falconsd56 and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, FalconAge said:

We might play Sophie's choice with Ryan. He gets the extension but we ask him to determine between Matthews and Levitre who he needs more.

Matthews is good not great, but the Jaguars, Chiefs and Giants are proof that not even highly drafted LTs are a sure thing.

Julio is seemingly a Falcon For Life , but he has been dealing with foot injuries to a somewhat alarming degree.

We have a lot of money that will be due on this young d in the coming years, with Vic's 100 million dollar contract as the beginning.

Better to get ready a year early rather than a year late.

I'm sure after Freeman , TD has in mind a LT cap friendly contract for ICE MAN. It's been stated late last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Krosis said:

The key is going to be to keep drafting well and keep getting starters out of the draft, that way we have starters for four years for cheap.

Agreed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, boss said:

Honestly I hope they don't resign him I would let him become a FA and test his value not a freeman fan I think he's overated by most on this board.

Every Falcon player is overrated by some Falcon fan. All except Julio it seems. Interesting 

papachaz and falconsd56 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, youngbloodz said:

Every Falcon player is overrated by some Falcon fan. All except Julio it seems. Interesting 

Julio is #1 in the league. Freeman isn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Free's deal gets done Oct/Nov time-frame as indicated by TD most, or all, of the cap hit will probably be deferred until next year and beyond.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FalconAge said:

We might play Sophie's choice with Ryan. He gets the extension but we ask him to determine between Matthews and Levitre who he needs more.

LT is still the more important position and harder to find a good LT. Also, he's a good amount younger, so the choice should be easy. 

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sipifalcon said:

Freeman is a beast and im very unbiased... 2x pro bowler perfect for our offense and runs hard... He is far from overrated...

2135 yards on 492 carries 4.3 ypc 22 TDs along with 127 catches for 1040 yards 8.1 ypc and 5 TDs while splitting carries is over-rated these days?

citsalp, Falcon918, Statick and 5 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cap is rising at an incredible rate these days and as long as the NFL keeps bringing in billions of dollars it will continue to rise at a rapid rate. That's one thing that folks on this message board seem to ignore when they start getting concerned about not being able to afford this player or that player.

  • 2011 - $120M
  • 2012 - $120.6M
  • 2013 - $123M
  • 2014 - $133M
  • 2015 - $143.28M
  • 2016 - $155.27M
  • 2017 - $167M

Look at how much it's gone up in just the last 5 years. It's increased nearly $50M, so on roughly around $9M per season. So we can realistically say that the 2018 cap will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $176M. It may be more than that, it's based on how much revenue the NFL generates each year.

So before anyone starts complaining about not being able to afford player X, Y, Z, take a minute and figure out where the Falcons cap situation is for the upcoming season and then factor in how much the cap will rise. The Falcons are in a great financial situation right now and they're gonna have some dead money coming off the books after the 2017 season as well.

LordJulio, papachaz, Statick and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brewman said:

If Free's deal gets done Oct/Nov time-frame as indicated by TD most, or all, of the cap hit will probably be deferred until next year and beyond.

According to what I saw on NFL Network last night,  Dimitroff wants to get Freeman's deal done by training camp.

Shelley#37 and slick0ne like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FalconAge said:

Matthews is good not great

Agreed. Do you think he is worthy of the #6 pick?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

Agreed. Do you think he is worthy of the #6 pick?

2017 is a big year for Jake Matthews. He either plays up to his potential or he probably walks and the Falcons look for a replacement. So far he's been extremely inconsistent and well, at times, quite frankly not very good. Just my honest opinion about it.

PK Manley and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

The cap is rising at an incredible rate these days and as long as the NFL keeps bringing in billions of dollars it will continue to rise at a rapid rate. That's one thing that folks on this message board seem to ignore when they start getting concerned about not being able to afford this player or that player.

  • 2011 - $120M
  • 2012 - $120.6M
  • 2013 - $123M
  • 2014 - $133M
  • 2015 - $143.28M
  • 2016 - $155.27M
  • 2017 - $167M

Look at how much it's gone up in just the last 5 years. It's increased nearly $50M, so on roughly around $9M per season. So we can realistically say that the 2018 cap will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $176M. It may be more than that, it's based on how much revenue the NFL generates each year.

So before anyone starts complaining about not being able to afford player X, Y, Z, take a minute and figure out where the Falcons cap situation is for the upcoming season and then factor in how much the cap will rise. The Falcons are in a great financial situation right now and they're gonna have some dead money coming off the books after the 2017 season as well.

That is counter-acted to a large extent by the mandatory spending minimum for teams. This leads to mediocre players being overpaid by talent-deprived teams, and actual stars point to these less-talented peers during negotitations for their own deals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

2017 is a big year for Jake Matthews. He either plays up to his potential or he probably walks and the Falcons look for a replacement. So far he's been extremely inconsistent and well, at times, quite frankly not very good. Just my honest opinion about it.

I agree with a lot of your post, except that they need to decide on his fifth year option for 2018 this offseason.  I think they will probably pick up his option, but it will be a big year for him to show that he can take that next step forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now