SacFalcFan

United Passenger Dragged From Overbooked Flight.

183 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Flip Flop said:

Was it United Airlines employees who dragged the man off of the plane or was it airport police?  The article that JDave posted makes it sound like airport police were the actors.  That doesn't change the fact that United had ample opportunity to resolve the situation without police.  I just wonder how a lawsuit would proceed in this situiation.  If Chicago Police were the one who beat the man up, then United would not be responsible for the violence, would they?

They would be responsible for not following federal regulations, which precipitated the incident. 

7 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

They would be responsible for not following federal regulations, which precipitated the incident. 

What are the regulations 

Just now, Flip Flop said:

What are the regulations 

Trout posted them earlier in the thread. The airlines are required to offer up to $1350 in compensation. They only offered $800 with no takers before they decided it was time to bust heads. 

1 minute ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Trout posted them earlier in the thread. The airlines are required to offer up to $1350 in compensation. They only offered $800 with no takers before they decided it was time to bust heads. 

They are also required to give written notice of the passenger's rights and the amount of compensation they are owed.  That also didn't happen, according to all of the reports.

Gritzblitz 2.0 likes this

1 hour ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

What makes me mad is that I train in Brazilian jiu-jitsu and I have gotten my *** kicked worse than that routinely and had to pay for the privilege. 

Warning: some language:

Posted (edited)

I bet the decision tree about how much to offer a passenger to give up a seat changes going forward.  Im pretty sure they could have given someone on that plane ten million dollars and Super-Duper-One-Of-Kind frequent flyer status for life and come out way ahead.

Edited by Flip Flop

On 4/12/2017 at 8:24 AM, lostone said:

This dude is about to have two constant streams of income and not have to work at all.

yep he is going to be making some $$$ off of this.  he had a concussion, broken nose, and broken teeth from the altercation.  it was very good press conference today.  that attorney did a good job handling the questions. 

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/04/13/united-doctor-suffered-concussion-while-being-dragged-from-flight-lawyer-says.html

jdave, that was a great article you posted.   

On 4/12/2017 at 10:53 AM, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Absolutely correct.

If I saw that noone was taking at $800, I would have immediately chimed in with, "Make it $1000 and we have a deal!"

1 hour ago, Statick said:

Absolutely correct.

If I saw that noone was taking at $800, I would have immediately chimed in with, "Make it $1000 and we have a deal!"

And that wouldn't be $1000 cash. It would be a voucher. Many times that doesn't even come close to covering the inconvenience. 

18 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

And that wouldn't be $1000 cash. It would be a voucher. Many times that doesn't even come close to covering the inconvenience. 

Goddammit.

On 4/12/2017 at 10:54 AM, Leon Troutsky said:

They are also required to give written notice of the passenger's rights and the amount of compensation they are owed.  That also didn't happen, according to all of the reports.

My guess is that written notice is given when you purchase the flight.

On 4/12/2017 at 10:41 AM, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Do we know that for a fact?  They offered $800 for people voluntarily giving up their seat, which is legal.  Do we know what the ones randomly chosen were actually given?