MagnusXXIII

Myth - The Falcons were successful because injuries were avoided

30 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The difference between last year and past years was that the O-line went 80 for 80 in starts. In past years half the O-line was injured by week 4. I'm not in any way saying we didn't overcome injuries because we did, but the O-line being healthy was crucial to last years success.

Edited by Drew4719

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Drew4719 said:

The difference between last year and past years was that the O-line went 80 for 80 in starts. In past years half the O-line was injured by week 4. I'm not in any way saying we didn't overcome injuries because we did, but the O-line being healthy was crucial to last years success.

Double-edged sword because they played the Superbowl barely able to move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

Good point, but we did loose die to injury. At least that's my claim

yep. Chester was the only healthy lineman during the Super Bowl, then Coleman went down too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MagnusXXIII said:

Double-edged sword because they played the Superbowl barely able to move.

I know, it was very painful to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deep, with well coached scheme fits. That's the key. Everyone on the roster can step up and play the position they are on the roster to play. That's what we didn't have before. Depth guys were ST only guys, not guys who could actually play offense/defense if need be. Made no sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MagnusXXIII said:

Double-edged sword because they played the Superbowl barely able to move.

That's chiefs loss was a big one in more ways than one..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Drew4719 said:

The difference between last year and past years was that the O-line went 80 for 80 in starts. In past years half the O-line was injured by week 4. I'm not in any way saying we didn't overcome injuries because we did, but the O-line being healthy was crucial to last years success.

Yeah, the injuries mentioned were important and somewhat difficult to overcome but I have always said the most important groups to keep healthy is your O-line especially when you are an offensively based team. Along with the QB. 

Tim Mazetti likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The big difference when it came to injuries this past season was depth. Losing Tru should have crippled our D instead we had Poole and Collins to make it up. Some with Hooper for Tamme. Of course luck ran out in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl with everyone worn out.

MagnusXXIII and toadfishtom like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2017 at 10:02 PM, MagnusXXIII said:

Double-edged sword because they played the Superbowl barely able to move.

We would have blown Patriots out if our OL was healthy. Our 3 very best OL were so hobbled they could hardly play. We couldn't get our running game going full speed and then when our 3 injured OL came back all stiff after halftime the couldn't pass protect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2017 at 9:31 PM, MagnusXXIII said:

Trufant, Tamme, Spoon, Clayborn, Shelby, Ishmael, Robinson. Significant time from Julio, Campbell, Collins (suspension), Coleman.

What the Falcons proved is that they now have depth. Not that they were "lucky".

 

 

Finally someone said it.

MagnusXXIII likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know full and well if Mack was IR'd like Kalil, we'd be watching the Bucs in the playoffs. 

Where you did get injured, you had admirable depth in. That comes with preparation, but also luck in the case your weakest links were not affected. Can't deny that.

Yes, you have quality depth at certain positions, but you were also lucky to avoid injuries at places you have less than stellar depth in. I think it's more than warranted to say you were lucky last season.

rugger8 and Tim Mazetti like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started this because the Falcoholic was trying to predict why the Falcons could take a step back (although not like Carolina).

What people forget is that the Falcons should have been at least 14-2 last season.

Unlike Carolina, who should have been 11-5 in their Superbowl run.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neal also missed some time.

We had our injuries, like every team, but having the same 5 OL healthy all year was a big reason for our success IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SamMills51 said:

You know full and well if Mack was IR'd like Kalil, we'd be watching the Bucs in the playoffs. 

Where you did get injured, you had admirable depth in. That comes with preparation, but also luck in the case your weakest links were not affected. Can't deny that.

Yes, you have quality depth at certain positions, but you were also lucky to avoid injuries at places you have less than stellar depth in. I think it's more than warranted to say you were lucky last season.

I'll happily take lucky. Lol In this case I'll take being pretty dang good too. Seriously though the Falcons were no more lucky than anybody else who had a decent season last year.  They even had what would've almost unanimously been regarded as their best defensive player go on ir right at the heart of their season with Trufant's injury. Had that happened with Norman the year before I think we all know how it would've played out for the Panthers.   At one point we had all of our starting true linebackers not playing and still looked decent somehow.   We saw an astonishing amount of snaps played by a crazy amount of rookies.... Atlanta earned their keep last year.  No doubt about it.  

 

The best part about all of it is that between our youth and talent,  it's all a sustainable model with a very nice window opening up for us.  We don't have to worry about our qb falling off a cliff even if he doesn't replicate his mvp numbers.  

 

Consistently accurate qb with great decision making etc.... Plenty of weapons and a great scheme/o line around that qb. A very young freakishly fast defense. Not only that but the entire team is hungry,  humble and very cohesive.  

Is good ol Red Lightning still around Flowery Branch these days?  If so everything kinda makes sense.  Maybe he's finally the  token good luck charm he was brought in to be. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2017 at 8:45 AM, Jesus said:

The big difference when it came to injuries this past season was depth. Losing Tru should have crippled our D instead we had Poole and Collins to make it up. Some with Hooper for Tamme. Of course luck ran out in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl with everyone worn out.

We're finally seeing our depth coming together. Definitely got us to the SB. With the injuries and the youth, last season's run to the SB really showed what a quantum leap forward has been made in the over all talent level of this team.

With Poe and Crawford already added to the mix and more pass rushers/play-makers expected in the draft, Quinn and the FO laying the groundwork to take total control of the 4th quarter at SB LII.

gazoo and Tim Mazetti like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2017 at 0:52 AM, MagnusXXIII said:

I started this because the Falcoholic was trying to predict why the Falcons could take a step back (although not like Carolina).

What people forget is that the Falcons should have been at least 14-2 last season.

Unlike Carolina, who should have been 11-5 in their Superbowl run.

 

Also, we had hardest schedule in NFL last year and Panthers had easiest schedule year before.

Atlfanstckndenver likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2017 at 9:56 PM, The O.D.B said:

Good point, but we did loose die to injury. At least that's my claim

I didn;t know Shan was injured. Makes sense now, he must have had a concussion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

I didn;t know Shan was injured. Makes sense now, he must have had a concussion

I would've guess SIRCI disease (Sporadic Instantaneous Rectal Cranial Insertion)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now