FentayeJones

Andy Benoit tweets on Falcons defense

18 posts in this topic

Quinn openly covets size, speed & toughness. Jarrett and Poe check all the boxes and even add some extra credit.  Those 2 could easily combine for 16 sacks or more along the interior.  Is it September yet?

5 hours ago, tl;dr said:

This guy gets it. I'm super excited to see the defense next year

ya cuz he studies film unlike the haters

tl;dr likes this

Posted (edited)

We need one more DT via draft or after cuts. Babs spot has not been filled. 

Not to sure of Crawford kicking inside on goal line situations. Or if Grady, Hags, or Poe goes down then we only have 2 DT's true DT's that is worth a salt.

Quinn will sort it out. He always does

Edited by GleasonForever!

11 minutes ago, GleasonForever! said:

Not to sure of Crawford kicking inside on goal line situations. Or if Grady, Hags, or Poe goes down then we only have 2 DT's true DT's that is worth a salt.

Grady Jarrett I would have thought would more than adequately fill that spot.

To me DT isn't an issue really I look at what we have there's a lot of depth and versatility there in all the players we have upfront.

6 hours ago, tl;dr said:

This guy gets it. I'm super excited to see the defense next year

We ended up around 25th in overall defensive stats last season. I will be very surprised if we don't break into the Top 10 this season in all the major stat categories.

2 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Grady Jarrett I would have thought would more than adequately fill that spot.

To me DT isn't an issue really I look at what we have there's a lot of depth and versatility there in all the players we have upfront.

I meant the roster spot is not filled. Based on out numbers from last year we need to replace Wheeler, Babs, and Freeney's spot on the line. 

Poe took Jaxson spot 

Babs? 

You could say Crawford took Freeny's spot because he is a DE. However Babs is not filled. I don't think any team in the league carries only 3 true DT's on the 53 man. I may be wrong though. 

turnerdburner likes this

This could be the year where the defense puts it altogether in a way we have not seen since th 98 team that went to SB - and these guys are more talented and YOUNGER!

Benoit is right though - Falcons absolutely MUST get a passrusher - and I don't think they **** around - they are taking there guy at #31.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, GleasonForever! said:

1 hour ago, GleasonForever! said:

I meant the roster spot is not filled. Based on out numbers from last year we need to replace Wheeler, Babs, and Freeney's spot on the line. 

Poe took Jaxson spot 

Babs? 

You could say Crawford took Freeny's spot because he is a DE. However Babs is not filled. I don't think any team in the league carries only 3 true DT's on the 53 man. I may be wrong though. 

As someone else recently said, I think there is a 0% chance we draft an interior DL this year. Only if a ridiculous value falls to us in the draft would it make any sense.

Babs spot has definitely been filled. We lost Jackson and Babs, and added Poe and Crawford. We also get back Shelby and Clayborn.

It's been pointed out to you numerous times we have more than three true DTs. Poe, Jarrett, Hageman, and Upshaw are all true DT body types. And we play nickel 70% of the time anyway, where the smaller DE/DT hybrids are more valuable anyway.

The spot that hasn't been filled is the pure edge rusher role that Freeney occupied last year. Crawford didn't rake his place. He's the big DE/Nickel DT hybrid type.

Edited by RandomFan
kiwifalcon, Drew4719, g-dawg and 1 other like this

4 hours ago, mtldirtybird said:

ya cuz he studies film unlike the haters

People know more about the Falcons now because they were playing through to the last week of the season.

2 hours ago, RandomFan said:

As someone else recently said, I think there is a 0% chance we draft an interior DL this year. Only if a ridiculous value falls to us in the draft would it make any sense.

Babs spot has definitely been filled. We lost Jackson and Babs, and added Poe and Crawford. We also get back Shelby and Clayborn.

It's been pointed out to you numerous times we have more than three true DTs. Poe, Jarrett, Hageman, and Upshaw are all true DT body types. And we play nickel 70% of the time anyway, where the smaller DE/DT hybrids are more valuable anyway.

The spot that hasn't been filled is the pure edge rusher role that Freeney occupied last year. Crawford didn't rake his place. He's the big DE/Nickel DT hybrid type.

I wouldn't say there is 0 chance because they have met with interior guys this off season. Wormly and Tomlinson to be exact. I have learned that you never know exactly what Quinn and crew would do on draft day. Most of the board for sure thought we would go pass rusher in the first last year and DT in first 4 rounds. What happened? We didn't draft a single D lineman last year. Most including myself were shocked. So I say never say never. The draft will be interesting to watch. Keep in mind Grady is the only DT under contract next year. 

Poe

Hageman

Upshaw

are all FA's 

Kung-Pow likes this

7 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

We ended up around 25th in overall defensive stats last season. I will be very surprised if we don't break into the Top 10 this season in all the major stat categories.

Please!!! That would be awesome! 

PokerSteve likes this