Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carter

April 2017 UGA Recruiting Thread

168 posts in this topic

We r going to have to sign a few avg qbs- that hopefully never do anything but mop up and provide depth-

55 minutes ago, LawDawg said:

What I can't wrap my head around is this: With arguably the top 3 QBs in the nation in this state (btw, I don't remember the last time Georgia had this many elite QB prospects at one time), and only 2 scholarship QBs on the current roster, how the fudge did we miss out on all of them?? Not to mention that all 3 committed to their respective schools early on in the process. 

I blame this squarely on John Candy. These kids know that if you come to Georgia and Chaney is your OC, you'll be nothing but a mediocre QB stuck in a mediocre offense. At least, that's what I imagine they've been told. And it may be true.

Blame it on Chaney all you want, but I don't see that as fair.

What we did was put all of our eggs in the Lawrence basket.

Emory Jones has been clear that we've barely recruited him, even from the start. While he had an offer, we really never saw him as a viable option.

Then, you have Fields, who we didn't even offer till a couple weeks before Lawrence committed to Clemson, which honestly, may very well have been b/c we saw that coming. By that point, he had been being recruited by PSU since the previous July, and had visited them multiple times. Sure we finally offered him after a November visit, but he had also recently had yet another PSU visit just beforehand. I've seen more than one person compare this to the Deshaun Watson situation with Richt and I can see why. I mean, with Lawrence, you obviously had a shot, but his family was never huge on UGA. In fact they were UT fans. With Fields though, you had a family full of Dawgs fans, with a sister heading to UGA, who all, by even their own admission, would have loved to have pushed Justin to UGA as well. By the time that we offered though, his mind was already made up, and even though we were the home school, it ain't hard to believe that how long we waited, and how much we had tunnel vision for Lawrence, and only offered when it looked like he was lost, doesn't still weigh on him.

Basically, there's plenty to hate on Chaney for, but I put this more on Kirby. I mean, if you really aren't interested in Jones, fine, but Fields should've been offered waaaay sooner.

12 hours ago, VA F.O. said:

All the recent word is that Milton is about to commit to Michigan. Everyone just about has put in their CB, including the one who chose us originally. 

yeah they lost robinson to ucla so they then turned their attention milton which looks like that is where he is going to go unfortunately.  

17 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

everything i have heard for a while was we were in good shape for cox and until i hear otherwise i believe we get him.  if we don't get him that's a big blow instate and really makes it even tougher to get ourselves the MO we need.  

Ugh!

Not looking good. Kipp = OSU, Jake = OSU, Rusty changed to foggy...

We lose him it's going to be a gut punch...

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Brenton-Cox-at-Stockbridge-177661/CurrentExpertPredictions

4 hours ago, 95Dawg said:

Ugh!

Not looking good. Kipp = OSU, Jake = OSU, Rusty changed to foggy...

We lose him it's going to be a gut punch...

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/Brenton-Cox-at-Stockbridge-177661/CurrentExpertPredictions

like i said if we lose out on Cox it's a big blow instate.. he was the one big target that we needed on defense in the state and we were in good shape at one time.  if it's true that he is picking ohio state i have to just say wow.. 

1 hour ago, SacFalcFan said:

like i said if we lose out on Cox it's a big blow instate.. he was the one big target that we needed on defense in the state and we were in good shape at one time.  if it's true that he is picking ohio state i have to just say wow.. 

Welp Wow.  

What the heck has happened since NSD. I thought Cox was a strong lean just a short time ago. 

tenor.gif

13 hours ago, TheTrue7 said:

That right there will do wonders.. 

Yes, it will... but we are not going to have 15 guys flip to us just because we win some games. We would be very fortunate to have even a top 10 class for 2018.

7 minutes ago, Carter said:

Yes, it will... but we are not going to have 15 guys flip to us just because we win some games. We would be very fortunate to have even a top 10 class for 2018.

I just feel it's a little early to be "worried" about 2018 recruits.. I know you guys are the experts, but I trust the coaches to recruit.. this is what most of them were known for.. being great recruiters.. 

16 minutes ago, Carter said:

This means Ezzard is highly unlikely as well.

so it's the best for cox to leave the state and end up in ohio.. lolol.. right dude.. urban meyer is such a POS.  we aren't getting his teammate.  

13 minutes ago, Carter said:

yeah the winning on the field is nice to say and all, but no that's not going to salvage this 2018 recruiting class.  there are some kids who are probably waiting to see how we do, but if we win on the field we will flip a few guys, but not enough to make a huge impact overall.  we are going to need to work our tails off and get some momentum this summer.  that's the only way and then get a few flips if we win, but understand winning on the field really affects the next class (2019) than he does the current class.  i have been following recruiting for over 3 decades and i haven't seen such a bad start in my entire life.  that's not hyperbole either, this is the worst i have seen a start to a class.  that doesn't mean we can't get momentum and finish with a top 10, but the odds are not in our favor.. 12 of the top 23 are committed elsewhere instate.  something is going on and guys who are usually very confident i know are very concerned and when a guy like bulldog bob is concerned and he says so publicly that means a lot.  

16 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

so it's the best for cox to leave the state and end up in ohio.. lolol.. right dude.. urban meyer is such a POS.  we aren't getting his teammate.  

I have it from an excellent source that money swapped hands on the Monday visit.... Take it for what it's worth.

12 hours ago, itsjustafleshwound said:

I have it from an excellent source that money swapped hands on the Monday visit.... Take it for what it's worth.

critdawg pretty much says it all:  Family full of uga fans and lead for 6 months. Gone with two visits.

yeah urban meyer is a POS and has the booster support to come in and help him get the kids he wants.. see 5 star parsons.  if they don't get him i would be surprised.. i know i talked to a few penn state guys and james franklin was livid.  he knows what happened with parsons.  we need our boosters to give kirby more support.  

It is amazing, North Carolina and Ohio St buy players, make up degrees and UGA buys cream cheese for a bagel for a recruit and they come after us.  Talk about hypocrisy.     

Porter Osborne Jr likes this

rusty commented on this on his board, but they have been throwing out a lot of offers and he has never seen so many offers from UGA being sent out. 

Crazy stat - end of 2017 cycle, Georgia offered 213 prospects to sign 26. They have already offered 234 prospects here in late April for a likely 24-person class.

2 hours ago, TheTrue7 said:

I just feel it's a little early to be "worried" about 2018 recruits.. I know you guys are the experts, but I trust the coaches to recruit.. this is what most of them were known for.. being great recruiters.. 

I'm no expert man, I just have a decent filter for information. I certainly don't panic easily... I'm level headed af most of the time lol. You can trust the coaches, but regardless of our reaction the situation is bad - objectively bad. True insiders are concerned with what's going on and the staffers who cover it professionally are as well.

The next big commit we have to look forward to is at the end of June I believe, unless we get a surprise. There was word of a few guys at G Day telling the coaches they're coming and just need to decide when they want to announce... but that isn't going to comfort anyone. We let up on Mascoll because we thought Anderson and Cox were solid. We have slow played a lot of guys as Sac has already said and it's biting us. We can't expect anything to work out at this point.

These guys are great recruiters and I don't expect them to do anything other than grind it out on the trail, but every cycle is a new game and this staff is getting schooled right now with other coaches exploiting the decisions they've made thus far. There are only so many great players to go around and they are committing early this year.

2 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

yeah the winning on the field is nice to say and all, but no that's not going to salvage this 2018 recruiting class.  there are some kids who are probably waiting to see how we do, but if we win on the field we will flip a few guys, but not enough to make a huge impact overall.  we are going to need to work our tails off and get some momentum this summer.  that's the only way and then get a few flips if we win, but understand winning on the field really affects the next class (2019) than he does the current class.  i have been following recruiting for over 3 decades and i haven't seen such a bad start in my entire life.  that's not hyperbole either, this is the worst i have seen a start to a class.  that doesn't mean we can't get momentum and finish with a top 10, but the odds are not in our favor.. 12 of the top 23 are committed elsewhere instate.  something is going on and guys who are usually very confident i know are very concerned and when a guy like bulldog bob is concerned and he says so publicly that means a lot.  

Yeah we have touched on a lot of these points and now the beast is really rearing its head around. Winning is going to be very important, but it's not going to work a miracle on this class. 2019 may even be in jeopardy with these guys all suddenly loving FSU. I love the content Murf provides over there, but with his connection to Kenyatta I didn't think it was a coincidence for him to mention FSU possibly being a big factor when he did.

I'm not freaking out but this class is in real trouble. Josh Vann and Trey Dean will be great players. Hopefully Zeus, Salyer, and Hill give us some great news. Wouldn't mind adding Tyreke Johnson but who knows on that one. OLB is a big concern and I just don't see what we are going to do about it in this class.

I had decided some time ago, that Cox was kinda my breaking point. I'm moving from optimism to full on apathy as pertains to this class. I'm assuming it's bad until proven otherwise.

There's no reason for me to keep getting excited only to immediately get kicked in the ***.

I'm not going to completely count out Cox eventually ending up with UGA, but it's unlikely. Ohio State is pretty loaded at his position and, while we have some players, our depth chart at OLB is basically wide open after this year and it is a critical need. Which makes it all the more frustrating that all these guys (Anderson, Cox, Parsons, Henry, Mascoll, etc) are looking to go elsewhere.

18 minutes ago, mike teevee said:

giphy.gif

lolol.. that's a very appropriate gif.. ha

1 hour ago, VA F.O. said:

I had decided some time ago, that Cox was kinda my breaking point. I'm moving from optimism to full on apathy as pertains to this class. I'm assuming it's bad until proven otherwise.

There's no reason for me to keep getting excited only to immediately get kicked in the ***.

well cox isn't a done deal.  cox told ohio state and uga in the past week he was going to commit to them.  i hope we get whatever support we need to flip cox.  he is pretty impt to this class imo.  yeah this 2018 class is going to be real interesting to see where we end up.  we will take between 23 to 25 this class so the camps we have will be very important to find some diamonds out there if we are going to get over the 20 mark. 

9 hours ago, Carter said:

Yeah we have touched on a lot of these points and now the beast is really rearing its head around. Winning is going to be very important, but it's not going to work a miracle on this class. 2019 may even be in jeopardy with these guys all suddenly loving FSU. I love the content Murf provides over there, but with his connection to Kenyatta I didn't think it was a coincidence for him to mention FSU possibly being a big factor when he did.

I'm not freaking out but this class is in real trouble. Josh Vann and Trey Dean will be great players. Hopefully Zeus, Salyer, and Hill give us some great news. Wouldn't mind adding Tyreke Johnson but who knows on that one. OLB is a big concern and I just don't see what we are going to do about it in this class.

agree on the above.  yeah watson's dad is going to be a thorn in our side.  he is working on our 2019 commits trying to get to get them to flip to fsu.  he also is going to deliver 5 to 6 grayson kids the next 2 years.  the guy is a slimeball who is a wannabe street agent with his hand out.  murf i have some big issues with as well.  he is covering uga recruiting and yet visiting with recruits to fsu and clemson campuses and even had some recruiting for fsu tweets.  i believe watson is having an impact on the 2018 class.  he is trying to show his muscle and get back to uga for not hiring him.  

agree there are still some bigtime offensive talent we are in on and will hopefully get.  we need the two bigtime guards and zeus at rb.  the defensive side is a big question mark.  tyreke johnson that ship has sailed.  i really wonder if kevin sherrer is in some trouble.  he has whiffed on a lot of guys this class so far and slow played or ignored others that would be solid pickups.  kevin isn't holding up his end of the recruiting equation up to this point. 

12 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

critdawg pretty much says it all:  Family full of uga fans and lead for 6 months. Gone with two visits.

Related image

SacFalcFan likes this