Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carter

April 2017 UGA Recruiting Thread

168 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, TheTrue7 said:

I understand, but it's not totally out of the realm of possibilities is all I'm saying.. 

Agreed.  Odds are that it does not look good, but we have definitely see very highly recruited players in the past do this very same thing and then right before signing day flip back to their original team/place they want to play most.  Strategy to get their friends(not that Chatman isn't a stud, I would be more than fine with him on UGA roster) the best opportunity possible.  Then they flip back right before signing day and it is too late for the said other team to drop their buds as well and everyone gets what they want.

NOT saying at all that this is what Anderson is doing, just saying it does happen here and there.

That being said, we need to offer Chatman.  Regardless of Anderson, Chatman is going to be beast wherever he goes. 

TheTrue7 likes this

We need sign 2 qbs this class- should be the full court press.. zamir has to pick uga and that will help with momentum.. 

On 4/22/2017 at 6:50 PM, VA F.O. said:

We have got to get back to basics here. This whole recruiting cycle imo, has screamed of arrogance. Like, we think that we're big **** now, and we can just take whoever we want, and just ignore these low ranked but talented GA prospects, in favor of the more highly recruited out of state players. 

I seem to recall that when Kirby came in, the push was to shutdown GA, to make UGA the school for UGA players to come, stay in state, play in state, and win a championship in state. Now we're, only one year in, getting away from that, and betraying a lot of the in state talent, and it's coming back to bite us.

You know, the day may come, when we can be Alabama, or Ohio St, and care less about in state talent, and just go around getting whoever we want, but one top 3 recruiting class doesn't do that. That is built over time, and done when you show that you are a consistent winner. We're not there yet.

There are plenty of kids in state that want to, and like the idea of playing for the home team. They may not get you the #1 class, but if you start winning, that too will come in time.

agree with a lot of what you said.. we can't recruit like bama because we are not bama.. that's one thing that kirby can do when we have that on the field success, but we haven't had that yet.  the current staff is still learning and have made some poor mistakes. losing wray due to what pittman said can be overcome, but still an issue.  not handling the adam anderson situation correctly is a failure by kirby.  adam anderson was clear with all staff's the importance of griffin in where he and chatman would end up..  griffin is good enough to play in the sec as is chatman.  we will recover, but it was clear heading into this recruiting cycle that the 2018 class would be a struggle, but our staff have made it even tougher with some of their decisions and actions that have hurt us.  if we have a great season on the field then we will be able to overcome the negative recruiting which has been pretty effective. unless something crazy happens we should get a bigtime rb commit so that will help us with some momentum, but the bottom line we need to show a lot on the field this season to prove this staff can coach. 

46 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

agree with a lot of what you said.. we can't recruit like bama because we are not bama.. that's one thing that kirby can do when we have that on the field success, but we haven't had that yet.  the current staff is still learning and have made some poor mistakes. losing wray due to what pittman said can be overcome, but still an issue.  not handling the adam anderson situation correctly is a failure by kirby.  we will recover, but it was clear heading into this recruiting cycle that the 2018 class would be a struggle, but our staff have made it even tougher with some of their decisions and actions that have hurt us.  if we have a great season on the field then we will be able to overcome the negative recruiting which has been pretty effective. unless something crazy happens we should get a bigtime rb commit so that will help us with some momentum, but the bottom line we need to show a lot on the field this season to prove this staff can coach. 

I agree

526b73f3454398f35d68e835a07bc012.gif

So Micah Parsons just decommited from Penn State. Did he happen to be at Gday? 

parsons has visited recently, but wasn't at G-Day.  right now i would predict he ends up at ohio state. 

comment from rusty... 

Not sugar coating one thing about recruiting right now. It is not going well currently. Yesterday did not hurt UGA any with some guys just off early talks I am having. One thing right now that is different is the amount of kids that are not announcing early. Brenton Cox likely deciding this week at some point. Zamir White will decide late June. Then guys like Trey Dean (Maybe June), Joe Milton (Maybe soon). Then guys like Mike Harris, Jamaree Salyer, Trey Hill, Marquez Ezzard, Teradja Mitchell etc are not making early decisions.

This class is so frustrating. Hopefully we get some good news with Cox and get guys like Micah Parsons and KJ Henry to keep looking our way. Ohio State and Clemson seem most likely for them.

No idea how this class is going to end up.

Brenton Cox is committing this week.  We have to get him.  We can't lose him to ohio state.  

from buckeye site...

RB Zamir White: Heard from a source over the weekend that this was a "done deal" for Georgia after his spring game visit there. Of course we know there's no such thing as a lock in recruiting, but it seems that after the great OSU visit last weekend, that the Dawgs one-upped it this weekend. I have my CB sitting on Georgia right now for Zamir White.

2 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

from buckeye site...

RB Zamir White: Heard from a source over the weekend that this was a "done deal" for Georgia after his spring game visit there. Of course we know there's no such thing as a lock in recruiting, but it seems that after the great OSU visit last weekend, that the Dawgs one-upped it this weekend. I have my CB sitting on Georgia right now for Zamir White.

Bam.gif

Carter and Porter Osborne Jr like this

On 4/22/2017 at 9:15 PM, TheTrue7 said:

I'm just wondering.. have any of these kids in the 2018 class actually signed a LOI yet? So why is everyone so worried? Until they sign the dotted line, aren't they still up for grabs?

Worry is something that you do about the future. It makes perfect sense for us to worry right now.

You don't worry after they've signed their LOI. At that point, you just sulk.

59 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

from buckeye site...

I said before that White came across to me as a straight shooter. Him and Lawrence were both the kind of kids that really weren't being swayed in recruiting or "enjoying the process." They intelligently and diligently looked at their options and made an informed decision, and once made, will stick with it imo.

With Lawrence the result is a failure on our part, and we're probably never getting him back as a result, while with White, assuming this type of attitude in him, once he commits to us, he ain't gonna waiver.

95Dawg likes this

1 hour ago, SacFalcFan said:

from buckeye site...

If we sign White, do you think that gives us a sizable boost with Hill and Salyer?

Also, with Pierce starting to get cold feet with Bama, any chance we sign White and Pierce?

To me, it's not time to hit the panic button until Zeus commits. If he commits to UGA, I think we clean up with some great offensive line prospects and I think he generates the momentum we need. Then, a good season will bring in a good few more. Zeus is likely going to be the center piece, but so long as some guys like Salyer join him, I'm good.

9 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

Brenton Cox is committing this week.  We have to get him.  We can't lose him to ohio state.  

If we lost Cox to Ohio State, I'd be willing to offer the three Rome boys plus anyone else they wanted. We need to pick up at least one elite pass rusher a year.

95Dawg likes this

1 hour ago, VA F.O. said:

Worry is something that you do about the future. It makes perfect sense for us to worry right now.

You don't worry after they've signed their LOI. At that point, you just sulk.

We've got different views on this..

34 minutes ago, itsjustafleshwound said:

If we lost Cox to Ohio State, I'd be willing to offer the three Rome boys plus anyone else they wanted. We need to pick up at least one elite pass rusher a year.

everything i have heard for a while was we were in good shape for cox and until i hear otherwise i believe we get him.  if we don't get him that's a big blow instate and really makes it even tougher to get ourselves the MO we need.  

1 hour ago, itsjustafleshwound said:

If we sign White, do you think that gives us a sizable boost with Hill and Salyer?

Also, with Pierce starting to get cold feet with Bama, any chance we sign White and Pierce?

To me, it's not time to hit the panic button until Zeus commits. If he commits to UGA, I think we clean up with some great offensive line prospects and I think he generates the momentum we need. Then, a good season will bring in a good few more. Zeus is likely going to be the center piece, but so long as some guys like Salyer join him, I'm good.

they know each other and are probably friends, but i don't think getting white has a big affect on hill and salyer.  it won't hurt for sure, but i don't think it's a sizable boost.  hill and salyer i really think goes where ever they want to regardless of what white does. i hope we get both.  we do that and this offensive line will be elite.  

pierce goes to the same high school that kirby smart did and regarding him it was more will we pursue him hard or won't we.  we have slowed played a few guys we shouldn't have.  i hope we put on the full court press and flip him from bama.. they have so many rbs they are after it won't hurt them to lose him.  the key to our 2018 recruiting class is going to be how we do on the field.  right now all of our rivals are doing an effective job of negative recruiting and there are a number of kids who are waiting to see the results on the field before they either jump onboard or flip from their current commitment.  there is reason for concern because right now it's not going very well, but recruiting is always very fluid.  we need to get some MO and we could this week with cox and hopefully milton picks us.. we must get 2 qbs this class.  this qb depth is one of the worst in the nation.  not referring to top tier talent, but to the depth chart.  we need to have at least 4 to 5 qbs on campus. 

All the recent word is that Milton is about to commit to Michigan. Everyone just about has put in their CB, including the one who chose us originally. 

2 hours ago, itsjustafleshwound said:

I've honestly wondered this myself. At very least, I'd say that it's a good selling point for recruiting them.

NFL scouts are going to be at White's school of choice from day 1, watching this kid to see if he's the next big thing. If you're the guy out in front, blocking for him, it makes you look much better, and means the same scouts will be watching you as well.

1 hour ago, SacFalcFan said:

they know each other and are probably friends, but i don't think getting white has a big affect on hill and salyer.  it won't hurt for sure, but i don't think it's a sizable boost.  hill and salyer i really think goes where ever they want to regardless of what white does. i hope we get both.  we do that and this offensive line will be elite.  

pierce goes to the same high school that kirby smart did and regarding him it was more will we pursue him hard or won't we.  we have slowed played a few guys we shouldn't have.  i hope we put on the full court press and flip him from bama.. they have so many rbs they are after it won't hurt them to lose him.  the key to our 2018 recruiting class is going to be how we do on the field.  right now all of our rivals are doing an effective job of negative recruiting and there are a number of kids who are waiting to see the results on the field before they either jump onboard or flip from their current commitment.  there is reason for concern because right now it's not going very well, but recruiting is always very fluid.  we need to get some MO and we could this week with cox and hopefully milton picks us.. we must get 2 qbs this class.  this qb depth is one of the worst in the nation.  not referring to top tier talent, but to the depth chart.  we need to have at least 4 to 5 qbs on campus. 

It is quite ironic that Kirby, who was so effective at recruiting against us, is now having to endure the same. On Hill and Salyer... Is there not any big recruiting effect for offensive linemen to block for two bigtime running backs?

5 hours ago, TheTrue7 said:

We've got different views on this..

It's still early, so I'm going to hold off on worrying... but it is concerning that we are in this situation at this point. You generally don't do well in recruiting without some consistent perception of momentum. That's not to say we need commits lined up every month, there will be lulls, but there is absolutely no feeling of things building toward a very good class. Still plenty of time and a lot of big targets, but we are not perceived to be leading for hardly anyone. Zeus will be a big one. Cox will be great to add if we get him. After that there's a whole lot of uncertainty.

Need to win and have some great games for these guys to visit and be impressed. Our home schedule is garbage so we really need to make sure we impress with wins to show this staff is better than 8 or 9 wins every year and UGA will play for/win some hardware.

5 hours ago, Carter said:

It's still early, so I'm going to hold off on worrying... but it is concerning that we are in this situation at this point. You generally don't do well in recruiting without some consistent perception of momentum. That's not to say we need commits lined up every month, there will be lulls, but there is absolutely no feeling of things building toward a very good class. Still plenty of time and a lot of big targets, but we are not perceived to be leading for hardly anyone. Zeus will be a big one. Cox will be great to add if we get him. After that there's a whole lot of uncertainty.

Need to win and have some great games for these guys to visit and be impressed. Our home schedule is garbage so we really need to make sure we impress with wins to show this staff is better than 8 or 9 wins every year and UGA will play for/win some hardware.

That right there will do wonders.. 

Problem is, a lot of big names are already off the board.  Its not even May, and look at the top 10.  Not that we're a player for all those guys (but we should have been for some), but you get the point.  This year is weird in a few ways. 

Carter likes this

1 hour ago, DawgBone said:

Problem is, a lot of big names are already off the board.  Its not even May, and look at the top 10.  Not that we're a player for all those guys (but we should have been for some), but you get the point.  This year is weird in a few ways. 

What I can't wrap my head around is this: With arguably the top 3 QBs in the nation in this state (btw, I don't remember the last time Georgia had this many elite QB prospects at one time), and only 2 scholarship QBs on the current roster, how the fudge did we miss out on all of them?? Not to mention that all 3 committed to their respective schools early on in the process. 

I blame this squarely on John Candy. These kids know that if you come to Georgia and Chaney is your OC, you'll be nothing but a mediocre QB stuck in a mediocre offense. At least, that's what I imagine they've been told. And it may be true.