g-dawg

Dion Jordan(#3 overall pick by Dolphins) finally cut...

54 posts in this topic

Miami Dolphins waive former No. 3 pick Dion Jordan

• 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL writer
  • Published: March 31, 2017 at 04:19 p.m.
  • Updated: March 31, 2017 at 05:47 p.m.

453329757.0.jpg
The Dion Jordan saga is over in Miami.

The Dolphins waived the former No. 3 overall pick on Friday with a failed physical designation, the team announced. Jordan played in 26 games with one start for the Dolphins, compiling 46 tackles and three sacks.

Jordan missed the past two seasons due to suspensions for violating the NFL's policy on substances of abuse. The move saves Miami $3.2 million in salary cap space.

Asked this week about Miami selecting Jordan in 2013, EVP Mike Tannenbaum -- who wasn't with the franchise when the pick was made -- had the understatement of the year:

"Obviously from where he was selected to today it's not a move that's worked out," he said, via the Palm Beach Post. "It's pretty obvious..."

The Dolphins traded up for the right to select the 6-foot-6, physical freak, viewing him as the needed edge rusher to pair with Cameron Wake.

The Dolphins are still searching for that rush-mate.

As a rookie, Jordan played sparingly, compiling two sacks and 26 tackles as he transitioned to defensive end. The undersized, neophyte pass-rusher looked most comfortable covering in space. But a cover linebacker wasn't the vision Miami had when they traded up to draft Jordan.

Bulking up in the offseason began the string of PED violations that spelled an end to his run in Miami.

Entering his second season, Jordan was suspended for six games. He compiled one sack in 10 appearances.

December 28, 2014, was the last time Jordan stepped on the field for a regular season game for the Dolphins.

1 minute ago, AndySG said:

I mean I would actually like to see it!

vet minimum - 1 year deal - not much to lose - I would try it.   Not clear to me if he is currently under suspension for PEDS or just past violations on his resume' with time served already.

sounds like this guy just cannot hold any weight so he has to cheat to bulk up.

maybe this might luck into a perfect skill set for a perfect scheme set....

probably 90% chance this guy just is not an NFL player - but for that 10% chance, why not?  we know the guy is freak athlete and DQ usually can figure out a way to "feature" them as he is prone to say.

Posted (edited)

Draft experts and people with eyes knew (4-3) Sam LBer coming out was his best position. He was over drafted based on pass rush potential. He wasn't a Pass rusher in college and shouldn't had been drafted that high.

The Dolphins did the worse thing imaginable for him and played him as a 4-3 DE before moving him to LBer. 3-4/4-3 regardless, he needs to be standing up.

He may can play and be a versatile guy on the field, but I don't know that. Yeah I would give him a chance, but I'm sure many teams are thinking that. 1yr deal, $1M tops.

Edited by jeffro2000
IamFRESCO1 likes this

6 minutes ago, Halsey. said:

People get scared about how risky QBs are. How about pass rushers. Big name pass rushers like Jordan bust all the time.

this is very true.....Quentin Groves anyone?

Just now, Halsey. said:

People get scared about how risky QBs are. How about pass rushers. Big name pass rushers like Jordan bust all the time.

There was alot of back and forth discussion on how Miami was misusing DJordan in the past. The question is can we use him the right way and get production.

We need a SAM right? Make it happen. He's good for depth at least 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

As a defensive end or just a flat out bust of a football player?

As a football player, man. His overall attitude sucks. Drugs, malcontent sense of entitlement, etc 

Edited by Vandy

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Are you guys serious? 

He's a bust. 

probably!!! definitely for Dolphins -     but y' never know - how many teams cut James Harrison?  He could get a roster invite - worst case scenario is you cut him in camp......

Just now, Vandy said:

As a football player, man. His overall attitude sucks. 

i have not followed him closely - what is the deal w/ his attitude? you sayin' he is a diva?

PFT article on Dion Jordan being cut and labeled a bust....and what they said when he was drafted.

What was said about Dion Jordan in 2013, and the lesson from it

Posted by Michael Gehlken on March 31, 2017, 7:03 PM EDT
dion-jordan.jpg?w=141Getty Images

WoooooahWoooooah!

Woooah-woooah-woooah!

And so it began in 2013, the NFL Network booth reacting to Commissioner Roger Goodell’s podium announcement of Dion Jordan as the Dolphins’ selection at No. 3 overall following a trade with the Raiders. The analysts expected tackle Lane Johnson, hence their surprise. That reaction is not to be faulted.

What was said afterward, and in the weeks before, is where the lesson comes.

When projecting draft prospects, no one knows for certain.

The Dolphins finally released Jordan on Friday, ending months of expectation. The former Oregon defensive end totaled the same number of suspensions for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy, three, as he did sacks for Miami. His regard in 2013 speaks equally to Jordan’s believed talent level as to there being no guarantees in scouting.

Here is what was said after Jordan was selected.

Mike Mayock: “This young man, I think he’s got the potential to be the player that I compare him to, which is Jason Taylor, who ironically played for the Miami Dolphins. I also think he looks a little bit like an Aldon Smith, and if he puts on 20 pounds on that 6-foot-7 frame, some day he might be as good as a DeMarcus Ware. He’s got that kind of edge speed.”

Steve Mariucci: “You know, I talked to his coach Nick Aliotti the other day, his defensive coordinator at Oregon. And he said this kid loves football. He loves to play. He loves to practice. He’s fully committed right now to football. This guy has got everything that it takes not only to rush the passer but to drop  into coverage at over 6-6. This guy, when he puts on a little muscle, he’s going to be dynamite.”

Marshall Faulk: “Dion Jordan is the guy that you don’t have to scheme to get a sack. He gets you a sack. And if you’re going to to compete against the New England Patriots two times a year, you have to be able to just beat a guy 1-on-1 and get a sack and not blitz Tom Brady. You need this guy.”

That was the immediate reaction to Jordan’s selection.

Mayock did well to say what Jordan could be as opposed to will be.

Pre-draft chatter included this from Bleacher Report: “If a player is going to be considered a ‘can’t-miss’ prospect, he needs to have a combination of elite physical traits, sound technical football skills and be free of character flaws. Oregon linebacker Dion Jordan may not be the first player selected on Thursday night, but when you consider the combination of athleticism and versatility he brings to the table, there is no way Jordan will fail to produce in the NFL.”

Jon Gruden anchored the ESPN broadcast’s reaction to Jordan’s selection.

He had his doubts.

“I really like Dion Jordan’s athleticism, but I’m shocked about this pick. When I watch Dion Jordan play, Mel (Kiper), I just don’t see him play. And this isn’t any false information. When you watch Oregon play, he doesn’t play against Cal because he’s hurt. But they play almost like hockey. He plays six plays; he’s out six plays. When you watch Dion Jordan play seven snaps in an NFL game, that’ll be the first time you’ve ever seen him do it. … He’s a great athlete, but there’s a lot of unknown right now at third overall.”

osiruz and AndySG like this

59 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

i have not followed him closely - what is the deal w/ his attitude? you sayin' he is a diva?

Too many red flags for me he's done zilch on the field he's done in my eyes.Ped busts 2 years running nah done.

Just now, kiwifalcon said:

Too many red flags for me he's done zilch on the field he's done in my eyes.Ped busts 2 years running nah done.

yeah, well I ain't losing sleep clamoring for him - if someone was gonna give him a multi-year deal or anything more than a camp invite/vet min - I would tap out as well.     However if the buy-in is that low, what is the harm?

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

yeah, well I ain't losing sleep clamoring for him - if someone was gonna give him a multi-year deal or anything more than a camp invite/vet min - I would tap out as well.     However if the buy-in is that low, what is the harm?

Probably not but I think DQ and co might go with other options before dealing with his dramas.

g-dawg likes this

On a short term minimum deal he is worth the risk.

If he sucks oh well we did not lose anything .

But if he lives up to his athletic hype?????

Yeah that is worth a 1 year deal

My best friend is a huge Dolphins' fan. He's gone to a few games over the past couple of years. He said he saw Jordan come out a few times injured. Also mentioned that he didn't seem to "hustle" during plays and seemed lackadaisical. 

1 hour ago, jeffro2000 said:

Draft experts and people with eyes knew (4-3) Sam LBer coming out was his best position. He was over drafted based on pass rush potential. He wasn't a Pass rusher in college and shouldn't had been drafted that high.

The Dolphins did the worse thing imaginable for him and played him as a 4-3 DE before moving him to LBer. 3-4/4-3 regardless, he needs to be standing up.

He may can play and be a versatile guy on the field, but I don't know that. Yeah I would give him a chance, but I'm sure many teams are thinking that. 1yr deal, $1M tops.

Exactly lol, there are other teams out there looking through free agents.. some im sure would do more than that