gazoo

Why the Falcons won't collapse like the Panthers did Season after Super Bowl Loss

115 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, gazoo said:

Also, despite winning MVP Cam did not carry that 2015 team, his defense carried the team. Just look at how he played throughout the season with a few terrible games and more mediocre ones his defense bailed him out of, it can't be remotely compared to how Ryan played in 2016. 

The Falcons are the antithesis of the 2015 Panthers team. The heart  of the Falcons team has a true leader in Matt Ryan, strong bonds between teammates and young, tenacious, hungry players.

Their offense may have ridiculously number of TD,  but it's their the defense who carried the team to SB50,

Remember Cam was benched for not wearing a tie? While Rivera and likely the rest of the Panthers organization will stick with the story that it was simply a rules violation, I wouldn’t be so quick to accept it at face value. 

gazoo likes this

I'm not seeing it either honestly. I trust Matt Ryan a lot more than Cam. Plus I think our core is very young whereas the Panthers was not near as young. Stewart, TD, Olsen, Kalil, Johnson, etc. 

gazoo likes this

1 hour ago, Godzilla1985 said:

I think the Panthers were at the peak of a 3 year window they had in 2015 coupled with a very weak schedule.  They got old and lost key players without replacing them. 

It's really that simple. 

Godzilla1985 likes this

They did have a lot of poorly timed key injuries. We are all fooling ourselves to not see that we were fortunate with injuries last year and had a few decent backups to keep us in the hunt. With the roster the way it is now, we are two or three key injuries from going on a losing streak. Tom Compton was a terrible backup. If we had lost either tackle earlier in the year, a lot of games could have gone bad. 

SamMills51 likes this

4 hours ago, SamMills51 said:

I've never seen so much BS in one post. With that logic, the Falcons would never be able to trust Matt Ryan anymore after taking a sack instead of throwing to his safety valve in a wide open Freeman on film.

The fumble was the least of the worries on the Panthers' minds. If you honestly think that affected team chemistry at all or even the season outlook, you've never played a team sport in your life.

You can argue injuries, our disappointing first game loss thanks to Gano's stupid foot, or even lack of killer's instinct to losing so many close games this season. But Cam's leadership is definitely the last thing on that list.

Spin it however you want to panther fan.....but no one can hide the fact that Cam is a me me me player and not attempting to recover that fumble pretty much tells it all. Truth be known....Cam's not very well liked in the Panther locker room. His self first inflated ego has to be growing old especially if the team hits a losing skid. Time will tell...but I'm thinking Cams days are numbered. He don't like to be hit, cries about it and he's not very effective just being a pocket passer. Good luck with DA

gazoo likes this

2 hours ago, MarkMc44 said:

I have always felt the same about that play, Gazoo. If I'm not mistaken, the Panthers were 5 points down with 6 minutes to go,(or vice versa), in the SUPER BOWL!! Matt would have broken his neck going for that ball! That had to affect team dynamics, going forward. The QB is definately not part of their "brotherhood"! 

GO FALCONS!!!!

You are 100% correct, Ryan absolutely would have dived into that pile to get that ball. Some here have always adored Cam and even suggested he was better than Ryan. It does not surprise me they cannot acknowledge how demoralizing to team chemistry that play was....they don't want to admit they were wrong about Cam.

Matt Ryan played infinitely better in his MVP season than Cam played in his MVP season......and it's because Ryan is a much better QB.

Ryan is not just a better QB, he is also a better leader and mentally, emotionally  and physically tougher than Cam. 

7 minutes ago, gazoo said:

You are 100% correct, Ryan absolutely would have dived into that pile to get that ball. Some here have always adored Cam and even suggested he was better than Ryan. It does not surprise me they cannot acknowledge how demoralizing to team chemistry that play was....they don't want to admit they were wrong about Cam.

Matt Ryan played infinitely better in his MVP season than Cam played in his MVP season......and it's because Ryan is a much better QB.

Ryan is not just a better QB, he is also a better leader and mentally, emotionally  and physically tougher than Cam. 

Cam Newton played and got MVP with Ginn as his #1 receiver and Mike Remmers as his RT.

Matt Ryan has Julio Jones, Gabriel, A Healthy O-line all year, Sanu, Freeman, Coleman, and a wealth of goodies Cam could only dream of having.

I don't think you want me to bring up that time Matt Ryan got scared to make a simple block. Cam Newton made a block against Tampa in the last game with a torn rotator cuff, and used that arm to block.

3 hours ago, droopy1592 said:

They did have a lot of poorly timed key injuries. We are all fooling ourselves to not see that we were fortunate with injuries last year and had a few decent backups to keep us in the hunt. With the roster the way it is now, we are two or three key injuries from going on a losing streak. Tom Compton was a terrible backup. If we had lost either tackle earlier in the year, a lot of games could have gone bad. 

Don't forget we were not only playing 4 rookies on defense, we had some key injuries last year too. Our very best defender Marcus Trufant, our starting TE Jason Tamme, our starting LB Witherspoon, a major contributing DL Shelby who was just coming on when he went down, Clayborn was out several games, a key backup and heavy contributor Ishmael went down?

We just drafted well as of late and had good youth, even Jalen Collins played a huge role. 

hotlanta likes this

48 minutes ago, Falcon mama said:

Spin it however you want to panther fan.....but no one can hide the fact that Cam is a me me me player and not attempting to recover that fumble pretty much tells it all. Truth be known....Cam's not very well liked in the Panther locker room. His self first inflated ego has to be growing old especially if the team hits a losing skid. Time will tell...but I'm thinking Cams days are numbered. He don't like to be hit, cries about it and he's not very effective just being a pocket passer. Good luck with DA

Yep......agree 100%. 

Falcon mama likes this

5 hours ago, SamMills51 said:

Lol, "Cam not diving for the fumble."

Same old argument with no basis whatsoever. If you really think that's what caused our collapse, you're in for a rude awakening.

You won't collapse like the Panthers if you stay healthy. We said the same exact things you did. Our team core was intact, and I can assure you Cam, Olsen, Kuechly, TD, Charles Johnson, Ryan Kalil, and Kurt Coleman all helped bring about leadership. We were young at our star positions, and had no reason to think we'd derail.

Then Stewart got hurt game 2. Oher got concussed in between game 2 and 3, wasn't caught until after game 3. Benewikerie was out of shape and cut. Bradberry and Worley would be out a few games. Kalil and his backup IR'd. Cam Newton got concussed for a game. Luke Kuechly got concussed for the rest of the season. Our backup RT would be out a few games. Addison would be out a few games. Kurt Coleman out for a game. Backup MLB out for a few games. Leonard Johnson out for a few games. Charles Johnson out for a few games. Trai Turner got hurt for a bit as well.

All things considered, we had no chance. Seems the players we needed the most were hurt that week every game. Secondary inexperience led to some blown leads as well in the first half of the year.

Even so, the Panthers had the lead in 6/10 losses in the 4th quarter, and 6/10 of those losses were by 3 points or less.

As I said, stay healthy, and you'll do fine. Nothing about our locker room culture - which Tillman and Allen said was one of the best they've ever been in - did that. 

I think the Panthers sucked this year because Cam sucked. And is a terrible leader. 

falconsrus and Falcon mama like this

What so many saw during Super Bowl LXI was the Falcons gave up a 25 point lead and lost. 

What I saw was a team that took the Patriots to Overtime and lost because of a coin toss.  Forget about everything else but the positive.  We were IN the Super Bowl, played an AWESOME game in the Super Bowl and had a team that had made us ALL proud fans, even for a moment. 

We're a very YOUNG team with a lot of growth potential and this team was playing with a lot of rookies and second year players who haven't even SNIFFED being good/great yet.  We also caught the eye of millions of football fans that even though might ridicule the SB results, also see an up and coming very good team that's likely to own the NFC for several years to come.  Barring a ton of injuries, this team will not collapse. We have great depth in many places and a great HC that knows how to position his players to get the best of their talents. 

2017, we're going to reclaim the NFC South in a SWEEP.  We will NOT lose an NFC matchup next season.  We WILL return to the playoffs and strut all the way through those and re-engage and this time overcome our opponent in Super Bowl XLII.  And return again to Super Bowl XLIII which will be hosted in Atlanta. 

The Falcons won't fold like the panties did for a couple of reason.  Reason one is that DQ is ten times the coach of Rivera.  Second it's because Matt Ryan will improve.  He's already in the lab on the west coast and next he will be hosting a player only party in South Florida soon.  Cam was picking out shoes for his post game fashion show, learning a new dance, buying a year supply of dental floss and harassing models on twitter after his superbowl meltdown.  Third, we have more talent than they do.  Fourth our defense is improving every year as the rooks get experience, DQ trains them up and we get a few more pieces.  Dare I say will have the best defense in the NFC south this year.  And fifth, the panthers really aren't that good.

hotlanta and Slappywhite like this

Posted (edited)

35 minutes ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

The Falcons won't fold like the panties did for a couple of reason.  Reason one is that DQ is ten times the coach of Rivera.  Second it's because Matt Ryan will improve.  He's already in the lab on the west coast and next he will be hosting a player only party in South Florida soon.  Cam was picking out shoes for his post game fashion show, learning a new dance, buying a year supply of dental floss and harassing models on twitter after his superbowl meltdown.  Third, we have more talent than they do.  Fourth our defense is improving every year as the rooks get experience, DQ trains them up and we get a few more pieces.  Dare I say will have the best defense in the NFC south this year.  And fifth, the panthers really aren't that good.

+1

You are correct my friend. Biggest deference... The Panthers '16 offseason Cam was too busy filming yogurt comericals, the Norman distraction, Cam complaining about being treated unfairly, Rivera complaining about opening against Denver, add a bad draft and you get the '16 Panthers. I actually expect them to struggle even worst this upcoming season, especially considering Cam needs all the work he can get with his mechanics but probably won't start throwing until late July early August. 

Edited by hotlanta

3 hours ago, gazoo said:

Don't forget we were not only playing 4 rookies on defense, we had some key injuries last year too. Our very best defender Marcus Trufant, our starting TE Jason Tamme, our starting LB Witherspoon, a major contributing DL Shelby who was just coming on when he went down, Clayborn was out several games, a key backup and heavy contributor Ishmael went down?

We just drafted well as of late and had good youth, even Jalen Collins played a huge role. 

Strong everything.

6 hours ago, gazoo said:

Losing Trufant and having Collins, then losing Tamme and having Hooper, and a DL here and there, are having decent back ups. We did not have a decent back up tackle. Matt could have lost a few more fumbles or thrown interceptions.  Look at the super bowl. We were up against a mediocre pass rush until the injuries started piling up then suddenly we couldn't move the ball at will like we were all year. If we lose a tackle next season it will be major 

There are alot of responses that I won't read...but I will say 1 play does not tank the following season.

Yes it was eembarrassing and showed how much of a ***** scam is......but that is not why their season tanked the following year.

Injuries hurt them (like they can any team) 

I do think their attitude caught up.

They were flat disrespectful in 2015 with excessive showboating and picture taking during games

It is bad enough to have a target because you are a defending conference champs....It is another to add to the target for being dooshbags.

When you combine that with a terrible offensive line and teams figuring out your offense  ....and then throw in serious injuries you habr the makings of a losing season

TheFatboi and The Daywalker like this

3 hours ago, droopy1592 said:

Losing Trufant and having Collins, then losing Tamme and having Hooper, and a DL here and there, are having decent back ups. We did not have a decent back up tackle. Matt could have lost a few more fumbles or thrown interceptions.  Look at the super bowl. We were up against a mediocre pass rush until the injuries started piling up then suddenly we couldn't move the ball at will like we were all year. If we lose a tackle next season it will be major 

No doubt we had little depth along OL and my opinion is we would have destroyed the Patriots in the Super Bowl if our 3 best OL weren't all playing injured.

Mack was playing with a broken leg, Mathews with a gimpy ankle and Shraeder tore a ligament in his ankle in second quarter and starting getting abused until he was pulled late in game.

Mack and Shraeders play tanked in the second half and I assume it's because once their injuries flared up and they sat down for 45 minute halftime, when they got back up their injuries were flared up and they couldn't really play.

I've been able to do a lot of things injured until I rest the injury for a half hour or more. Once I've rested the injury it will flare up in pain if I get back on it too fast.

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

No doubt we had little depth along OL and my opinion is we would have destroyed the Patriots in the Super Bowl if our 3 best OL weren't all playing injured.

Mack was playing with a broken leg, Mathews with a gimpy ankle and Shraeder tore a ligament in his ankle in second quarter and starting getting abused until he was pulled late in game.

Mack and Shraeders play tanked in the second half and I assume it's because once their injuries flared up and they sat down for 45 minute halftime, when they got back up their injuries were flared up and they couldn't really play.

I've been able to do a lot of things injured until I rest the injury for a half hour or more. Once I've rested the injury it will flare up in pain if I get back on it too fast.

I honestly believe we should draft OT vs RG that could back up both in case someone goes down. I know great RG prospects are in later rounds but we need a backup tackle. Might need to take one in the first or second. 

gazoo likes this

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, SamMills51 said:

Cam Newton played and got MVP with Ginn as his #1 receiver and Mike Remmers as his RT.

Matt Ryan has Julio Jones, Gabriel, A Healthy O-line all year, Sanu, Freeman, Coleman, and a wealth of goodies Cam could only dream of having.

I don't think you want me to bring up that time Matt Ryan got scared to make a simple block. Cam Newton made a block against Tampa in the last game with a torn rotator cuff, and used that arm to block.

I love how you always discredit Johnathan Stewart and Greg Olsen. 

Dont act like Cam had nothing. The 2015 Panthers offense still had 6 pro bowlers and 4 AP all pros. 

Cam reaped the benefits of a great O-line, running game, and elite tight end. Oh and the Panthers defense was pretty amazing too. 

Last year, that O-line falls apart, Stewart is old, Cam sucks, then gets hurts and gets even worse 

Edited by JD dirtybird21
gazoo likes this

One reason Falcons won't collapse like the Panthers is that the Falcons run a much more sustainable offense. No matter how big and tough your QB is, you can't have the read option as a key cog of your offense.

SamMills51 likes this

12 hours ago, SamMills51 said:

You've really gotta stop with the Ginn nonsense as well as the "woe is Cam" garbage. It's just as bad as the lazy narratives you're arguing against. 

8 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

There are alot of responses that I won't read...but I will say 1 play does not tank the following season.

Yes it was eembarrassing and showed how much of a ***** scam is......but that is not why their season tanked the following year.

Injuries hurt them (like they can any team) 

I do think their attitude caught up.

They were flat disrespectful in 2015 with excessive showboating and picture taking during games

It is bad enough to have a target because you are a defending conference champs....It is another to add to the target for being dooshbags.

When you combine that with a terrible offensive line and teams figuring out your offense  ....and then throw in serious injuries you habr the makings of a losing season

I agree with everything you said. The panthers were already getting their @sses whipped in the SB so that fumble was just the icing on the cake. That did not break their season. If cams leadership was the reason then they should've given up on him before their SB season. Would t that make sense? I don't like the panthers but I'm not gonna sit here and act like cam isn't a dangerous qb when healthy. We've all heard tales of qb's not being good leaders. Aaron Rodgers is one that former TEAMMATES have even said as much but that doesn't stop them from being good every year. Talent is talent. Leadship is great too but if you lack the talent it's only so far leadership will get you. 

falconsd56 and Godzilla1985 like this

26 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

I agree with everything you said. The panthers were already getting their @sses whipped in the SB so that fumble was just the icing on the cake. That did not break their season. If cams leadership was the reason then they should've given up on him before their SB season. Would t that make sense? I don't like the panthers but I'm not gonna sit here and act like cam isn't a dangerous qb when healthy. We've all heard tales of qb's not being good leaders. Aaron Rodgers is one that former TEAMMATES have even said as much but that doesn't stop them from being good every year. Talent is talent. Leadship is great too but if you lack the talent it's only so far leadership will get you. 

The game was still in doubt....to see your supposed leader give up on a play like that...that does hurt.

Rogers is an azzhat but if the ball is on the groundI and he has a chance to get it....he is diving for it....there is no question about his drive.

Cam is still just a dangerous athlete.....not so much a qb....his mechanics sick and he still relies too much on his amazing physical ability.

He is probably the most unique athlete to play the position in the nfl ......but he is easily rattled and is pretty inaccurate.

gazoo likes this