Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcon Ben

New Rule Eliminates Jumping Across Line During FGAs: Why?

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The thread title pretty much says it all. I can see no justification for prohibiting this play. 

It doesn't seem extraordinarily dangerous or likely to result in a serious injury, and it is exciting. Nor does it seem to me to be impossible to block the guy who leaps over the line -- one of the upbacks (I am a little rusty on special teams position titles) can just crack the leaper once he touches down. 

Just trying to understand the logic. Any thoughts?

ETA: Link to the mother ship's article on the rule changes. 

Edited by Falcon Ben
Karst41 likes this

Do you seriously think that's the reason? Maybe I'm missing something; I've never lined up to block an EPA. But I don't see any big injury risk aside from a leg injury from landing wrong. 

mashburn*Fibonacci likes this

Just now, athell said:

Long snappers must have some **** on the commissioner or something...

I get that long snappers are preoccupied, and therefore unlikely to be able to block as effectively, but if a LB leaps over him, there is even less pressure on him to block. 

Well, it did just occur to me that a lineman could theoretically just reach up and grab the leaper's ankle, which would probably lead to a crash-course in gravity. Maybe that's it...

1 minute ago, Falcon Ben said:

Do you seriously think that's the reason? Maybe I'm missing something; I've never lined up to block an EPA. But I don't see any big injury risk aside from a leg injury from landing wrong. 

That will be the reason given in my opinion. I think everyone would be doing it eventually anyway, so maybe there would be a player safety concern as team would devise a way to stop it.

4 minutes ago, Falcon Ben said:

It's player safety like Pimp said.  Although I'm not sure how many long snappers are going out due to injury from leapers.

It's easy to blame the No Fun League for rule changes like this, but it was requested by the players union.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/21/nflpa-wants-to-ban-leaping-on-field-goal/

Three weeks ago in Indianapolis, NFLPA president Eric Winston made it clear that the union wants to give the leap the boot.

The jump-over rule on the field goal concerns me,” Winston said during an appearance on PFT Live. “I would say that there’s a chance for a big injury on that play. Just for the jumper getting his legs caught up and landing on his head and for the offensive linemen in between the ‘A’ and ‘B’ gaps. If that guys and gets his legs hit and falls on someone’s leg, those are big injuries. Those aren’t sprained-ankle sort of injuries.”

Well, there you go. Asked and answered. 

I appreciate that it came from the union -- I'd have been more skeptical of the league's answer. 

kjv315 and Drew4719 like this

stupid Union. I don't care what people say for player safety. it's a hard hitting game. if you don't like it, go play jump rope or something...... I don't like playing Knife games. Therefore I do not play it and call people idiots. 

I really couldn't care less about it.  Jumping over a guy snapping the ball was nothing but a hokey play anyways.  

Some of the other BS rules they implement but me a lot more.

2 hours ago, Falcon Ben said:

Just trying to understand the logic. Any thoughts?

A week or two ago Goddy stated that he was trying to shorten the game.  While he implied Commercials we all have to keep one thing in mind.  Goody was hired to grow the league revenues and he has succeeded.

Now we can safely say that if he can shorten the games he can squeeze in more commercials, and that is mo money fo da league.

Yes he stated that he was going to have less commercials.  But you can also conclude that Less commercials and shorter game times equals two things.  Longer commercials at an even higher rate.

Goody was Not hired to decrease revenues.

36 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I really couldn't care less about it.  Jumping over a guy snapping the ball was nothing but a hokey play anyways.  

I agree. Doesn't bother me at all that it's gone. 

You'd see a lot of people agreeing with the new rule here if the guy for the Patriots hadn't been offside and blocked that kick in the SB. As proof see the 'overtime rules' thread. You'd have had a thread about outlawing the leap too. <_<

HASHBROWN3 likes this

"We saw many instances as teams began to understand how to block it, it became a little more concerning," McKay said. "Early on, teams didn't know how to block it. The guard didn't get up in the air. The center wasn't getting up. Nobody was chipping on the player. The player was getting a free run. All of a sudden, the player wasn't getting a free run, and now the player was coming down at a really bad angle.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19038674/pete-carroll-seattle-seahawks-players-disappointed-nfl-decision-ban-leaping-field-goals-extra-points

I just hope the Falcons win a superbowl before the nfl is no longer watchable... it's really close now.

2 hours ago, mashburn*Fibonacci said:

stupid Union. I don't care what people say for player safety. it's a hard hitting game. if you don't like it, go play jump rope or something...... I don't like playing Knife games. Therefore I do not play it and call people idiots. 

Sad, was expecting blood.

I know you got your answer and basically answered it yourself, but it had the potential to be a dangerous deal.

If I was coaching the Guard/Center and going against a team that does it then I would teach them to grasp the guys leg, do whatever to trip them.

Also it is illegal to touch the LS in that instance, so I am teaching him to try to make contact with the leaper in any way possible.

I didn't care if it was outlawed or not. If a guy wants to try it at his risk than so be it. It's a violent game.

I don't know their reasoning, but I would imagine the ruling is to protect the long snapper and the leaper.  

In order to stop the leaper, the LS has to stand up immediately.  The leaper will get his feet and legs caught up and most likely get turned upside down quickly......neck injuries.  The LS gets put at risk as he stands up because a second defender can go low and hurt his knees. 

Personally, I don't care.  The NFL will not suffer from this ruling.

4 hours ago, A Pimp Named Slickback™ said:

I'm sure it was done for "player safety" :airquote:

If the leaper doesn't clear the guy he's jumping over his lower body momentum slows but his upper body doesn't which could lead to him going face first into the turf.

Going face first into the ground and having your neck snap back with the weight of your body crushing onto it.... Yeah pretty bad **** could happen that way.