TheFalcoholic

Falcons Sign Guard, 2 Fullbacks

116 posts in this topic

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/9/3/12785270/report-colts-place-hugh-thornton-on-injured-reserve

This move (placing Hugh on IR) shouldn’t really come as a big surprise, as we mentioned the other day that the only realistic way of keeping him around was to place him on IR. He’s dealt with injuries during his tenure with the Colts, and this year missed most of training camp and all of preseason with an ankle injury, still being considered week-to-week. With other injuries - particularly to guards Jack Mewhort and Joe Haeg - the Colts couldn’t afford to keep another injured guy on their active roster, so it was almost guaranteed Thornton wouldn’t be making the 53-man roster today. The only question was whether he’d be placed on IR, and it sounds like that is indeed what will happen. It’s unclear whether the team hopes he can return this year (you don’t have to designate it now), or whether they’ll just leave him there for the rest of the season and let him walk as a free agent, or whether they’ll waive him with an injury settlement.

Thornton has now been on injured reserve for at least part of each of the past three seasons, though he’s played in 37 games (starting 32) during his three seasons with the Colts. He was presumed to be a favorite to win the starting right guard spot (in 2016) this offseason, but he wasn’t able to work during the offseason program due to injury. He returned in time for training camp, but soon he was once again sidelined with an injury - and he hasn’t returned since. Denzelle Good was already starting to emerge as the frontrunner for the spot anyway, and Thornton’s injury just cemented it. It is certainly fair to wonder whether we’ve already seen the last of Hugh Thornton in a Colts uniform, and the fact that he’s now on IR would seem to make it likely.

AndySG and capitan like this

Also signed 2 Fullbacks...

Falcons Sign FB Coleman, G Thornton and FB Vainuku
facebook@2x.png twitter@2x.png
three-piece_no-biscuit.jpg

The Falcons have signed fullback Derrick Coleman, guard Hugh Thornton, and fullback Soma Vainuku.

Coleman and Vainuku are being brought in to fill a void at the fullback position and to compete for the starting fullback spot. Coleman was signed by the Minnesota Vikings following the 2012 NFL Draft. He was signed by the Seattle Seahawks in December of 2012. Coleman played in 31 games with seven starts for the Seahawks and has 11 career receptions for 91 yards with two receiving touchdowns. He also has 10 career rushing attempts for 35 yards.

Thornton was selected by the Indianapolis Colts in the third round of the 2013 draft out of Illinois. The former Fighting Illini played in 37 games for the Colts, with 32 starts. During his three years with the team, he has switched between playing left and right guard.

Vainuku was signed by the Texans following the 2016 NFL Draft out of University of Southern California. As stated earlier, Vainuku was brought in to fill a void at the fullback position and to compete for the starting job.
slimjim and FalconBlood like this

2 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

The Falcons have signed fullback Derrick Coleman, guard Hugh Thornton, and fullback Soma Vainuku.

Coleman and Vainuku are being brought in to fill a void at the fullback position and to compete for the starting fullback spot. Coleman was signed by the Minnesota Vikings following the 2012 NFL Draft. He was signed by the Seattle Seahawks in December of 2012. Coleman played in 31 games with seven starts for the Seahawks and has 11 career receptions for 91 yards with two receiving touchdowns. He also has 10 career rushing attempts for 35 yards.

Thornton was selected by the Indianapolis Colts in the third round of the 2013 draft out of Illinois. The former Fighting Illini played in 37 games for the Colts, with 32 starts. During his three years with the team, he has switched between playing left and right guard.

Vainuku was signed by the Texans following the 2016 NFL Draft out of University of Southern California. As stated earlier, Vainuku was brought in to fill a void at the fullback position and to compete for the starting job.

Can Soma Vainuku block? That boy is like 260lbs.

8 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

Is it just me OR does it seem we are getting a lot more mean looking! lol

FalconBlood and PK Manley like this

1 hour ago, Knight of God said:

I am not into stories, but dude is solid. If healthy, he is great insurance for Wes. Not a camp body and my an early round pick for OG unnecessary

Unnecessary maybe, but I think what they are really doing is setting up to be able to pick the BPA no matter what. OG doesn't work out for our pick? No big deal. I still want one though. It just doesn't have to be a first day starter any more.

Same with Poe. He's on a 1 year deal, so DT is still a need, but whomever they bring in as a DT doesn't need to start on day 1. They can develop and evaluate for a year.

I like the strategy.

Bobby.Digital and Jerz like this

2 minutes ago, rugger8 said:

Unnecessary maybe, but I think what they are really doing is setting up to be able to pick the BPA no matter what. OG doesn't work out for our pick? No big deal. I still want one though. It just doesn't have to be a first day starter any more.

Same with Poe. He's on a 1 year deal, so DT is still a need, but whomever they bring in as a DT doesn't need to start on day 1. They can develop and evaluate for a year.

I like the strategy.

With this lack of talent at OG I would laugh if there was no one left at 31 who was better.

33 minutes ago, raysnill1 said:

Derrick Coleman is deaf so I'm always amazed when deaf people succeed in something that's based so much on communication

Hey he won't hear all the smack talking either... so that's one advantage!

atlbaby likes this

Coleman is actually pretty good, I believe he is deaf though right? And also gotninto legal trouble a year or two ago and that's why he's not in Seattle 

FalconBlood likes this