LightningDawg58

How do we feel about the LB position going forward?

67 posts in this topic

So the off season is moving along great and we're looking solid on both sides of the ball. I'm curious however how we see ourselves at LB as we enter the draft.

Obviously Deion Jones is the alpha in that group heading in to next season. He is a star in the making.

My question is what about the vets Wheeler, Spoon and Reynolds. Do they have a role with us going forward or can we upgrade them in the draft?

Also, Devondra Campbell, he flashed a lot in the off season and preseason and was solid during the regular season for sure. He was a 4th rounder so I don't place a ton of pressure on him to become a pro bowler or anything but does he have what it takes to man that WLB for us for years to come. Do yal expect him to make leaps to his game or maintain his solid yet not flashy play?

Lastly, what linebackers (not edge players but true backers) do yal see in this draft that we may be interested in that can make an impact early for us?

Jerz likes this

9 minutes ago, RaichuFTW said:

Is this the year Tyler Starr puts it all together and gets good playing time? Time will tell

He's a RFA that won't be tendered aka he gone

Flying Falcon likes this

8 minutes ago, RaichuFTW said:

Is this the year Tyler Starr puts it all together and gets good playing time? Time will tell

No chance 

I think LB is still a glaring need and a further infusion of talent could pay off big time in the long run. I could see Campbell moving to SLB and letting Wheeler go. He looked good coming off the line the few times he's done it and he got a few good pressures on Brady in the SB. Jarrad Davis, Reddick, and Zach Cunningham would no doubt be impactful in Quinns defense. I hate to sound pessimistic but I always expect one of our LB's to go down for some time so I wouldn't be comfortable at all going into the season with just Jones and Campbell along with Reynolds to back them up.

I think We'll draft a guy on day 2 or 3 who could provide good depth behind DJ, DC and Vic and be a stud on ST..... I like Duke Riley out of LSU or maybe Alex Anzalone out of UF as 4th/5th rounders 

Falcons were able to grab 2 linebackers last year, I am sure they can grab 1 or 2 more this year in the draft if needed.  I think we go FS, DE, LB and possibly DT.  As far as guard goes, I would like to bring in another vet like a Levitre to the team. 

7 minutes ago, Kung-Pow said:

Pipe dream I know but there isn't a player in this draft I would want more than Reuben Foster

Pipe dream is right, I wish he would be there.  The Bears are interviewing him and they are drafting third...

Kung-Pow likes this

39 minutes ago, WeDemBirds60 said:

I think We'll draft a guy on day 2 or 3 who could provide good depth behind DJ, DC and Vic and be a stud on ST..... I like Duke Riley out of LSU or maybe Alex Anzalone out of UF as 4th/5th rounders 

So I didnt include Vic because even tho he is listed as LB on the depth chart he is almost always playing with his hand in the dirt and rushing the passer. 

The edge guys in our system are rarely asked to cover TEs or play between the tackles

Monolith2001 likes this

1 minute ago, athell said:

Pipe dream is right, I wish he would be there.  The Bears are interviewing him and they are drafting third...

Everything about this guy's game film just screams LT to me - not saying he will ever become the pass rusher LT was - but this guy has the size and build and arrives to the ball just as quickly and intent just as violently. 

Scouts will be interested to see how the film translates to his individual workouts; if the numbers prove he's as fast and explosive as advertised. Most draft risers experience the opposite effect, there workout numbers belie perhaps underwhelming game film, i.e., Jordan Willis. 

Foster will be at a disadvantage some that he was dismissed from the Combine and will have only his pro day to showcase in front of most observers, not counting private workout requests. 

Perhaps that alone could slide him down draft boards should he perform poorly. That said I fully expect his workout measurables to keep him out of our range but you never know.

NFL.com has a mock draft up with Tim Williams projected in the fourth when quite a few posters have projected him to us in as high as the first. So who really knows? Only thing certain is there is plenty of great talent in this draft that all teams are sure to improve. 

athell likes this

2 hours ago, LightningDawg58 said:

So the off season is moving along great and we're looking solid on both sides of the ball. I'm curious however how we see ourselves at LB as we enter the draft.

Obviously Deion Jones is the alpha in that group heading in to next season. He is a star in the making.

My question is what about the vets Wheeler, Spoon and Reynolds. Do they have a role with us going forward or can we upgrade them in the draft?

Also, Devondra Campbell, he flashed a lot in the off season and preseason and was solid during the regular season for sure. He was a 4th rounder so I don't place a ton of pressure on him to become a pro bowler or anything but does he have what it takes to man that WLB for us for years to come. Do yal expect him to make leaps to his game or maintain his solid yet not flashy play?

Lastly, what linebackers (not edge players but true backers) do yal see in this draft that we may be interested in that can make an impact early for us?

I've been hoping this guy falls to us in the 4th. Knock him if you will, but we are way to thin with PW moving on. 

hotlanta likes this

Duke Riley or Anthony Walker in the later rounds.

Riley is another quick twitch LB from LSU, was a 1 year starter, similar built to Debo. 

Anthony Walker is a name I've been hearing since last year. Had an incredible '15 season in which he posted 122 tackles, 20.5 TFL, 3 sacks, 4 pass break. Walker gained 20lbs prior to the '16 season which hurt his speed and explosiveness, could have used 5-10lbs. It's ultimately why he had a down'16 season and hurt his draft stock. Before the '16 season he was being compared to Navarro Bowman or Lavote David.

Debo and Campbell are the guys, and I'm happy with that. We definitely need some depth though. 

Not a name people mention but I really like Blaire Brown. He's a lateround/UDFA type that I think would be an amazing pickup. He's 'undersized' but incredibly athletic and has the ability to lay some thunder. I think he could be the next Brian Poole for us. 

37 minutes ago, Kung-Pow said:

Everything about this guy's game film just screams LT to me - not saying he will ever become the pass rusher LT was - but this guy has the size and build and arrives to the ball just as quickly and intent just as violently. 

Scouts will be interested to see how the film translates to his individual workouts; if the numbers prove he's as fast and explosive as advertised. Most draft risers experience the opposite effect, there workout numbers belie perhaps underwhelming game film, i.e., Jordan Willis. 

Foster will be at a disadvantage some that he was dismissed from the Combine and will have only his pro day to showcase in front of most observers, not counting private workout requests. 

Perhaps that alone could slide him down draft boards should he perform poorly. That said I fully expect his workout measurables to keep him out of our range but you never know.

NFL.com has a mock draft up with Tim Williams projected in the fourth when quite a few posters have projected him to us in as high as the first. So who really knows? Only thing certain is there is plenty of great talent in this draft that all teams are sure to improve. 

He is a monster no doubt.  May he be dismissed from a few more events prior to the draft, maybe then he will  fall all the way to 31 :ninja:

Don't take no chit, RF!!!

I feel the same way I have always felt and will feel until the draft 

We need another one and wouldn't be the worse thing to draft one in the first or second round. 

My first round draft group in LB/DE/OG and then DT/S.

Edited by Ezekiel 25:17
Jerz likes this