Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gazoo

Dontari Poe Signing gets very high ratings from pundits

38 posts in this topic

SB Nation - A

During the Falcons’ Super Bowl run, the team’s young and speedy defense found a rhythm in the latter half of the year. Still, the team finished near the bottom of the NFL in total defense and bolstering the unit is top priority. Adding nearly 350 pounds to the middle of the defensive line is a great way to start and will benefit all aspects of the Atlanta defense.

Bill Barnwell, ESPN - B

As a result, the Memphis product had to settle for a one-year, $8-million deal with the Falcons. The deal makes sense as a replacement for 35-year-old Jonathan Babineaux, who remains an unrestricted free agent and may retire. The Falcons had the league's fourth-worst rush-defense DVOA last season, and while Atlanta has made a conscious choice to sacrifice strength for speed, the 346-pound Poe gives Dan Quinn a mauling nose tackle on the interior of his defense. Given that Scott Pioli was the Chiefs general manager when Kansas City selected Poe in the first round of the 2012 draft, it's not an enormous surprise to see Poe head to Georgia.

Sports Illustrated - A-

The Falcons’ options up front will allow coach Dan Quinn to be creative with his personnel, mixing and matching as the situation demands. Poe was a three-down player in Kansas City, to the point that he rarely came off the field. He should have more of a chance to catch his breath with the Falcons. 

Bleacher Report - A+

Poe is probably a bit overrated and is coming off a down year, but he's still a nimble mountain of a man and has two Pro Bowl nods under his belt at the age of 26. And he undoubtedly makes a young defense better by bringing size and experience to the front. For a one-year, $8 million commitment, that's golden. 

Walter Football - A 

I love this signing. The Falcons are potentially getting a dominant presence in the interior of their defensive line. If Poe can't get healthy, then Atlanta isn't risking anything because it can just cut ties with him after this season. This is all reward with no risk.

The Falcoholic -http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2017/3/19/14973440/falcons-free-agent-grades-dontari-poe-atlanta-signing-rashede-hageman-grady-jarrett 

Just now, Birdy Dird said:

I too give us an A+. Poe will roll through opposing offensive lines like Taco Bell through a large intestine. 

LOL

Signing Poe deserves high praise. It's going to have a domino effect on our defense which will have a domino effect on our team. Grady is going to have 7+ sacks this year playing alongside Poe- you can put that one in the bank!

2 hours ago, camfalcon said:

Signing Poe deserves high praise. It's going to have a domino effect on our defense which will have a domino effect on our team. Grady is going to have 7+ sacks this year playing alongside Poe- you can put that one in the bank!

I'm probably just a Falcons homer but I believe Grady is going to get 10 sacks minimum barring no injury.

5 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

C'mon Rod Coleman oops I mean Grady Jarrett all pro here you come.

That's what i'm saying. Poe in the middle oughta really keep Grady clean to penetrate. I also like the idea of going all "big" with Hage and Grady in the middle, as well. Very nice signing

kiwifalcon likes this

1 hour ago, MSalmon said:

That's what i'm saying. Poe in the middle oughta really keep Grady clean to penetrate. I also like the idea of going all "big" with Hage and Grady in the middle, as well. Very nice signing

A d-line package with Poe, Crawford, Jarrett and Hageman would be a huge as well as very athletic. 

10 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

A d-line package with Poe, Crawford, Jarrett and Hageman would be a huge as well as very athletic. 

Plus the draft class.

Poe was the top free agent interior defensive lineman this year. He still got a B from some guy. We badly needed to re-work this d-line and we have done all the right things so far. The draft is right around the corner and we may see somebody else to get excited about!

16 hours ago, camfalcon said:

this will benefit the team much like how freeney benefitted the team last year. I think Poe, Grady and Hage are going to drive the opposing offense nuts. I'd like to see another DE and maybe a LB.....OG for the offense. I think we will be better personnel wise.

camfalcon likes this

13 minutes ago, Wardog357 said:

this will benefit the team much like how freeney benefitted the team last year. I think Poe, Grady and Hage are going to drive the opposing offense nuts. I'd like to see another DE and maybe a LB.....OG for the offense. I think we will be better personnel wise.

And Beasley too!

RedandBlack4ever likes this

I hope this gives us the DL we always wanted

Poe = Grady Jackson

Beasley = Abe

Jarrett = Rod Coleman

Kerney = ? Maybe Jack Crawford

What is exciting is we are almost in BPA for the draft right now.

Edited by MAD597

And come to think that there is still a draft, along with post June 1 cuts to add even more talent to this roster. With the Gibraltar-sized chip on their shoulders from, well, you know, they won't be arriving in Flowery Branch with any sense of entitlement, either. This is going to be a very hungry bunch...

1 hour ago, MAD597 said:

I hope this gives us the DL we always wanted

Poe = Grady Jackson

Beasley = Abe

Jarrett = Rod Coleman

Kerney = ? Maybe Jack Crawford<_<

What is exciting is we are almost in BPA for the draft right now.

3-out-of-4 ain't bad.:rolleyes:

bossFALCON™ and primetime like this

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I am stunned to the point of disbelief that Walterfootball.com gave us an "A" grade on anything.   Walter generally hates all things Falcons.

This is what I was going to say. It really must be an amazing move.

Or else it's a trick and he's jinxing us...

Just now, Lornoth said:

This is what I was going to say. It really must be an amazing move.

Or else it's a trick and he's jinxing us...

....good thought - that has got to be what it is Lornoth.    Walter has re-grouped and realized that he has helped Falcons by trashing all of our moves in the last year and he is trying a new tactic. :D

PokerSteve likes this

16 hours ago, JT said:

I'm probably just a Falcons homer but I believe Grady is going to get 10 sacks minimum barring no injury.

I'm not a card-carrying homer myself, however I agree, I think Grady getting minimum 10 sacks is a realistic projection. Yes, I'll take a tiny sip of that Dirty Bird Kool-Aide, thanks.  :D

JT likes this