Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TRUju2111

The reason why our offense will not regress

48 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, TonyMartin80 said:

Offense will probably be not quite as good but close. Other teams will have more tape and look for weaknesses. 

If we stay healthy I look for a SB rematch vs Patriots. 

In the NFL, after about four weeks teams have film on everything you do, but... Even if they needed a full season of tape on us they would have to trash most of it because we have a new OC, with new tendencies(not yet sure if this is good or bad yet).

With all that said, we won't have to score like that because the defense will crack into the upper "half" of the league this coming year! Maybe even break the top ten shell!! :-D

osiruz, MisterC and ChickenBiscuit like this

I, obviously don't have an insider, but I suspect we see the Falcons focus on being more physical on offense. Sustain drives a bit more, particularly when ahead. The one problem with a quick hitting offense, is the defense is on the field a lot. They get gassed.

It'll be interesting to see the Sark "wrinkles" on our offense

rugger8 and TRUju2111 like this

I do worry about a regression on offense. We have great players on that side of the ball but we also had Lady Luck on our side as well.  When was the last time we started the same 5 offensive linemen for all 16 games?  That won't happen in 2017 as injuries are a part of this sport.  We have to have more depth on the OL.  

rugger8 and ChickenBiscuit like this

We won't regress as an offense at all, simply because we have 2 QBs that are capable of seeing what KS saw and calling the right play. People look at Schaub's contract and don't understand how valuable he is to continuing KS system... he's worth every penny even if he doesn't get a single snap. 

I also remember an interview with Ryan and KS vividly when they were talking about being on the same page and Ryan said he saw something and was hoping that a particular play was called and then it was.  

So I think the front office has done the best job possible of ensuring continuity with a coordinator change 

Lowndesfalc, The Daywalker and JT like this

Even if our offense regresses by 5-7 points a game they will still be among the best in the league. With an improvement on defense it should be no problem to cover those points by limiting opponents.

jas82487 likes this

Offense isn't going to regress to a point where they won't be top 5! Just too much talent and the system isn't changing but rather think of it as adding to what we already do so well.

but we do need to work on offensive line depth that's for sure but I'm expecting that to be addressed over this off season. Maybe bringing back Chester for the vet minimum for depth isn't a bad idea either if he decides to keep playing.

oh and our defense is much much much improved....I'm not expecting a bottom feeder defense this up coming season. I love our defense line rotation as well as our CBs and Safeties. I don't think we need to focus on a DE pass rusher in the draft as much as RG unless there's one available when we pick that Quinn absolutely loves. 

rugger8 likes this

5 hours ago, TonyMartin80 said:

Offense will probably be not quite as good but close. Other teams will have more tape and look for weaknesses. 

If we stay healthy I look for a SB rematch vs Patriots. 

I disagree. I think, if both teams stay healthy, it will be us vs. Raiders in SB LII.

ChickenBiscuit likes this

They will regress some statistically, but will still be a top 5 offense....pair that w a top 10 defense, and the team as a whole should be considerably better

..Look out NFL!

rugger8 likes this

Everyone has been looking at us either staying the same or getting worse. What just came to mind is that we may shatter expectations and become the best offense in the history of the nfl. 

By creating a defense that can actually get off the field we may actually end up with 3-4 extra possessions a game... that's scary... to every other team at least 

TRUju2111 likes this

2 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

They will regress some statistically, but will still be a top 5 offense....pair that w a top 10 defense, and the team as a whole should be considerably better

..Look out NFL!

That is how I look at it. It's more a regression to the mean, rather than dropping off. I could see us improving the time of possession, and dropping off a few points per game. 

I also agree with a few posts that we really need to address the OL depth in a serious way. I'd be happy to bring Chester back, and have him just as a reserve while drafting a OG/C and a OG/OT later on in the draft.

We need to replace Compton just as urgently as we need to replace Chester, and I think we also need to address how we are going to replace Levitre next year in this off season. 

The defense is likely to get better. Special Teams is unlikely to get better as it was already good. 

Neither of those things have much of an impact on how the offense will fare. 

We're almost certainly regressing toward the mean. The good news is that the offense was so good that a regression still leaves it in "top of the league" territory. 

Unless something really bad happens, obviously. 

3 hours ago, droopy1592 said:

I feel like the defense won't spend all game on the field like last season and give the offense more chances. This alone will help us continue to score tons of points 

I like the way you are thinking there young fella! 

13 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Special Teams is unlikely to get better as it was already good. 

Uh... Not too sure about that. We weren't horrible, but still a little shaky kick coverage.

16 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

The defense is likely to get better. Special Teams is unlikely to get better as it was already good. 

Neither of those things have much of an impact on how the offense will fare. 

We're almost certainly regressing toward the mean. The good news is that the offense was so good that a regression still leaves it in "top of the league" territory. 

Unless something really bad happens, obviously. 

Special teams could certainly improve in the return game.

TRUju2111 likes this

Offense could regress by a full touchdown per game and still average 27 points, which would be good for # 5 last year (DAL 26.6).

If we stay healthy and the defense improves we could be right back where we were last year

19 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Uh... Not too sure about that. We weren't horrible, but still a little shaky kick coverage.

We were 8th in the league in STs in total. While any individual portion of that may improve, there isnt really a whole lot of room for the entire unit to get appreciably better. 

4 hours ago, MSalmon said:

I, obviously don't have an insider, but I suspect we see the Falcons focus on being more physical on offense. Sustain drives a bit more, particularly when ahead. The one problem with a quick hitting offense, is the defense is on the field a lot. They get gassed.

It'll be interesting to see the Sark "wrinkles" on our offense

And we saw a gassed defense all season in the 4th quarter...one reason we teams were able to put up a lot of points in the 4th. Belichick noticed that and used it to his advantage.   

47 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Ha we had the longest scoring drives of any team last season. We should be better here.