Miller2Rison

don't make the Mike smith mistake

37 posts in this topic

Mike Smith team after 2012 season = Bad draft picks, bad free agents, over the hill head coach, bad injuries and no team chemistry.

Dan Quinn is bringing the opposite of all of that

I agree, we shouldn't make the same mistake of thinking we are a player or two away from winning it all. Just keep building through the draft for the future. 

Vandy likes this

6 hours ago, Power I said:

This is correct. It amazes me that Quinn is lauded for starting a 1st, 2nd, and 4th round pick on defense when Smitty started more undrafted AND high round picks. It wasn't playing them, which he did, it's that our picks had no talent. 

draper_sad-1.gif

'troffed.

1 hour ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

To me, the team turned on Smith after he jumped on Asante for celebrating an interception.  From then on, the team was emotionless and lethargic.

So you are saying they adapted the personality of their coach?  I agree!

4 hours ago, Diggable Birds said:

My god the Peter Konz and Lamar Holmes picks still bother me. Im 225 and i bench more than  Putrid Kons a 300+ pound man -not sure what they saw in him but it set us bck big time

Literally that whole draft bother me man. Konz, Holmes, Ewing, Massaquoi, Mitchell, Roberson... All were terrible.

Vandy likes this

On 3/19/2017 at 6:21 PM, Miller2Rison said:

We were 10 yards away from a SB under MS that we spent the next 2 seasons so focused on the playoffs we forgot how to get there, I hope Quinn has moved passed the Super Bowl and we prepare for winning in the regular season first before we even worry about the playoffs. 1 game at a time. 

Smitty didn't focus or forget about the playoffs. Thomas Dimitroff's Screw ups finally showed up. Smitty was the scape goat.

On 3/19/2017 at 6:26 PM, Vandy said:

That's not why we didn't make playoffs in 2013-14. We drafted poorly (2009-2012) to the point we got old real quick and had some unfortunate major injuries plus after 5 years of hearing the same thing over and over again the coaching got stale. 

Not gonna happen with this team. 

You Speaketh the Trutheth! 

Vandy likes this

13 hours ago, athell said:

So you are saying they adapted the personality of their coach?  I agree!

In a way. The team had a little swagger about them before that play and Smitty jumped all over Asante and next thing you know, the team really could care less, especially the defense.

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:17 PM, LightningDawg58 said:

The OP has a good point that cannot be overlooked. Everything about age and poor drafts is true BUT so is the fact that our mindset was "we were only 10 yards away" and that we didn't need much to get past those 10 yards. That mindset is what led to the bad signings and draft picks because we felt that we had a lot more room for error to back to where we were. 

Fast forward to now. The biggest reason all Super Bowl losers tend to fail to succeed the following season is that there is a false sense that they are closer to the ultimate prize than they are. We are no different. As great as we were this year we had just the right amount of luck to get us over the hump. If Arizona loses to Sea and we end up with the 3 seed instead of the 2 then a lot of things may have worked out differently. That an extra playoff game and only 1 home game instead of the bye week and 2 home games we had. I mean you just don't know. 

It is incredibly hard to make let alone win a Super Bowl. But you have to position yourself as best as possible which means not having let downs during the regular season. Winning enough games to have decent playoff seeding and still having to scrap and fight in the playoffs to win. None of that is garunteed. You have to stay hungry and understand that you are starting all over from scratch. There is no just tweak this or that. That's what leads to the hangover. You have to have the mindset that that you have everything to prove and you haven't accomplished anything yet. 

After as much work as they put in last year, its going to be so tough to get all 53 guys back on the same page. To take their games to the next level. As young as we are there are also going to players that  regress next season, that get injured, that get suspended.

We have to maintain depth and development. Players have to perform. Balls have to bounce our way. Seeding has to work out in our favor. And guys have to stay hungry and healthy 

Can we do it? Yes. And Quinn is the kind of coach I can believe in. But history is not on our side and we are going to have to work like **** to change it. 

That 2012 team was the pinnacle of a 5 year run with Smith.  Old team.  Horrid drafting & an uninspiring coach that players completely tuned out.

"History is not on our side" is such a pessimistic attitude that really means diddly ****.  Extemely happy that this regime doesn't have that same attitude.

13 hours ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Smitty didn't focus or forget about the playoffs. Thomas Dimitroff's Screw ups finally showed up. Smitty was the scape goat.

Well if you believe some of the stories out there, the draft picks and free agent screw ups were the calls of Smitty and Nolan and not TD.  Not sure if I believe it, but the past drafts and free agency periods since MS departed have been pretty gold so...