Monoxide

What are the chances that we extend Poe?

54 posts in this topic

Wanting to buy a Poe jersey for the new season but of course I'm a bit intimidated.

Give me some hope guys!

Harrison signed hefty deal last year with the Giants so figuring Poe would get more it would be hard, especially if he add to the pass rush like I expect.

TD is good with the cap and the cap is always going up, so who knows.

We would get compensation if he leaves rather we put the tag on him and somebody signs him, or he leaves straight up.

Damon Harrison signed a five year, $46.2 million contract with the New York Giants on March 9, 2016. Harrison received $24 million in guarantees, $20 million of which are fully guaranteed upon signing. Another $4 million in full guarantees will be earned if Harrison is on the Giants roster in March of 2017. Harrison received a $8 million signing bonus.

I wouldn't do it unless you're okay knowing it could very well be a 1 year purchase.

That's said I am sure DQ brought him in with the hopes of a long term deal if he balls out. He is still young as well. IMO it all comes down to Poes play. I really doubt they would spend 8-10m on a guy they had zero intention of resigning.

JT and g-dawg like this

It's a real risk. If he plays well then we likely won't be wanting to pay him upwards of 10 million a year due to having to re-sign others. If he plays badly then he won't be kept. 

There are definitely safer choices!

camfalcon likes this

if he balls out, i'd say a very good chance. I think Poe was smart going one year deal as well; gives him a chance to find a good fit after 5 years of frustration in KC.

1 hour ago, atlbaby said:

Harrison signed hefty deal last year with the Giants so figuring Poe would get more it would be hard, especially if he add to the pass rush like I expect.

TD is good with the cap and the cap is always going up, so who knows.

We would get compensation if he leaves rather we put the tag on him and somebody signs him, or he leaves straight up.

Not with TV stagnating like it has

Im thinking hes going to be an integral piece and will do well in DqS system.....id say 75 percent he comes back

all depends on how well he plays. Is he 100% healthy ? He has lots of reasons to play well but then if he plays too well ? Will he demand too much money? Right now this is a good problem . 

I would say high.  I think that he will have a great season and will demand a big contract, but I also think that Quinn will love this guy.  Levitre comes off the books next year, a well as guys like Clayborn and possibly Shelby.  

I expect us to draft a DT in the later rounds and park him on the PS......all in an effort to free-up cap space to keep Poe.  

kiwifalcon and JT like this

1 hour ago, 1989Fan said:

I wouldn't do it unless you're okay knowing it could very well be a 1 year purchase.

That's said I am sure DQ brought him in with the hopes of a long term deal if he balls out. He is still young as well. IMO it all comes down to Poes play. I really doubt they would spend 8-10m on a guy they had zero intention of resigning.

This! Poe balls out and Really puts this pass rush on the map like many are expecting....there's no way Poe won't be a top priority next off season.

Quinn's not going to let him go and allow the line to take a step back if they indeed take a huge step forward. Just don't believe Poe was signed to be a 1 year rental.

17 minutes ago, etherdome said:

I would say high.  I think that he will have a great season and will demand a big contract, but I also think that Quinn will love this guy.  Levitre comes off the books next year, a well as guys like Clayborn and possibly Shelby.  

I expect us to draft a DT in the later rounds and park him on the PS......all in an effort to free-up cap space to keep Poe.  

I think we may be able to get levitre back at a much cheaper price after next season however I hope we land big on a RG that has an very solid and strong year and is already placed on atleast a 2 or 3 year deal this season coming up. 

I think the chances are pretty good that he is extended.  If he leaves for a huge deal elsewhere, we get a 3rd comp pick. Win/win.

3 hours ago, quotemokc said:

If he plays lights out then I doubt we could afford him.

However I won't be sad because we will have a Lombardi to comfort us. :ninja:

And this is the Main reason why I am ALL for drafting another young DT protege(not in the 1st and probably not the 2nd either), because I don't think he is staying long here. 

Slappywhite likes this

3 hours ago, quotemokc said:

If he plays lights out then I doubt we could afford him.

However I won't be sad because we will have a Lombardi to comfort us. :ninja:

Why wouldnt we be able to afford him if he balls out? We are already paying him up to $10 million on a limited budget - next season we will have way more cap flexibility. If he plays well there are plenty of guys that I would let walk or not re-sign before Poe if it ever came to that.

Falconsin2012 and Birdy Dird like this

I'd be wary.. if he does what we want him to do.. I think he prices himself out of Atlanta.  Keep in mind in the next 2 years we'll have new contracts for Ryan, Freeman,  Jake Matthews, Levitre(If we keep), Beasley, and Trufant.  

I honestly don't think they extend him. I think they are comfortable with a 1 year deal. Let him ball out and help this D but replace him with a younger less expensive guy next year. I wouldn't be surprised if they draft his replacement this year and let him learn behind him for a year

Slappywhite likes this

I say you extend him. It's about time we start spending more money on the defensive side of the ball. For what going in 6-7 years most of our cap has gone to the offense. Time to even that out. Of course Ryan and Julio are a big part of that but I don't want to neglect the lines either. 

PK Manley likes this