• Vertical:
    36 in.
  • Broad Jump:
    10' 03"
  • 20 yd shuttle:
  • 3 cone:

Jason Pierre Paul

Overview

Pierre-Paul is coming off a big year for the Bulls defense in his first season in the program. Pierre-Paul has a great frame to add additional bulk and strength which should improve him as a run defender. He shows natural quickness and anticipation as an edge rusher and has an expanded package to counter effectively. Pierre-Paul is a disruptive player with good range to run down plays from the backside but lacks the strength at the point of attack to stop the run. He will need to improve his hand use, pad level, strength and technique in this phase of the game at the next level but should fit in well in a 4-3 defensive scheme.

Strengths

Pierre-Paul has the size, frame and athleticism coveted in a 4-3 defensive end. He was highly productive in his one season at the Football Bowl Subdivision level. Exhibits impressive speed and quickness off the ball as a pass rusher and good long range in run pursuit. Does not have any durability concerns.

Weaknesses

He’s a taller, leaner end who needs to watch his pad level. Power at the point must improve in order to hold up at the point of attack at the next level but possesses the frame to add bulk. Has played for three different football programs including just one season of major college football.

Daeshon Hall

Strengths

Has experience at wide-9, 5-technique and as an outside linebacker. Frame filled out at a rapid rate over last few seasons at A&M. Coaches believe he can add and sustain even more muscle. Has length and average quickness to dart into gaps and breach the flow of the play. Has tools to become better edge setter with more strength. One year of defensive line play makes him moldable for NFL coaches. Has decent bend-and-rip rush move. Has shown ability to get skinny and wedge between double-team blocks. Flexible upper body along with coordinated work between hands and feet suggest future improvements as interior rusher. Effort player who hustles his way into tackles.

Weaknesses

Still learning to play lower and drop anchor at the point of attack. Will get bounced around and widened out of the gap by size. Needs weight work to supplement average contact balance. Washed down by redirect blocks too easily. Needs to become more commanding and authoritative with his hands. Pad level too high and too welcoming for opposing blockers. Appears to have lost a little foot quickness with addition of weight over final two college seasons. Needs to prove he has toughness to play as a 3-4 defensive end.

Sources Tell Us

"Daeshon Hall is a name that is going to get hot. I didn't think he had starting potential when he was an outside 'backer. Now that he's bigger and stronger and playing with his hand down, I think he's a different player. I see him as a second-day (Rounds 2-3) guy." -- AFC scout

Bottom Line

Possesses the physical traits, versatility and effort to become an intriguing Day 2 selection, but teams might have to wait on Hall as he is still learning to play with a hand on the ground and needs to continue adding mass to his frame. Hall is nothing special as an edge rusher but has the talent to become an interesting interior rusher as a 3-4 defensive end. If he has enough ruggedness to handle full-time work in the trenches, he could become an eventual starter. The arrow is pointed up, but over-drafting the traits could prove to be a mistake.
Cole World likes this

Just now, atlbaby said:

Weaknesses

Still learning to play lower and drop anchor at the point of attack. Will get bounced around and widened out of the gap by size. Needs weight work to supplement average contact balance. Washed down by redirect blocks too easily. Needs to become more commanding and authoritative with his hands. Pad level too high and too welcoming for opposing blockers. Appears to have lost a little foot quickness with addition of weight over final two college seasons. Needs to prove he has toughness to play as a 3-4 defensive end.

Incorrect statement. Hall last two seasons at college station was his best two.

1 hour ago, HEIST said:

From Kayoh's thread. I think this is as close as you're gonna get as far as athletic comparisons go

33ba3e6fd22f0c63debd3078d02ec64d.png

Yeah it's a 91.9% match according to mockdraftable. That's the highest I've seen between two players.

Cole World likes this

1 hour ago, PK Manley said:

How many fingers does he have though?

I'll raise you how many continuious back flips can he do.

JPP was an athletic freak coming out.

He's ok and I wouldn't cry if we drafted him. I am just not very high on him personally, but I see why you all are. Its just on his highlights even, I am like...meh. Tanoh is the same meh to me, but he is likely the pick. If I could wish things into existence it would be Lawson at DE in the first or second, but alas.

kiwifalcon likes this

2 hours ago, Knight of God said:

He's ok and I wouldn't cry if we drafted him. I am just not very high on him personally, but I see why you all are. Its just on his highlights even, I am like...meh. Tanoh is the same meh to me, but he is likely the pick. If I could wish things into existence it would be Lawson at DE in the first or second, but alas.

Really hope it's not KPass.  Just don't see the elite athleticism.  Great length, but I'm wary of only that without quick feet.

Knight of God likes this

7 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

Really hope it's not KPass.  Just don't see the elite athleticism.  Great length, but I'm wary of only that without quick feet.

Comparisons are king. He looks enough like JPP I suppose.

8 hours ago, Knight of God said:

For once I disagree with you lol I'm not a Lawson fan. He's strong as a bull ox; but I find his movement average and he's not very long. I like him more in that Pittsburgh type of defense. Big bully. Plus his injury history is not pretty

Knight of God and RandomFan like this

2 hours ago, MSalmon said:

For once I disagree with you lol I'm not a Lawson fan. He's strong as a bull ox; but I find his movement average and he's not very long. I like him more in that Pittsburgh type of defense. Big bully. Plus his injury history is not pretty

I feel you. I'm not looking at the edge only, but moving inside.

MSalmon likes this

Just now, Knight of God said:

I feel you. I'm not looking at the edge only, but moving inside.

you think that he's stout enough to move inside? Please elaborate, you're a great scout....so i'd like to re-watch him armed with what you see.

Knight of God likes this

10 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Comparisons are king. He looks enough like JPP I suppose.

I'm actually fine with comparisons (don't love them) when it's based on people's athleticism type and their playing style.  Sometimes that can be useful.

But just on how they look?  Lazy and dangerous as a scout.

KPass has the 3 cone of a 330 lb DT.  He'd need to be able to overpower and overwhelm his OT going straight ahead, it doesn't look like he'll be able to do much around them.  And he doesn't seem to have the power to do that.

But every long blonde haired OLB is Clay Matthews, so what do I know?

Knight of God likes this

2 hours ago, MSalmon said:

you think that he's stout enough to move inside? Please elaborate, you're a great scout....so i'd like to re-watch him armed with what you see.

He is very stout, quick, and fast. He is pretty versatile. Hall became the go to name on the boards for the fill in the blank DE. He just isn't that good. Neither is Tanoh.

11 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

He is very stout, quick, and fast. He is pretty versatile. Hall became the go to name on the boards for the fill in the blank DE. He just isn't that good. Neither is Tanoh.

I like Hall; but i'm projecting what he could be. I don't think he's a 10-12 sack guy; but I think he can grow into a nice base DE rotational guy.

I'm not a Lawson fan, but you're a good scout. So I could be wrong.

TK is all projection and he's a 5 tech of DT. Not an edge guy, at all

Knight of God likes this