TonyMartin80

Would The Falcons have been better off keeping Hester over Weeks in 2016?

34 posts in this topic

I know JD McKissic would be best long term option but it seems like our #1 weakness was we did not have a playmaker on returns. Hester played well in post season.

I don't know about Hester, after looking it up, apparently we saved about 2 million by letting him go... but I was not a fan of Weems as a returner at all.  I just feel like we had plenty of players that could do what he was doing back there.

2 hours ago, GATXBOI said:

I say no because he went thru three teams last year

Us, Baltimore and Seattle.

I was watching Seattle vs Atlanta playoff game and I can't get over how good he looked vs us. I wish he was on our team and Weems on Seattle. But we save 2 million as previous poster said. 

Don't know why we were in love with Weems in the first place.  I told people at the beginning of the year that his horrible return skills could cost us games.  He was just as bad the last time we had him returning balls.

Weems is fantastic in the punt/kick coverage game.  That's why he went to the pro-bowl.  But he's horrible as a returner.

Returner who is always looking to return the Kickoff/Punt vs someone who is scared to return the ball and lets if get downed inside the 5 to many times.

Edited by Brehus
TonyMartin80 likes this

43 minutes ago, Jesus said:

The team just signed a decent returner and did not resign Weems. Time to move on from these conversations.

Who did they sign?

It's hard to think about next year until draft and schedule are out.

45 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

Who cares? Forget 2016 let's look forward to 2017

We still got 6 months to week 1. I wish it was Week 1 but until then what else is there to talk about?

I'll take Andre Roberts over both at this point in there careers. I'm sure we'll draft a guy with return ability or sign a UDFA to compete with Roberts/Fuller and be a cheap long term option 

21 minutes ago, TonyMartin80 said:

We still got 6 months to week 1. I wish it was Week 1 but until then what else is there to talk about?

FA, the draft. 2017 has already started.

18 hours ago, TonyMartin80 said:

I was watching Seattle vs Atlanta playoff game and I can't get over how good he looked vs us. I wish he was on our team and Weems on Seattle. But we save 2 million as previous poster said. 

He was just mad at us for having let him go last year (anger fuels a lot in one's blood).  I thought the guy was good but certainly in decline and really not worth the price.  Any other team he would have probably fumbled at least once or done a couple of touchbacks more.

21 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

He was just mad at us for having let him go last year (anger fuels a lot in one's blood).  I thought the guy was good but certainly in decline and really not worth the price.  Any other team he would have probably fumbled at least once or done a couple of touchbacks more.

WE win the superbowl if he was returning kicks. 

9 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

WE win the superbowl if he was returning kicks. 

That's what I was thinking. We never had that big play guy on special teams.

3 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

Seattle didn't

What does that have to do with anything? I didn't say he would have been the MVP, but Hester gives you one good return every game he gets a chance. We were a good return away from winning. He is the best ever, even though he just doesn't have that breakaway speed, but he does, and always will have the best vision of anyone to ever return kicks. I'm not saying we shouldn't  have cut him, but you can't ignore the offensive side of special teams. Special teams wins games, but is over looked and over rated. The highest scorer is always the place kicker.(Willing to bet the top ten point scorers are by place kickers.) Seattle knew we were better and that's why they signed him as they knew they would have to put up a lot of points against an increasingly physical, and opportunistic defense. I feel we  should have signed him before Seattle. I don't see why a seasoned vet would be mad at ATL at all, because by now the man knows the NFL is all about money, and nothing is personal. You think he wouldn't want to win a ring with his homies in the ATL where he played, and bonded with everyone? I just think it was dumb as we knew Weems gave us nothing offensively. I will never understand why Gabriel didn't return kicks in the Superbowl. Hindsight is always 20/20 is suppose.

TonyMartin80 likes this

Although the outcome with him is obviously unknown, we would have been a stronger team with him ...and he was available.

Hester was a returner BUT was he ever a gunner???

There are several players on the team that could replace Weems as the Kick/punt returner.--Andre Roberts, Fuller, Hardy,  some of the DBs ---etc

But as the special teams gunner  who do they have  now ???

Reynolds maybe-- but who else??