Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gazoo

Are Quinn and TD getting ready for a Pats- Falcons Super Bowl Rematch?

70 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, 4dabirds said:

Football 101 in the second half could have won the game for the Falcons. Yes, the defense was gassed, and so was the Falcon OL. Yes, the Pats, made some great plays. However, play calling on the Falcons part was not what you do when you have a sizable lead. Twice the Falcons could have extended 2 drives on short run plays, and they opted to keep passing the ball and it led to points for the Pats. The Falcons did not go after the clock, and they had enough opportunities to do it. Not to mention the length of time that went on with last series of the first half and half time show, should have had the Falcons running the ball right out of the gate. I don't know why the coaching staff did not see the numbers in front of them. The Falcons were successfully running the ball. The defense had already been on the field for a long time. Just run the ball, and set up the pass by keeping the Pat defense in run protection. Our OC thought he was being aggressive, but instead became one dimensional, and hung a defense that had already played over its head, out to dry. 

I agree with having more depth on the OL to preserve some stamina, but coaches can't suddenly start making boneheaded decisions in a big game against a coach who is a mastermind at his profession. Just run the ball, kick the ball, and win he game. How do you not see your gassed out D on the sidelines. How the **** do you get into the shotgun on the 22 yard line for a pass attempt with the clock winding down. The Falcons Coaching Staff lost their focus in this game, and lost the game. 

A little long-winded, but This is pretty much it in a nutshell. 

Edited by Vandy
RoddyWhite84 likes this

2 hours ago, etherdome said:

I see these stats and they pretty much corroborate what I saw during the games.  We did not have the interior OL to run that ball between the tackles when everyone in the house knew that we needed to get 1st  downs and chew up the clock.  

We lost the Super Bowl and nearly every playoff over the past few years due to weakness along the OL.  

With regards to the Gazoo's point:   Yes.  Poe and Jarrett are expected to collapse the pocket.....especially in the 4th quarter, when we usually have a lead.  

Coaching lost this game, not OL play. 

One thing that hasn't been mentioned. If you'd have a seriously painful ankle injury you can get a few days rest on it, get a shot before game and play a while at a reasonably high level. But once you sit back down for 45 minutes and start playing on it again the pain is twice as bad as start of game as injury has flared up by then. 

The play of Mack and Shraeder  plummeted in second half. To suggest this didn't have any impact on the outcome of the game is incorrect.

there is no single reason we lost  the game.

Vandy likes this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned. If you'd have a seriously painful ankle injury you can get a few days rest on it, get a shot before game and play a while at a reasonably high level. But once you sit back down for 45 minutes and start playing on it again the pain is twice as bad as start of game as injury has flared up by then. 

The play of Mack and Shraeder  plummeted in second half. To suggest this didn't have any impact on the outcome of the game is incorrect.

Sure there is my friend....bad situational coaching is THE reason we lost.

Everything else  is commentary.  

Edited by Vandy
gazoo likes this

47 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Sure there is my friend....bad situational coaching is THE reason we lost.

Everything is is commentary.  

I will, agree with this, coaching underperformed to their abilities and expectations, the defense overperformed until they got gassed ( not their fault at all they got gassed) and offense perfermoned at their high level until second half when the injuries severely impacted our offensive lines ability to block.

the said, the component that let us down given the circumstances was absolutely coaching so from that standpoint your argument is sound.

Vandy and UnrealfalcoN like this

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, gazoo said:

I will, agree with this, coaching underperformed to their abilities and expectations, the defense overperformed until they got gassed ( not their fault at all they got gassed) and offense perfermoned at their high level until second half when the injuries severely impacted our offensive lines ability to block.

the said, the component that let us down given the circumstances was absolutely coaching so from that standpoint your argument is sound.

Hey, At least you didn't throw any of your big words at me this time..you know how sensitive I can get sometimes...

:)

Edited by Vandy
RoddyWhite84 and gazoo like this

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Coaching lost this game, not OL play. 

You are right.

OL injuries set us back in the second half.  Coaching decisions lost the game.

Vandy likes this

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

I mentioned that in a post just after the game.  Mack is a warrior, but he is still human.

Schraeder aggravated a ligamental strain in one of his knees.  He played until he simply could not continue.  

Our guys gave their heart and souls to the effort.  

That makes our HC's blunder all the more painful.  Don't get me wrong, I still support him and believe in him, I just can't shake the loss.   

Vandy and gazoo like this

1 minute ago, etherdome said:

I mentioned that in a post just after the game.  Mack is a warrior, but he is still human.

Schraeder aggravated a ligamental strain in one of his knees.  He played until he simply could not continue.  

Our guys gave their heart and souls to the effort.  

That makes our HC's blunder all the more painful.  Don't get me wrong, I still support him and believe in him, I just can't shake the loss.   

You're not alone, ether...I haven't shook it yet either. 

RoddyWhite84 likes this

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

Hey, At least you didn't throw any of your big words at me this time..you know how sensitive I can get sometimes...

:)

I just felt it was time for me to stop being pedantic ;)

papachaz and Vandy like this

On 3/18/2017 at 10:28 AM, Tandy said:

No, we could have stopped Brady in this game by being efficient in play calling and if our offense could have held up.   We left the defense on the field too long

If they don't do something to shore up the offensive line so they can hold on for 60 minutes a game instead of dying out in the 4th quarter - then we are in the same boat.

I love what they've done - but they have to address depth and stamina on the OL.

Agree. Offensive snafu was problem, not defense. TMQ is poising team for sustained greatness. PS: Everyone of you who've said Atlanta couldn't have won SB and Patriots are the Greatest need to take a permanent break from board.

Tandy likes this

14 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Watch out now .....!

gazoo likes this

On 3/18/2017 at 1:28 PM, Tandy said:

No, we could have stopped Brady in this game by being efficient in play calling and if our offense could have held up.   We left the defense on the field too long

If they don't do something to shore up the offensive line so they can hold on for 60 minutes a game instead of dying out in the 4th quarter - then we are in the same boat.

I love what they've done - but they have to address depth and stamina on the OL.

not to try to be argumentative, but when you start the game with your all pro starting center having a broken bone in one leg, and your right tackle goes down during the game, that's not really a stamina issue. 

I do agree with every thing else you said, the D was on the field too long, and our depth wasn't exactly adequate, those things really need to be addressed a little bit more in the rest of the offseason

14 hours ago, gazoo said:

so you're say that "I give lengthy responses" is an alternate account for you????  :ninja:

or would it be 'teach and educate'   :lol::lol:

maybe you could just go with 'veryverbose', 'grabadictionarybeforereading' or something like that :troll:

gazoo likes this

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 1:28 PM, Tandy said:

Agree.

11 hours ago, papachaz said:

not to try to be argumentative, but when you start the game with your all pro starting center having a broken bone in one leg, and your right tackle goes down during the game, that's not really a stamina issue. 

I do agree with every thing else you said, the D was on the field too long, and our depth wasn't exactly adequate, those things really need to be addressed a little bit more in the rest of the offseason

Nothing argumentative there - that's why depth is as important as stamina.

papachaz likes this

On 3/18/2017 at 1:24 PM, gazoo said:

It looks to me the Falcons are preparing for another matchup with the Patriots in the 2017 Super Bowl.

The ONLY way to stop Brady and that offense is the get interior pressure so Brady can't step forward in pocket and kill you with those short passes. We saw before our defense got gassed in Super Bowl how well we were penetrating and causing Brady problems. It was only once Brady could throw without pressure in his face that he started playing better in that game.  Poe ads the interior pentetration component to go along with Baby Tuggle. I've heard Quinn mention interior pressure countless times since the Super Bowl loss.

With interior pressure robbing Brady from the ability to step forward to avoid edge rushers and get rid of ball in 2.5 seconds or less, this causes Brady to have to stay back looking for targets and gives our edge rushers time to affect him. It's the only way to stop Brady.

Poe and Grady BOTH  get interior pressure. Collectively playing alongside each other this is much more a threat to offensive lines  than if only one DT can get constant penetration throughout a game. You simply can't double them both all the time. In my opinion Poe is almost as a big of a signing in terms of the impact it will have on our defense as a whole as Mack was to our offense last year, both anchoring the center of the lines. Mack made everyone me better.

This signing is huge. You have to look past just how Poe plays and look at how his skill set fits into the rest of the chess pieces. 

Obviously Poe helps against any opponent but it appears to me we may be getting ready for a rematch.

I think they are preparing for life in the NFC South. Cam is consistently derailed by pressure. Brees forces the ball  under pressure. Winston is getting more experience and a WR2 to compliment Evans. It just so happens, the formula is universal. Push the center of the OL, get quick pressure off the edges, and have six or seven athletic guys with their eyes forward hawking mistakes. 

1 hour ago, falcndave said:

I think they are preparing for life in the NFC South. Cam is consistently derailed by pressure. Brees forces the ball  under pressure. Winston is getting more experience and a WR2 to compliment Evans. It just so happens, the formula is universal. Push the center of the OL, get quick pressure off the edges, and have six or seven athletic guys with their eyes forward hawking mistakes. 

I think it's both. The easiest way to get to the Super Bowl for a rematch with Pats is to win the NFCS 

DirtyBird8711 likes this

On 3/18/2017 at 1:28 PM, Tandy said:

agree Tandy but yes the Def is going to wear down when playing that many snaps, the Offense wasnt on the field that long needing to "hold up" stamina wise they were OK it was injuries no allowing them to play the way we need to and kept us from continueing to score.  They should not tire out when we are scoring this quickly all game, we need depth when guys get hurt, **** really hit the fan when ryan went down because Compton got whipped from the beginning, and to that point, your tackles often dont play "well" in super bowls because those superior athletes are pushing in ways they dont see in regular season, the DEF ends are rushing and bending to the point of injuring themselves which is why that pass rush wins championships - in that game the tackles arent usually going to just own the pass rushers all game.