Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gazoo

Are Quinn and TD getting ready for a Pats- Falcons Super Bowl Rematch?

70 posts in this topic

It looks to me the Falcons are preparing for another matchup with the Patriots in the 2017 Super Bowl.

The ONLY way to stop Brady and that offense is the get interior pressure so Brady can't step forward in pocket and kill you with those short passes. We saw before our defense got gassed in Super Bowl how well we were penetrating and causing Brady problems. It was only once Brady could throw without pressure in his face that he started playing better in that game.  Poe ads the interior pentetration component to go along with Baby Tuggle. I've heard Quinn mention interior pressure countless times since the Super Bowl loss.

With interior pressure robbing Brady from the ability to step forward to avoid edge rushers and get rid of ball in 2.5 seconds or less, this causes Brady to have to stay back looking for targets and gives our edge rushers time to affect him. It's the only way to stop Brady.

Poe and Grady BOTH  get interior pressure. Collectively playing alongside each other this is much more a threat to offensive lines  than if only one DT can get constant penetration throughout a game. You simply can't double them both all the time. In my opinion Poe is almost as a big of a signing in terms of the impact it will have on our defense as a whole as Mack was to our offense last year, both anchoring the center of the lines. Mack made everyone me better.

This signing is huge. You have to look past just how Poe plays and look at how his skill set fits into the rest of the chess pieces. 

Obviously Poe helps against any opponent but it appears to me we may be getting ready for a rematch.

No, we could have stopped Brady in this game by being efficient in play calling and if our offense could have held up.   We left the defense on the field too long

If they don't do something to shore up the offensive line so they can hold on for 60 minutes a game instead of dying out in the 4th quarter - then we are in the same boat.

I love what they've done - but they have to address depth and stamina on the OL.

I like Poe, but it's still tbd how effective he is at creating pressure. I think he averages less than 1 hurry/game.

SamMills51 likes this

In the regular season of 2016 - here is our scoring for and against by quarter

1ST QTR   139-61  +78 POINTS

2ND QTR   148-110   +38 POINTS

3RD QTR   128-52    +76 POINTS

4TH QTR     102-148   -46 POINTS

Superbowl followed the same pattern

1st QTR 0-0

2nd qtr 21-3

3rd qtr 7-6

4th qtr 0-19

Now, some of the regular season stuff had to do with the prevent defense - but our offense was to remain dominant during this reign.   I can attribute some to pulling Ryan out in a couple of games - but the difference is still stark.

10 minutes ago, Tandy said:

No, we could have stopped Brady in this game by being efficient in play calling and if our offense could have held up.   We left the defense on the field too long

If they don't do something to shore up the offensive line so they can hold on for 60 minutes a game instead of dying out in the 4th quarter - then we are in the same boat.

I love what they've done - but they have to address depth and stamina on the OL.

Oh, I agree to root cause of the loss was our offense couldn't stay on field enough along with some terrible play calling.  

We had our 3 best OL playing injured and it severely impacted our ability to dominate as we had all year.  We were finding ourselves in a lot of second and longs with our backs getting hit quicker than they were most of the year.  Our 3 best OL were playing on one leg after first quarter. Mack was severely limited and Shraeder tore a ligament in his ankle late frost quarter and was getting abused after that. Mathews was never the same after the Kansas City game injury to his ankle.

That said, interior pressure was causing Brady to play like @&$ most of the game until our defense could no longer collapse the pocket. The addition of another interior DT that can get penetration alongside Grady is going to make our defense go from good to really, really good IMO. If we get another edge rusher we could go from really, really good to absolutely dominating IMO.

Vandy, capitan and Tandy like this

3 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Oh, I agree to root cause of the loss was our offense couldn't stay on field enough.  We had our 3 best OL playing injured and it severely impacted our ability to dominate as we had all year. 

That said, interior pressure was causing Brady to play like @&$ most of the game until our defense could no longer collapse the pocket. The addition of another interior DT that can get penetration alongside Grady is going to make our defense go from good to really, really good IMO. If we get another edge rusher we could go from really, really good to absolutely dominating IMO.

I love the addition - and I think it's all part of Quinn's game plan.   He couldn't build the team in one or two off-seasons - it takes time.   He's putting "his" kind of players on the team - and Poe is a fit here.    

I just think the pressure could have held up if the offense had done their part.   Let's face it though - it didn't matter because coaching screwed the pooch with less than 5 minutes in the game and the opportunity to run the clock and go up another score.    Situational football - that's where we failed.

2 minutes ago, Tandy said:

I love the addition - and I think it's all part of Quinn's game plan.   He couldn't build the team in one or two off-seasons - it takes time.   He's putting "his" kind of players on the team - and Poe is a fit here.    

I just think the pressure could have held up if the offense had done their part.   Let's face it though - it didn't matter because coaching screwed the pooch with less than 5 minutes in the game and the opportunity to run the clock and go up another score.    Situational football - that's where we failed.

I agree Tandy. Our defense absolutely could have kept it up had our offense been able to burn more clock on our scoring drives. No defense could have kept playing at a high level with the lopsided TOP we had.

Tandy, PokerSteve and capitan like this

Think it's designed to help beat all teams.  Our defense wasn't very good early in the year, and improved a lot toward the end, as the DL improved.

I want them to have 4 guys at DL who can penetrate, and just keep bringing them in waves.  It doesn't matter what the offensive plan is if DTs keep getting in the backfield.  It destroys plans.

gazoo and capitan like this

10 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

I'd say it's more about stopping DAL or a team that can control game tempo through their run game.

I think it's both actually. I just know Quinn keep talking about interior penetration since Super Bowl, and brings it up even more in relation to the Poe signing.

Obviously that helps both run and pass defense.

41 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

Think it's designed to help beat all teams.  Our defense wasn't very good early in the year, and improved a lot toward the end, as the DL improved.

I want them to have 4 guys at DL who can penetrate, and just keep bringing them in waves.  It doesn't matter what the offensive plan is if DTs keep getting in the backfield.  It destroys plans.

As I eluded to above yes, it helps against all teams. My point is it especially helps against the Pats. In fact, it's about the only way to beat them with few exceptions over the years I've watched them.

Vandy likes this

53 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I'm thrilled we got Poe, he will make everyone on D (especially our young LBers) better...

but We lost super bowl because of awful situational coaching in 4th quarter, not because of interior DL play.

As I eluded to above yes, defense was not he reason we love all game. But defense is Quinn's speciality and he's been beating the drum of interior pressure on defense since SB loss and is now saying that's what he likes so much about Poe.

i thin go on to posit the addition when looked at in conjunction with the other pieces on defense will be almost as influential as the Mack signing on interior of OL. Mack made Chester and Levitre better which helped out OTs.

i believe Poe makes Grady and Beasley much better and if we get another edge rusher I think our defense can be dominant

Vandy likes this

2 minutes ago, gazoo said:

As I eluded to above yes, it helps against all teams. My point is it especially helps against the Pats. In fact, it's about the only way to beat them with few exceptions over the years I've watched them.

Understand the point.  And it is the clear way to beat the Pats.

I was more getting at that it was an active weakness of the team last year, so the improvement will help the defense week in and week out.  Even on the non-quick release QBs, it will make them step back instead of forward, for Beasley et al to finish off.

But yes, with Brady, you'd better get pressure in his face, and prevent YAC to get anywhere with them.

Vandy and gazoo like this

6 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

Understand the point.  And it is the clear way to beat the Pats.

I was more getting at that it was an active weakness of the team last year, so the improvement will help the defense week in and week out.  Even on the non-quick release QBs, it will make them step back instead of forward, for Beasley et al to finish off.

But yes, with Brady, you'd better get pressure in his face, and prevent YAC to get anywhere with them.

I'm with you 100% on that analysis. 

I am going to stay away from the phrase "prolific defense" but I think we can be dominant if we get one more edge rusher. Our secondary will probably be the best in the NFL collectively including NB and DB

whos secondary wi have the overall talent level of Trufant, Alford, Collins, Poole, Neal and Allen?

Vandy likes this

1 minute ago, gazoo said:

As I eluded to above yes, defense was not he reason we love all game. But defense is Quinn's speciality and he's been beating the drum of interior pressure on defense since SB loss and is now saying that's what he likes so much about Poe.

i thin go on to posit the addition when looked at in conjunction with the other pieces on defense will be almost as influential as the Mack signing on interior of OL. Mack made Chester and Levitre better which helped out OTs 

I hear you, and agree completely.  My only complaint is we couldn't lock him up for more than one year like we did mack, I hate one year deals to (still young) players.

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I hear you, and agree completely.  My only complaint is we couldn't lock him up for more than one year like we did mack, I hate one year deals to (still young) players.

If Poe balls out we'll have the inside on resigning him I'd hope. I wonder if the one year is simply to make sure that disk surgery doesn't become an issue? 

Vandy and capitan like this

Just now, gazoo said:

If Poe balls out we'll have the inside on resigning him I'd hope. I wonder if the one year is simply to make sure that disk surgery doesn't become an issue? 

Probably some on our part, but maybe more him seeing we have all the pieces for another SB appearance and thinking he's healthy and about to have a huge year and will hit the motherload payday next offseason?

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, gazoo said:

I agree Tandy. Our defense absolutely could have kept it up had our offense been able to burn more clock on our scoring drives. No defense could have kept playing at a high level with the lopsided TOP we had.

Poe signing will have the impact on defense that Mack had on offense. We ain't soft in the middle on either side of the ball anymore.

Edited by Charles Lindberg
falconsrus, capitan and gazoo like this

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Probably some on our part, but maybe more him seeing we have all the pieces for another SB appearance and thinking he's healthy and about to have a huge year and will hit the motherload payday next offseason?

You know what though, if he beasts in our defense less risk paying him major bucks next year than having the opposite happen like with Byrd in New Orleans.

Also, if he beasts out and we lose him we'll potentially get a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick.

capitan, Vandy and PokerSteve like this

1 minute ago, gazoo said:

You know what though, if he beasts in our defense less risk paying him major bucks next year than having the opposite happen like with Byrd in New Orleans.

Also, if he beasts out and we lose him we'll potentially get a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick.

Either way, all good problems to have my friend. Just think, we almost made the mistake with Byrd, everyone thought Loomis/Payton were so smart at the time.....

we have the makings on a dynasty here ... 

Just now, Vandy said:

Either way, all good problems to have my friend. Just think, we almost made the mistake with Byrd, everyone thought Loomis/Payton were so smart at the time.....

we have the makings on a dynasty here ... 

Indutibably!

Vandy likes this

I think the Patriots saw we were better and that's why they went the route they went in FA. They are preparing for facing us again. Getting a CB they feel can match up with our WRs and another WR with speed to counter is getting Tru back. 

Charles Lindberg and gazoo like this