Falconsfan567

Matt Ryan Sucks So Bad....

61 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, raysnill1 said:

it still pisses me off that Ryan went 17/23, 284 yds, 2 TD 0 INTs in the Super Bowl and lost.

And that Ryan is getting all the blame for the Falcons blowing a 28-3 lead.

4 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

And that Ryan is getting all the blame for the Falcons blowing a 28-3 lead.

Quinn/Shanny deserve the bulk of the blame, although Ryan deserves some of the blame too though, IMO. 

slimjim likes this

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Quinn/Shanny deserve the bulk of the blame, although Ryan deserves some of the blame too though, IMO. 

Fair enough. I still think most of the players did best they could with the decisions of playcalling, given the obvious turn along the LOS battle. Writing was on the wall with snap counts for each side of the ball.

Vandy likes this

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

I think if you want to place blame on Ryan then its because he didn't override the coaches and just run the ball at the end. That's the difference between Ryan and guys like Peyton and Brady. There's certain situations where the player needs to override the coaching because the coaching is ridiculously wrong. The end of the Super Bowl is one of those moments. I have always wished Ryan was more assertive with the coaching staff when necessary.

raysnill1, slimjim and Vandy like this

17 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I think if you want to place blame on Ryan then its because he didn't override the coaches and just run the ball at the end. That's the difference between Ryan and guys like Peyton and Brady. There's certain situations where the player needs to override the coaching because the coaching is ridiculously wrong. The end of the Super Bowl is one of those moments. I have always wished Ryan was more assertive with the coaching staff when necessary.

Exactly. Plus run the fricking playclock down to close to -0- in 4th quarter before you snap the ball, it drove me nuts snapping thr ball with 15 seconds still on the play clock. It's the 'little things' like that which makes me scratch my head sometimes on Ryan. 

slimjim and Falconsfan567 like this

11 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Exactly. Plus run the fricking playclock down to close to -0- in 4th quarter before you snap the ball, it drove me nuts snapping thr ball with 15 seconds still on the play clock. It's the 'little things' like that which makes me scratch my head sometimes on Ryan. 

Yeah. I didn't even realize they were doing that. I just assumed that they would have been smarter than that.

slimjim and Vandy like this

52 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I think Ryan will be given more control of the offense under Sark. as much as I didn't like Mularkey's scheme, he put a lot of trust in Matt and let him take control when he got in a good rhythm.

Vandy, gazoo, slimjim and 1 other like this

31 minutes ago, raysnill1 said:

I think Ryan will be given more control of the offense under Sark. as much as I didn't like Mularkey's scheme, he put a lot of trust in Matt and let him take control when he got in a good rhythm.

If you can stomach it 567, re-watch 4th quarter and how much time was left on playclock when we snapped the ball. bet we could have run clock down another minute + with better play clock management. 

No way NE comes back if we do that, run ball after pass to Julio and then kick FG. No freaking way. 

slimjim likes this

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I disagree.  Guys like Peyton and Brady don't buck the coaches either.    You have to go back to Favre - although maybe Cutler to find those guys.   

Ryan does what he's told.  So does Brady and so did Peyton.   They'd ***** and moan and yell at the coaches - but on the field - they did/do what they are/were

gazoo and DirtyBird8711 like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Tandy said:

I disagree.  Guys like Peyton and Brady don't buck the coaches either.    You have to go back to Favre - although maybe Cutler to find those guys.   

Ryan does what he's told.  So does Brady and so did Peyton.   They'd ***** and moan and yell at the coaches - but on the field - they did/do what they are/were

Come on, Tandy. You don't think brady or manning or Rodgers or frankly any other elite QB at least calls a time out and ask the coaches what the fuk are we doing passing the ball in an obvious running situation to set up winning FG.....To at least make sure Everyone was on the same page?

Edited by Vandy
Falconsfan567 likes this

17 minutes ago, Vandy said:

If you can stomach it 567, re-watch 4th quarter and how much time was left on playclock when we snapped the ball. bet we could have run clock down another minute + with better play clock management. 

No way NE comes back if we do that, run ball after pass to Julio and then kick FG. No freaking way. 

I've talked about that with some other folks.  As I recall (won't ever watch that game again until we win a ring).  The Patriots tied the game with 47 seconds left on the clock.  Run the clock down to 1 second 4 times in the 4th & ball game. 

I don't blame this on Ryan however.  I think Shanny was in the "lets get the defense on their heels & score, score, score as fast as we can" mentality.  Unfortunately it was a gamble that backfired.

Vandy, gazoo and Falconsfan567 like this

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

NE scored the game tying TD with like 49 seconds left. That is what is so sickening about the entire situation.

Vandy and Godzilla1985 like this

59 minutes ago, Tandy said:

I disagree. Brady and Peyton would have taken charge of the situation, or at the very least taken a timeout to chew out the coaches. When has Matt Ryan ever got into an argument with a coach on the sideline during the game? I have never seen it.

According to Finneran he did just that, but as Finn said, Shanny made the call and Ryan had to follow and Peyton nor Brady would have done differently.    

I remember @fatboy talking about this too.   

Don't forget too that Ryan lost his helmet communication and had to waste a time out for that too and then reportedly was screaming for them to run the ****ed ball

gazoo likes this

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I disagree. Brady and Peyton would have taken charge of the situation, or at the very least taken a timeout to chew out the coaches. When has Matt Ryan ever got into an argument with a coach on the sideline during the game? I have never seen it.

I have seen it more than once.   

falconidae likes this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Tandy said:

According to Finneran he did just that, but as Finn said, Shanny made the call and Ryan had to follow and Peyton nor Brady would have done differently.    

Don't forget too that Ryan lost his helmet communication and had to waste a time out for that too and then reportedly was screaming for them to run the ****ed ball

Should have called a time out to discuss. We had one more to burn. 

Tandy, i agree it was foremost a coaching error, but an elite QB who just won league MVP should have the stature and presence to question what the coaches are calling in a crucial point in the biggest game of their careers. 

Edited by Vandy
Falconsfan567 likes this

52 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Should have called a time out to discuss. We had one more to burn. 

Tandy, i agree it was foremost a coaching error, but an elite QB who just won league MVP should have the stature and presence to question what the coaches are calling in a crucial point in the biggest game of their careers. 

what did you want him to do, run up to the booth?   He's the QB and not the OC.   He's yelling at them to run the ball, but bottom line, he's going to run the plays they call, as does Brady.   Yelling at the coaches and wasting more time outs doesnt change the fact that in the end, they do what they are  told.    I wanted them to run a couple times and kick, Kyle wanted to stay aggressive and score a TD like he'd done all year.    One chip from Free and he's a hero.   

It didn't work out and it cost us the chance to ice the game, but it could have been the greatest play ever.    2 players were wide open for a TD 

The bitter side of me will always hate Kyle for not playing situational football and icing it with a fg, but there were a lot of things that happened in that last quarter to give them the win and if we had scored the TD it would have gone down as one of the greatest in SB history.   

1 hour ago, Tandy said:

Yep, and if anyone were to override Shanny that person would be Quinn. That's how it's supposed to work. Shanty and Quinn both admitted they intentionally wanted to stay aggressive as that is how they got that far, that is what their game was.

I disagree with them doing that in that situation, but it's misplaced blame to suggest Ryan should have overridden Shanny when in fact that would be Quinn's job. Quinn was on the headset and could have changed the call and it was ultimately Quinn's responsibility, not Ryan's.

You are correct, Ryan did scream run the ball. Why didn't Quinn listen to him? 

Posted (edited)

Ryan did call a timeout when he was apparently thinking "what is Kyle calling and why isn't he understanding I'm asking for/we need more running plays"; remember whole can't hear so Ryan called a TO in the 3rd Q or near the start of the 4th? Ryan's gut knew what to do. The guys WITH the responsibility failed him and our players.

And...the fact is we don't know for a fact if Brady ever overrides his coaches let alone often enough. I know Peyton got really particular later in his career; hmm, kind of like around Matt's current point in his career? Ryan immediately making it a point to meet Sarkisian and say let's stay aggressive and true to what we did this year says Ryan WANTS to perform, and hopefully next time Sarkisian won't pretend not to hear his QB...or in a perfect world Matt 'just lines up and runs'...it goes back to what their OC/QB relationship is. This is where Peyton got a particular setup that worked. This wasn't the set up for ATL with Kyle and Matt. Just wasn't. Each guy did his thing and they came together. It wasn't a Peyton reigning MVP gonna tell his OC what's up more than Ryan.

The problem with y'alls approach? The personnel was already grouped for passing the ball. It puts Ryan even in a worse position (sound familiar? players being put in a bad position) to try to call a run and the coaches know it's him ignoring them.

Unfortunately, when you are in the SB and you trusted each other the 1 guy overthinking and ignoring situational football can make/break historic moments of a collapse or a comeback. The thing is NE had nothing to lose, they knew they had that game lost but said screw it Falcons are being ******** and fine we'll get motivated to take what you left.

I think it's conjecture to believe Brady at 30 or Manning would've simply ignored their OC 100%. I still say it's way too lenses colored. Oh, and Manning took a while before he won a SB, Brady is a great QB in an amazing system by Belichick. Tom looked terrible for most of the game and 100% loses the game if Falcons call a better game overall; let alone situational.

Snap counts spelled the doom. Their D was fresh while our OL was breaking down. Our D was exhausted and on both sides of the ball their power/less speed team finally edged out our tiring/less power focused team. This is why LOS is getting all of the attention this offseason with some measured moves at KR/depth/keeping own that we can.

Edited by slimjim
Godzilla1985 and DirtyBird8711 like this

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, Tandy said:

what did you want him to do, run up to the booth?   He's the QB and not the OC.   He's yelling at them to run the ball, but bottom line, he's going to run the plays they call, as does Brady.   Yelling at the coaches and wasting more time outs doesnt change the fact that in the end, they do what they are  told.    I wanted yhem to run a couple times and kick, Kyle wanted to stay aggressive and score a TD like he'd done all year.    One chip from Free and he's a hero.   

It didn't work out and it cost us the chance to ice the game, but it could have been the greatest play ever.    2 players were wide open for a TD 

The bitter side of me will always hate Kyle for not playing situational football and icing it with a fg, but there were a lot of ghings that happened in yhat last quarter to give yhem the win and if we had scored the TD it would have gone fown as one of the greatest in SB history.   

I want him to be that cool calm QB who calls a time out to discuss in the crucial moment of game.  If Shanny (more importantly Quinn) still wants to throw the **** ball, well of course matt has to do that. But I think they (Quinn and Shanny) choked, and a time out may have given them time to recollect their senses. Don't tell me Montana, manning, Brady et al wouldn't have done that, I'm not buying it. 

I actually blame Quinn more than Shanny. He was the head coach, Shanny worked under him, and that was a HC moment he (imo) crumbled in.  

Edited by Vandy

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I want him to be that cool calm QB who calls a time out to discuss in the crucial moment of game.  If Shanny (more importantly Quinn) still wants to throw the **** ball, well of course matt has to do that. But I think they (Quinn and Shanny) choked, and a time out may have given them time to recollect their senses. Don't tell me Montana, manning, Brady et al wouldn't have done that, I'm not buying it. 

I actually blame Quinn more than Shanny. He was the head coach, Shanny worked under him, and that was a HC moment he (imo) crumbled in.  

I think most of us hear you loud and clear. You just have to remember this is simply what Atlanta did all year. Nothing more, nothing less. A different setup will require adjustments, this is why not only did Kyle leave but we made several coaching changes and Quinn will keep it mostly the same, but you better believe from the way Matt has carried himself he knows he can use his weight as a now reigning MVP in future seasons; he was literally named day before SB. He was just trying to do HIS job, and while I believe certain QBs 'could' have done more in that situation that doesn't mean they 'would 100%' do it differently no questions. That's just not fair to Matt and isn't quite true in regards to those QBs either. They aren't gods or perfect. They make mistakes. It just so happens our HC and OC made the biggest ones. I mean, Brady has been good/great, but not singularly the best QB. Put Matt in NE. Does he have a SB already? I rest my case.

Edited by slimjim
Vandy and MSalmon like this

10 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Yep, and if anyone were to override Shanny that person would be Quinn. That's how it's supposed to work. Shanty and Quinn both admitted they intentionally wanted to stay aggressive as that is how they got that far, that is what their game was.

I disagree with them doing that in that situation, but it's misplaced blame to suggest Ryan should have overridden Shanny when in fact that would be Quinn's job. Quinn was on the headset and could have changed the call and it was ultimately Quinn's responsibility, not Ryan's.

You are correct, Ryan did scream run the ball. Why didn't Quinn listen to him? 

I agree matt can't override the call, I disagree matt couldn't have called a time out and discussed.

Matt also should have been running the playclock down better in 4th quarter. I won't say he choked, but he played rattled in 4th quarter. 

slimjim likes this

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

I agree matt can't override the call, I disagree matt couldn't have called a time out and discussed.

Matt also should have been running the playclock down better in 4th quarter. I won't say he choked, but he played rattled in 4th quarter. 

And to me, that's a byproduct of calling situational football poorly. Atlanta played like the team behind, not needing to close the game but needing to score. EVERYONE called Kyle out to some degree on seeming to want to leave 'his' mark on history. Pride is before a fall.

Vandy and Falconsfan567 like this

24 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Weren't we down to 1 TO at that point? 

As far as running play clock down, does Matt have full control of that? I don't know answer to that question but entire line has to be on same page or penalties abound.

Vandy likes this

Tell you what they lived and died by there decisions all year.

This time it burnt them and we came up short.

We can rehash this as much as we like the result is still the same.

We just have to hope as fans that DQ has learnt from that mishap and it never happens again.

Opportunity missed I think we can all move on now.

slimjim likes this