Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PK Manley

Dontari Poe Conference Call

37 posts in this topic

Hmmm...I thought there would be quite a few more tweets coming when I started this thread.  Oh well...at least we find out that he's 340 and trying to play at 330.

He's on 680 The Fan now.  I'll post if I hear anything interesting.

papachaz, JT, jas82487 and 2 others like this

2 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

Hmmm...I thought there would be quite a few more tweets coming when I started this thread.  Oh well...at least we find out that he's 340 and trying to play at 330.

He's on 680 The Fan now.  I'll post if I hear anything interesting.

Thanks for posting 

That was easily my favorite part about what was tweeted. At 330 pounds I can see him getting 6-8 sacks next season and he was already going to be a complete beast on the run defense.

1 minute ago, PK Manley said:

Says there are no concerns at all with his back at this point

I think the back stuff has been blown out of proportion this whole time honestly but glad he confirmed the back is feeling good right now 

Flying Falcon and raysnill1 like this

This is just such an awesome pick-up from every possible aspect. I have to confess I'm looking forward to seeing this D on the field as much or more than our history-making offense. It's going to be straight eye-candy to watch after what we've been through recently on that side of the ball.

papachaz, Drew4719, Vandy and 9 others like this

9 minutes ago, JT said:

Thanks for posting 

That was easily my favorite part about what was tweeted. At 330 pounds I can see him getting 6-8 sacks next season and he was already going to be a complete beast on the run defense.

If he gets 8 sacks at his position, $8 mil was a bargain!

poutlipper and ShmevinShmarris like this

Posted (edited)

I'll admit that I'm excited. This makes our line nearly unstoppable. 

3rd and 11. Early in the first quarter. October, 2017.  

Taint's ball on their 20. 

You've got Vick off the left side in a wide-9 alignment, making the right tackle poo himself in anticipation. Sneeze changes the protection, fearfully ordering the running back to stay in and chip (the TE likely still runs a route). The tackle hears this, but knows that Vic will just slap the back out of the way without breaking stride. If he fails, Sneeze goes down. 

That sound? That was the tackle's sphincter tightening. 

Clay is in a narrower alignment on the right side, so he can go bull or slip in either way. Anyone without multiple Pro Bowls at the position is in trouble. There's no help to this side (again, this is Sneeze, who likes his four- and five-man plays). 

You now have three guys left to block Grady "The Slipperiest Big Man in the League" Jarret and Dontario "The Human Eclipse" Poe. And one of these poor ******** has to snap the **** ball. The tension is palpable. The crowd is losing its collective mind.  

Even before the snap, they're in trouble. But it gets worse... 

All that work setting up the protection is for not; Vick and Grady are running a stunt. 

Confused by the superior athletes and DQ's Jedi Mind Trick, the guard and center each swing out too wide. 

Sneeze, as he is want to do, tries to step up into the pocket. But that's a bad career decision, as Vic is now running full speed right at Sneeze. 

Now, Poe isn't even really that involved. He is likely eating up one or two blockers away from the ball, and he isn't even influential in ending Sneeze. But his presence just took things up to another level. It put one more considerable stress on the O line. 

Edited by Falcon Ben
HASHBROWN3, brewman and Krosis like this

54 minutes ago, JT said:

I think the back stuff has been blown out of proportion this whole time honestly but glad he confirmed the back is feeling good right now 

he played more snaps than most of the other guys people wanted, after his surgery. it's all just people getting emotional because they thought he was using us to leverage other offers or didn't want to come here. plus trying to be GMs, talking about how much money they think he deserves.

1 hour ago, JT said:

Thanks for posting 

There are articles saying that KCs run defense underachieved while Poe was there. What are your thoughts?

330? Fantastic. If he was as athletic as he was at 350 he should be a BEAST. That weight lost should help him stay healthy too and since he's in better shape and will be playing less he should be full tilt all the time.

New Falcon Dontari Poe will slim down, get ready to 'play ball'

mcclure_vaughn_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=c
  • Vaughn McClure ESPN Staff Writer

New Atlanta Falcons defensive tackle Dontari Poe is ready to play ball.

The two-time Pro Bowler, formerly of the Kansas City Chiefs, sounded like a man eager to show his full potential when he addressed the Atlanta-area media for the first time via conference call Friday. Poe talked about the bond he already established with coach Dan Quinn, a bond that helped lead to his selection of the Falcons over the Jacksonville Jaguars, Indianapolis Colts and Miami Dolphins. Poe agreed to a one-year, $8 million contract that includes incentives that can take it up to $10 million, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Quinn plans to play Poe at both nose tackle and the 3-technique spot.

"He just said he's going to let me play ball," Poe said of Quinn. "He watched film of me and he saw the ability that I had. He just thought I could be a dominant player, so he's just going to let me play.

To play up to his best potential and play the attacking style Quinn always preaches, Poe has to be at the proper weight. It's something he and Quinn discussed during his visit earlier in the week. Poe said he currently weighs 340 pounds with plans to slim down for the 2017 season.

"He just told me he wanted me to come in and play fast and be aggressive," Poe said, "so around 330 is where I'll play at most of the year. I feel like that will be a comfortable weight for me, too."

Finding a comfortable weight should help Poe thrive in the middle of the Falcons' defense. He'll draw some double-teams, which will free up others to rush the passer and stop the run. But one aspect of Poe's game that might be on display more often than before is his ability to rush the passer. His sheer strength will help him push the pocket, but he has the athleticism to go after and bring down quarterbacks to help Vic Beasley Jr., Grady Jarrett, Adrian Clayborn and the rest of the line.

The system he played in with the Chiefs didn't necessarily feature him in that capacity, but Quinn wants all his defensive linemen to have rush ability.  

This style of defense, like I said, it let's D-linemen play," Poe said. "It lets us play football, it lets us attack, it lets us go do what D-linemen were made to do. I definitely feel like it will be real good for me."

There were questions about Poe's back after he had surgery to fix a herniated disk while with the Chiefs. It didn't keep Poe from missing any game time as he played 781 defensive snaps last season.

"The back is all the way good," Poe said.

As for Poe moonlighting as a Wildcat quarterback or fullback in the goal-line offense, as he did in Kansas City, he hasn't had those discussions with Quinn just yet.

"That was nothing I ever talked about; it just kind of happened in K.C.," Poe said of playing offense. "If it happens, it happens. If it don't, I'm here to play defense anyway, so I'm cool with that."

http://www.espn.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/26386/new-falcon-dontari-poe-will-slim-down-and-get-ready-to-play-ball

JT, atlbaby and RandomFan like this

1 hour ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

There are articles saying that KCs run defense underachieved while Poe was there. What are your thoughts?

I'd say you're bad at this 

50 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

I'd say Poe is only 1 person out of 11 on defense...

Fair enough. I'm as excited as anyone, but seeing how he wants to rush the passer more as well as how KCs run defense supposedly "underperformed" with him, I hope we're not getting ahead of ourselves in saying that our run defense problems are solved. I don't think they'll get worse, I'm just curious as to how much better we'll get and if we'll use him as a true NT. It sounds like he wants to be a 3T. I'm not sure.