Clark Kent™

What You Clowns Think About Poe?

47 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Scott Carasik said:

This is completely wrong. Poe plays 0-1-3 techs. Not 5tech that Tyson played. Crawford and Shelby will compete for Jackson's old spot at SDE. DT isn''t a need anymore.

If you're looking at the draft as something that builds the team beyond the current year, DT is absolutely still a need. Poe is a bandaid that will allow whomever we draft to grow into a productive DT. We just won't need to double dip there th is year.

A 3 Tech would still help us out a lot.

1 hour ago, Clark Kent™ said:

Maybe so. I was under the impression he was going to play 5T since that is typically where the bigger guy plays like Tyson did here and Red Bryant did in Seattle 

Not at all. He's going to play the 1tech. That's why he was signed. And he's closer to a bigger Brandon Mebane (6'1" 315 vs. 6'3" 335)

Bobby.Digital likes this

1 hour ago, rugger8 said:

If you're looking at the draft as something that builds the team beyond the current year, DT is absolutely still a need. Poe is a bandaid that will allow whomever we draft to grow into a productive DT. We just won't need to double dip there th is year.

A 3 Tech would still help us out a lot.

A DT could be nice... or the Falcons could just re-sign Poe to a long-term deal next march.

Bobby.Digital and slimjim like this

1 hour ago, Scott Carasik said:

This is completely wrong. Poe plays 0-1-3 techs. Not 5tech that Tyson played. Crawford and Shelby will compete for Jackson's old spot at SDE. DT isn''t a need anymore.

I think Poe could play the 4/5 tech, but he's better suited playing the 1 tech. We also have other candidatesthat can play 4/5, but we're somewhat limited at nose.

24 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

I think Poe could play the 4/5 tech, but he's better suited playing the 1 tech. We also have other candidatesthat can play 4/5, but we're somewhat limited at nose.

Poe COULD play it just like Jarrett COULD play it. That doesn't make it make sense to put him there or spend $8 million this year to push him there. Quinn maximizes players. Why would he minimize Poe at the 5? Guys and where Quinn would play them:

Poe - 0, 1, 3

Jarrett - 1, 3

Hageman - 1, 3, 5

Crawford - 3, 5, 6, 7

Shelby - 3, 5, 6, 7

Clayborn - 3, 5, 6, 7, 9

Upshaw - 1, 3, 5, 6, 7

Reed - 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, OLB

Beasley - 6, 7, 9, OLB

In what way would it help this team to play Poe at a 5T when they have 6 different guys who could do it better?

It's not an apples to apples comparison. KC runs a 3-4 man to man scheme which means Poe is playing the 0 or 1 and eating double teams. During his two best season he played way too many snaps (900+) and I think it caught up with him. We play predominately 4-3 cover 3 zone and we've been mixing in a lot more man as time has gone on. Cutting back on his snap count and having him play next to disruptive players as a 1-2 should in theory increase his productivity at least that's the hope of the coaching staff and it's what Poe himself has bet on by taking less money to play for a year for a contender.

Bobby.Digital, datchrisb1 and jluk like this

A DT could be nice... or the Falcons could just re-sign Poe to a long-term deal next march.

I think that could be cap-prohibitive, but of he does well this year, then I would be for it, cost aside.

In what way would it help this team to play Poe at a 5T when they have 6 different guys who could do it better?

That's basically what I said...

4 hours ago, Scott Carasik said:

We still need one more DT to take over Babs roster spot. 

3 hours ago, GleasonForever! said:

Let's take a look:

Pure DTs (4): Poe, Hageman, Jarrett, Vellano

DT/DE Hybrids (4): Crawford, Shelby, Clayborn, Upshaw

EDGEs (2): Reed, Beasley

Not seeing where that need is for a Babineaux-type.

Base: Reed/Clayborn - Hageman/Jarrett - Poe - Crawford/Shelby

Nickel: Reed/Clayborn/Draft Pick - Clayborn/Shelby/Crawford - Hageman/Jarrett - Beasley

Not seeing the need for a Babineaux type.

gtech1 likes this

10 minutes ago, Scott Carasik said:

Let's take a look:

Nickel: Reed/Clayborn/Draft Pick - Clayborn/Shelby/Crawford - Hageman/Jarrett - Beasley

Vellano can be upgraded. I believe just because we have the numbers per say doesn't mean those number can't be upgraded. I think why not have all the guys in the trenches beastly if you can. Or and upgrade when there is one available which I think Babs spot can be. I mean you have to fill those roster spots with someone right? Freeneys spot and Babs spot is still open. If you can make upgrades via draft at those two positions then do it. Vellano was a journey man for a reason  

7 out of 10 of the lineman you mentioned came in from free agency. I'd like to see more lineman in the draft. So I say draft freeneys and Babs replacements in this draft. I think they will because we took care of the LB's and Secondary in this last draft. 

21 minutes ago, Scott Carasik said:

Let's take a look:

Poe was signed to a 1 year deal. There is no telling if we re-sign him next year.

Hageman may or may not be re-signed

Vellano is Velanno

Shelby is coming off a significant injury

Clayborn is coming off an injury and is very injury prone

Crawford is been an avg player his entire career 

Just because we have bodies, doesn't mean the need is not there. Especially on the defensive line. And especially on our defense where we heavily rotate our D lineman. That doesn't mean we have to go for a "Babineaux Type" at 31, but we need more youth and talent at the DT position. 

jluk, GleasonForever! and slimjim like this

8 hours ago, Clark Kent™ said:

Poe was signed to a 1 year deal. There is no telling if we re-sign him next year.

Hageman may or may not be re-signed

Vellano is Velanno

Shelby is coming off a significant injury

Clayborn is coming off an injury and is very injury prone

Crawford is been an avg player his entire career 

Just because we have bodies, doesn't mean the need is not there. Especially on the defensive line. And especially on our defense where we heavily rotate our D lineman. That doesn't mean we have to go for a "Babineaux Type" at 31, but we need more youth and talent at the DT position. 

^This.

However, you could put of DT this draft regardless if Poe walks now or next offseason, but of course if you let Hageman walk or Poe; both?!, then you'll need 2 DTs next offseason more than likely.

I think you get 1 EDGE in this draft, an OLB type (read Reddick), and DB.

On offense you need OL, and maybe take a TE/RB if it's clearly BPA over another position you can heavily go after as UDFA signings. This included FB of course and maybe a WR to groom on practice squad / camp battles.

53 isn't enough. Gotta have more than that for a succesful battle, right? ;)

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:26 AM, Scott Carasik said:

I agree. Either they choose to extend Poe if he fits, or just go into next year with that as a priority. I don't see all these high round DTs folks predict.

We do need an Edge guy in rotation; but that's not necessarily a first rounder.

slimjim likes this

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 11:42 AM, GleasonForever! said:

The off-season is not over, yet.

On 3/17/2017 at 7:55 AM, Scott Carasik said:

Not at all. He's going to play the 1tech. That's why he was signed. And he's closer to a bigger Brandon Mebane (6'1" 315 vs. 6'3" 335)

I read this 11 tech at first and I was a little confused. Maybe the 11 tech is the new hit defense? 

On 3/16/2017 at 8:47 PM, Clark Kent™ said:

I'm not a huge fan of Poe. I don't dislike him at all. I think he is upgrade over Tyson, but i don't think he is a game changer. Could be wrong though. I was happy to hear that he turned down more money to come to a contender so he isn't just about the money.  As far as the draft, I think Poe is obviously Tyson's replacement so i'm assuming that we won't be taking another big bodied DT, but I'm curious if we take a 3T or a LEO first. 

Thoughts?

Played an ungodly number of snaps in KC before and after the back injury, but he was responsible for a lot of their edge pressure. Go back and watch the KC Atlanta game, he dominated and ragdolled Chester and Schrader. Imagine him fresh and in the rotation? He will have a huge impact, because he literally cannot be blocked one on one nor can Grady... this will be fun!!

I'm on board with Poe,my brother is a huge Chiefs fan and he sees this as an important loss and not completely sold on Andy Reid.If Poe gets rotated like Quinn did in the latter half of the season (when our much maligned defense def got much better)I see him at the least drawing more blockers and that frees up Grady,Beasley and a blitzing safety.Anyway,it's better than Tyson also the last ex Chief we got was a pretty dang good acquisition(Tony Gonzales).For once I am trusting the coach and not second quessing.Smitty had me cussing blue streaks at times(Peria Jerry).

slimjim likes this

On 3/19/2017 at 0:58 PM, jimifalcon said:

I'm on board with Poe,my brother is a huge Chiefs fan and he sees this as an important loss and not completely sold on Andy Reid.If Poe gets rotated like Quinn did in the latter half of the season (when our much maligned defense def got much better)I see him at the least drawing more blockers and that frees up Grady,Beasley and a blitzing safety.Anyway,it's better than Tyson also the last ex Chief we got was a pretty dang good acquisition(Tony Gonzales).For once I am trusting the coach and not second quessing.Smitty had me cussing blue streaks at times(Peria Jerry).

Coaches/orgs can make hits and misses. The problem is wishing we were already the Patriots or a perennial winner. Remember, before Mike Smith Atlanta never had consecutive winning seasons. He was a foundation from which the need for Quinn and a next level was needed. I will always respect what Mike Smith did for the Falcons.

Now, as regards Poe I agree. As long as he is healthy; read effective and not super hampered by a past back surgery which is less likely and more that he was burned out/overused and in the 'wrong' way in KC during his final year+, then Dontari will be able to do more than what Babineaux or Jackson were able to do here. Instead of playing outside at end situationally himself though, he frees up those guys and by slimming down some gives an interesting matchup problem for some teams as the 3T compared to 1T, and thankfully he won't be asked to sit on the C all of the time and play the most snaps of any DT in the league (?).

On 3/17/2017 at 3:33 PM, Scott Carasik said:

Let's take a look:

I think you're being short-sighted on this...

Poe is on a 1 year deal.
Reed is mediocre.
Upshaw is on a 1 year deal.
Vellano is just a guy

1 hour ago, Sting129 said:

I think you're being short-sighted on this...

Poe is on a 1 year deal.
Reed is mediocre.
Upshaw is on a 1 year deal.
Vellano is just a guy

Yeah, so EDGE is the biggest need. Poe can hold the fort til a better DT class comes out next year. Upshaw is depth at best. Vellano is JAG agreed.