Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SpongeDad

ESPN's Todd McShay Mock 3.0 Atlanta Falcons

50 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, etherdome said:

We also know that when Chester was injured and needed to be replaced for a few plays, they chose Garland (not Wes) to stand in.  

Was Schweitzer active for that game?

39 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Was Schweitzer active for that game?

Was he active for any games?

Even if Wes solidifies the RG spot, we still need depth. Not having depth in the Super Bowl at OL was a major factor for the collapse. Drafting a OL that can play day one and play Tackle/Guard is a no brainer.

red falcon likes this

3 hours ago, BIRDLAND 2.0 said:

Idk bout Lang. I've watched YouTube game tape of Wes. He's a credible 2015 6th round pick who could step in now. I would only get a G at 6th or 7th for depth. Based on real cap limit of 10 million, I'd scratch Poe and double dip on DT with one RDE.

I'm in trust the front office mode so if they put in Wes then I am good, but I can't say put in Wes because of some youtube game tape. I've seen it and remember getting hyped over the pick as well.

I just need to see a little bit more. My trust in Wes would be indirect, not direct.

Wes was not active for any Game Day rosters, Garland was a 3 position backup (G, C, DT). Wes may be ready now to actually play and contribute...  a year to get stronger, eat better, learn the offense, cross train (?), acclimate to it all, so we will have to wait and see.  

This is likely the last season with Levitre, barring a massive reduction in contract, due to his current pay and to some extent his age. Wes Schweitzer is really better suited to play LG in this offense and it's likely that is his eventual position,

Cam will probably go higher with the lack of legit OTs in this draft, but i'd understand the pick if he lasts.

i have no problem taking a OL starter with the first pick, especially one that can play LT BUT,  even without Shanny the offense should be pretty good, with Garland or Wes at right guard. but we all know that old saying... DEFENSE wins champion ships...the defense got better as the year went on, but they are still lacking on the DL. i think DQ stays with the defense for the first pick...

Posted (edited)

Wes Schweitzer literally didnt play a snap of football last year...in essence, he has been "out of game day football" for almost TWO years by the time Preseason rolls around...

He was also a 7th round draft pick out of San Jose St....

He was also so good, that he wasnt able to unseat a 35 year old OG, that by PFF standards rated as the 2nd worst starting OG in the league last year...

Now all of a sudden he is going to be our starter??? Man, this FO and coaching staff really knows something...must be the reincarnate of Holmes or something? They obviously know something way more than the rest of the league..."Yea, we are going to draft this guy in the 7th, have him compete for an OG spot agst the 2nd worst OG in the league, he couldnt see the field, so we are goinng to stash him for a year, and then he is going to be our "solid" starter at OG in 2017"....

You guys are nuts...

We have a "hole" at RG...While I dont think its a huge hole, it is a need...Wes Schweitzer will not be our starter....his ceiling is a game day OG/swing OT backup that is a PS squad player for injury depth...

We will be signing a FA OG or drafting an OG before 5th round this year...

You protect the Franchise!!! Get someone better than Wes in there...cause clearly he played a lot of games last year....

Edited by Matt_The Iceman_Ryan

2 hours ago, m2Falcons said:

Wes was not active for any Game Day rosters, Garland was a 3 position backup (G, C, DT). Wes may be ready now to actually play and contribute...  a year to get stronger, eat better, learn the offense, cross train (?), acclimate to it all, so we will have to wait and see.  

This is likely the last season with Levitre, barring a massive reduction in contract, due to his current pay and to some extent his age. Wes Schweitzer is really better suited to play LG in this offense and it's likely that is his eventual position,

Well said. Wes does look more like a LG than RG......and to be clear, he is strictly a Guard, not a T/OG.  I think Wes's main attribute is his intelligence.  I see him as the eventual LG, once Levitre prices himself out of contention.  

If we can not draft a big time pass rusher at #31, my hope is that Robinson somehow falls to us.  He would be plugged into the RG spot and start from day one.  He would also be a good back up to Schraeder (remember that Schraeder has some knee issues).  

Sign Poe and draft Robinson.  That would be an amazing upgrade on both lines. Then you can look at the rest of the draft and deepen our young defense with several blazing athletes that need a little development. 

Wes has had a chance to prove himself. He likely didn't show enough if we draft an RG. I'd be elated if this happens.

In my opinion, you can never have enough good OL and DL players.  I won't be mad if we get the best player on either line.

We had incredible luck with our health and continuity on the OL last year.  When Mack and Schraeder got hurt at the end, you saw the thin line (pun intended) separating an elite team from an okay one.  We are set at all the skill positions.  We just need the men in the trenches to beat the other men in the trenches.

Cam Robinson's a mauler. He would be an amazing RG for sure. I just don't see him as a tackle in the league with how many speed rushers there are nowadays.

I would love for us to get Poe draft cam or lamp with #31. Budda baker with #62. And then Sidney Jones with #93

4 hours ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

Wes Schweitzer literally didnt play a snap of football last year...in essence, he has been "out of game day football" for almost TWO years by the time Preseason rolls around...

He was also so good, that he wasnt able to unseat a 35 year old OG, that by PFF standards rated as the 2nd worst starting OG in the league last year...

Now all of a sudden he is going to be our starter??? Man, this FO and coaching staff really knows something...must be the reincarnate of Holmes or something? They obviously know something way more than the rest of the league..."Yea, we are going to draft this guy in the 7th, have him compete for an OG spot agst the 2nd worst OG in the league, he couldnt see the field, so we are goinng to stash him for a year, and then he is going to be our "solid" starter at OG in 2017"....

You guys are nuts...

We have a "hole" at RG...While I dont think its a huge hole, it is a need...Wes Schweitzer will not be our starter....his ceiling is a game day OG/swing OT backup that is a PS squad player for injury depth...

You protect the Franchise!!! Get someone better than Wes in there...cause clearly he played a lot of games last year....

This ^^^^^^

As bad as chester was last year, you have to think Wes would at least been given a chance to play to see what he had.  I think they kicked the tire on a guard in free agency bc the FO knows we need a guard.  I guess we will all figure out how they feel about Wes if they draft a OL or resign Chester.

15 hours ago, HEIST said:

I agree with everything except RG not being a priority. 

I'd get one in 5 or 7. D line priority in first 3-4.

4 hours ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

You guys are nuts...

Good argument. Lamp will be gone. Feeney has concussion history. Next option... 

1 hour ago, BIRDLAND 2.0 said:

Good argument. Lamp will be gone. Feeney has concussion history. Next option... 

Your close...next up are Dion Dawkins, Dorian Johnson..not sure Dawkins make it to 63...

2 hours ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

Your close...next up are Dion Dawkins, Dorian Johnson..not sure Dawkins make it to 63...

That's if Wes is rotation only.

I could live with this pick for sure. Him or Lamp. Should be able to grab Budda Baker, Marcus Maye, Forrest Lamp, Cam Robinson, or TJ Watt. Daeshon Hall as the sleeper first round pick.