falconsd56

This offseason is starting to remind me of the 2012 off-season.

53 posts in this topic

In alot of ways

After 2011 most people expected us to be super aaggressive.

We replaced both coordinators and pretty much all of our FA money was spent locking up our own guys..Beirman, Abe, Decoud etc.

Our "splash"move was trading for Samuel  but other than that everything else received little attention.

 

So far that has been this offseason

We lost our fullback

We lost both coordinators

At this point there is a better than good chance that we end up with a rookie at RG.

And we have pretty much just resigned our own.

I expect a medium "splash" move and then it will be on to the draft.

 

Knight of God likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Why does everyone seem so terrified of the thought of Schweitzer or Garland at RG?

Good question.

I am not terrified of it.....but I would rather have a vet there.

It would be nice to have a line with no real weak links.

That said if that is how it shakes out then that is how it shakes out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Why does everyone seem so terrified of the thought of Schweitzer or Garland at RG?

Thank you. Wes is more than capable, having played LT, been a team captain and played against SEC teams while at San Jose State.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Good question.

I am not terrified of it.....but I would rather have a vet there.

It would be nice to have a line with no real weak links.

That said if that is how it shakes out then that is how it shakes out.

Schweitzer we only have PS to off of, but he was really impressive at the time, even as a rookie, and nearly took the starting RG spot as it was.

Garland meanwhile. man, I don't know how anyone could've watched him out there when he had to come in, and feel worried about him playing full time.

If we just sign some veteran competition, whether Chester again or someone else, and then draft someone late for competition, I don't really see a reason to be worried about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Why does everyone seem so terrified of the thought of Schweitzer or Garland at RG?

Don't think people are terrified, just unsure with Schweitzer since He was a 6th round draft pick and haven't heard too much of him during the Regular Season. 

As for Garland, i like seeing him as a two way player. His play on the DL was fun to watch, personally I wouldnt want to lose that versatility. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dr. Falcon said:

Don't think people are terrified, just unsure with Schweitzer since He was a 6th round draft pick and haven't heard too much of him during the Regular Season. 

As for Garland, i like seeing him as a two way player. His play on the DL was fun to watch

I've seen more than one post saying that if we don't sign a starting veteran RG that "this offseason is a failure" and/or "our roster has taken a step back/ gotten worse."

Obviously it's not everybody, but I'd think after the last couple years that people would be more willing to just take a step back and trust the process.

I think Quinn has earned that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hjerry said:

I've seen more than one post saying that if we don't sign a starting veteran RG that "this offseason is a failure" and/or "our roster has taken a step back/ gotten worse."

Obviously it's not everybody, but I'd think after the last couple years that people would be more willing to just take a step back and trust the process.

I think Quinn has earned that.

For sure; I'm super excited to see what gems we will be able to find with our Plan D. It feels good to be one of those teams that "hits" on UDFA and low draft picks! Big part of that is our coaching staff's developmental skill.

PokerSteve and hjerry like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Falcon said:

For sure; I'm super excited to see what gems we will be able to find with our Plan D. It feels good to be one of those teams that "hits" on UDFA and low draft picks! Big part of that is our coaching staff's developmental skill.

I've seen more than one poster say that we have to sign top vets, b/c we can't possibly hope/expect us to have as much success in the draft and UDFA as we did last year, but we've done it two years in a row now. Isn't that enough reason to trust them? I'll bet if we do it again this year, there'll be people on here next offseason, saying that there's no way we do it four years in a row lol.

 

I really think at this point that we're in the top tier of both talent evaluation, and talent development, but as of right now, we're really still in our infancy. It feels weird to say that though, considering what we've accomplished already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Falcan Moore said:

I just think this horrific SuperBowl made people forget this isn't the same ol Falcons because of how familiar it was. 

I took a very apathetic approach to last year's offseason and season, very much wait and see. Had we won, it would've been like this huge weight was lifted off of my shoulders and I could've just lightened the **** up, and just enjoyed the summer. Instead, apathy again it is. :(

The Daywalker likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Why does everyone seem so terrified of the thought of Schweitzer or Garland at RG?

Reason dude was drafted in the 7th round..him not being good and our primary option equals disaster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, hjerry said:

Why does everyone seem so terrified of the thought of Schweitzer or Garland at RG?

I don't necessarily agree with being terrified but I understand it.

It's the unknown with a low draft pick/UDFA attached to it. Generally people want either someone who has experience being a consistent starter or a high draft pick. 

There's also the issue of the Falcons showing interest in TJ Lang as well and clearly stating that they are looking at Guard in FA. There are plenty of factors that points to a concern with Wes or Garland starting.

Edited by ATLFalcons11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, falconsd56 said:

In alot of ways

After 2011 most people expected us to be super aaggressive.

We replaced both coordinators and pretty much all of our FA money was spent locking up our own guys..Beirman, Abe, Decoud etc.

Our "splash"move was trading for Samuel  but other than that everything else received little attention.

 

So far that has been this offseason

We lost our fullback

We lost both coordinators

At this point there is a better than good chance that we end up with a rookie at RG.

And we have pretty much just resigned our own.

I expect a medium "splash" move and then it will be on to the draft.

 

 The biggest difference for me is that the guys were signing to keep around lately have all been good young players. We are getting to a point with the team foundation that we didn't quite hit with the first go around.  We definitely had good players to re-sign but not like this.  

It's a positive sign that the list of homegrown talent we want to keep around is getting bigger and bigger.  It's a good problem to have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hjerry said:

I've seen more than one poster say that we have to sign top vets, b/c we can't possibly hope/expect us to have as much success in the draft and UDFA as we did last year, but we've done it two years in a row now. Isn't that enough reason to trust them? I'll bet if we do it again this year, there'll be people on here next offseason, saying that there's no way we do it three years in a row lol.

 

I really think at this point that we're in the top tier of both talent evaluation, and talent development, but as of right now, we're really still in our infancy. It feels weird to say that though, considering what we've accomplished already.

Good post.  It's kinda hard to believe but I agree about where we currently rank in those departments. 

 

 I don't think it's crazy to make the case that our improved drafting could go back and start with Trufant's class.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BIRDLAND 2.0 said:

Thank you. Wes is more than capable, having played LT, been a team captain and played against SEC teams while at San Jose State.

People forget he almost beat out Chester in the preseason. He didn't play much because our line was healthy all year until the SB. 

BIRDLAND 2.0 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hjerry said:

Why does everyone seem so terrified of the thought of Schweitzer or Garland at RG?

 I agree. From what I've heard and read, Schweitzer almost won the starting job last year. I'm fine with either.

BIRDLAND 2.0 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

I don't necessarily agree with being terrified but I understand it.

It's the unknown with a low draft pick/UDFA attached to it. Generally people want either someone who has experience being a consistent starter or a high draft pick. 

There's also the issue of the Falcons showing interest in TJ Lang as well and clearly stating that they are looking at Guard in FA. There are plenty of factors that points to a concern with Wes or Garland starting.

For me, it all comes down to how much you trust in Quinn and his evaluation of talent and readiness to compete.

If he thinks these guys are ready, shouldn't we?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hjerry said:

For me, it all comes down to how much you trust in Quinn and his evaluation of talent and readiness to compete.

If he thinks these guys are ready, shouldn't we?

To a point....yes

But he is also the guy that though Pierson was a starting caliber center......even though he had never snapped before in an nfl game.

He is the guy who thought Hageman was better on the outside.

He was the guy who did not veto terrible play calls in the most dire moments of the superbowl.

He is also the guy who wasted a couple time outs in the superbowl.

 

I like Quinn I think he is one **** of a communicator and football coach but some of the decisions he has made  deserve second looks.

Like I said if it shakes out that we are rolling with Garland and the other kid....so be it but I think it would be a mistake IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hjerry said:

I've seen more than one post saying that if we don't sign a starting veteran RG that "this offseason is a failure" and/or "our roster has taken a step back/ gotten worse."

Obviously it's not everybody, but I'd think after the last couple years that people would be more willing to just take a step back and trust the process.

I think Quinn has earned that.

why are people worrying about "not seeing" Wes. he played very well in PS, well enough to start but since Schraeder is still fairly new to football, we needed a veteran. but now Schraeder has the experience to hold his own and playing next to Mack won't hurt at all. plus, we were the only team that line started every game, so what exactly were we suppose to see?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anything, it reminds me of the Panther's offseason last year; albeit not as extreme. (i.e. - losing Norman categorizes as 'extreme')

Some small players we 'lost' - Jared Allen, Charles Tillman, Roman Harper, and Jericho Cotchery - all seemed like small issues that weren't going to impact much, but they did.

The Panther's biggest signing last offseason was Paul Soliai, and their biggest move was to get P Andy Lee. That should tell you how silent we were last offseason, and how it contributed to our downfall.

I could see a similar affect with Freeney if he doesn't resign. He made Remmers his play-toy after Vic Beasley had his shot the year before. Freeney provides a veteran presence with solid skillsets.

I still don't see how you guys think DiMarco is expendable. He was a huge talent, and helped with the run game tremendously. I would've traded Tolbert for DiMarco and added a couple of draft picks if I had to because he is an impact on offense. 

Nevertheless, quiet offseasons can work, but you also need to have experience on your roster as well. Can't go in with a bunch of rookies and young-yuns like we did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SamMills51 said:

If anything, it reminds me of the Panther's offseason last year; albeit not as extreme. (i.e. - losing Norman categorizes as 'extreme')

Some small players we 'lost' - Jared Allen, Charles Tillman, Roman Harper, and Jericho Cotchery - all seemed like small issues that weren't going to impact much, but they did.

The Panther's biggest signing last offseason was Paul Soliai, and their biggest move was to get P Andy Lee. That should tell you how silent we were last offseason, and how it contributed to our downfall.

I could see a similar affect with Freeney if he doesn't resign. He made Remmers his play-toy after Vic Beasley had his shot the year before. Freeney provides a veteran presence with solid skillsets.

I still don't see how you guys think DiMarco is expendable. He was a huge talent, and helped with the run game tremendously. I would've traded Tolbert for DiMarco and added a couple of draft picks if I had to because he is an impact on offense. 

Nevertheless, quiet offseasons can work, but you also need to have experience on your roster as well. Can't go in with a bunch of rookies and young-yuns like we did.

Falcons roster is a lot younger than the Panthers roster. The window for the Falcons is just opening for a good 3-4 year run. The window for the Panthers was closing. Most good teams get a good 3-5 year run before it goes downhill. I think the 2015 Panthers were similar to the 2012 Falcons, not the 2016 Falcons

A-TowN.- likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hjerry said:

For me, it all comes down to how much you trust in Quinn and his evaluation of talent and readiness to compete.

If he thinks these guys are ready, shouldn't we?

For many easier said than done and rightfully so.

People are waiting for the inevitable....a bad personnel decision. There hasn't been many at all, but odds are eventually it should happen. With this team so young and so close, it makes sense that people don't want to waste an opportunity on a 6th round pick, trust be ****ed.

Again I trust them, but I get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the things Smitty talked about in his book was that one place where he and the organization thought they went wrong is after getting to the NFC title game, they started chasing the ring instead of continuing to build as they had.

I think concentrating on re-signing our own players and being cautious in free agency is a clear indicator that they don't want to make the same mistake twice...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, capologist said:

One of the things Smitty talked about in his book was that one place where he and the organization thought they went wrong is after getting to the NFC title game, they started chasing the ring instead of continuing to build as they had.

I think concentrating on re-signing our own players and being cautious in free agency is a clear indicator that they don't want to make the same mistake twice...

Yeah, Smitty was caught up in those 10 yards to the Super Bowl thoughts instead of correcting what loss the lead for them in the first place.

capologist likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now