Matt_The Iceman_Ryan

How much do you like Taylor Gabriel?

72 posts in this topic

I like Gabriel a lot, but I think we have awesome depth at the position...and Im not really interested in paying him $5 mil/year...

For reference, Thielen received a 2nd round RFA tender from the Vikes this off-season...they went ahead and signed him long term.

Interesting to see if Falcons view Gabriel in similar light with Hardy and Roberts in the fold?

Thoughts?

I think the difference between the two is that Thielen showed that he can step up and play at a high level when he is the number 1 wide receiver on the field due to injuries.  I love Gabriel, but he relies on the other weapons in our offense in order to get his.

mtldirtybird likes this

I think this is an under the radar focus for a Day 2 pick.  Gabriel will get paid or be damaged goods in 2018.  Either way, with $20 ACV committed to Julio/Sanu...the way to replenish the position will be via the draft.  And Rounds 2/3 are where you get value at need positions.

5 minutes ago, Clark said:

I think the difference between the two is that Thielen showed that he can step up and play at a high level when he is the number 1 wide receiver on the field due to injuries.  I love Gabriel, but he relies on the other weapons in our offense in order to get his.

Gabriel played his best when JJ and Sanu were out..lol this is funny

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

Gabriel played his best when JJ and Sanu were out..lol this is funny

Ya he did play well but Julio and Sanu aren't the only weapons on the field for Atlanta.  When Thielan had his 12 catch, 200 yard receiving game, I believe he was functioning as the number 1 on the field because Diggs was out, and we both know the Vikes don't have the type of offensive weaponry Atlanta does, even with Julio out. 

LOL all you want, but Thielen balled out last year when he got his opportunities and had a more productive year than Gabriel. 

Edited by Clark
mtldirtybird likes this

27 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

I think this is an under the radar focus for a Day 2 pick.  Gabriel will get paid or be damaged goods in 2018.  Either way, with $20 ACV committed to Julio/Sanu...the way to replenish the position will be via the draft.  And Rounds 2/3 are where you get value at need positions.

That's what I was thinking....Im not sure it will be 2nd-3rd round, seems steep with needs at RG and DT....it might be our 7th rounder again?

But again, we could wait one more year, having JJ, Sanu, Hardy, Fuller under contract for 2018....Ive kinda tossed Fuller to the side...especially if we just signed Roberts?

I like Hogan and McKenzie as 7th rounders or UDFA?

52 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

Why this draft? A 3rd or 4th round WR wouldn't see the field at all with Gabe still being on the roster. 

Slappywhite likes this

13 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Why this draft? A 3rd or 4th round WR wouldn't see the field at all with Gabe still being on the roster. 

Less of a drop off once Gabe leaves

1 hour ago, Falcanuck said:

We will likely have to move on from Gabriel after this season. Not everyone can stay. Same with Ricardo Allen. 

If he was smart he would take less money and stay with a contender and good family oriented team with high character guys.

He's supposedly locked in for their #2 WR spot after surpassing Charles Johnson on the depth chart last season. So, rather than comparing him to Gabriel, you should be comparing him to Sanu.

PK Manley likes this

Oh I like him>> enough to take a second round pick, but i don't think that's going to happen.

7 minutes ago, k-train said:

He's supposedly locked in for their #2 WR spot after surpassing Charles Johnson on the depth chart last season. So, rather than comparing him to Gabriel, you should be comparing him to Sanu.

He's also about the same height/weight as Sanu and more of an outside guy.

Y'all need to take a gander down in Draft&FA once in while.

We're looking hard at late round/UDFA small KRs/Speedsters, some of which were used in college almost exactly like we use Gabriel.

Our current looks suggests heavily two things, that Roberts is in no way guaranteed his spot on the roster, and that we're preparing in case we lose Gabriel next offseason.

14 minutes ago, socalriseup said:

id rather pay and keep gabriel since we know what he can do and has always come through for us. wouldnt want him to go and us to get a bust.

He's like the 5th receiving option. .

If the argument for not keeping him is that he would cost $5 million per year, I don't think that's outrageous considering what he's already proven what a huge weapon he can be in this offense ~ another genuine threat to take the ball to the house every time he touches it. Defenses can not take him any more lightly than Julio or Sanu.

I know he may end up being regarded as a luxury we can't afford, but I don't want to see him sacrificed on the altar of alleged budgetary limitation. You get creative and do whatever you have to in order to retain your play-makers, and Gabriel is a legit play-maker for us that we need to keep.

gp_74, wuskillzz and BIRDLAND 2.0 like this