Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaptain Krazy

History doesn't support a 2017 Super Bowl title for Falcons

36 posts in this topic

Buffalo is the last team to lose a Super Bowl and win their conference the next year (as we all know, they accomplished that feat three times, never winning the final game).

It's been more than 40 years since a team gained redemption in the next season after losing the Super Bowl. Dallas lost Super Bowl V and won Super Bowl VI. Interestingly, Miami was the loser in Super Bowl VI and won VII. 

Of course that doesn't mean Atlanta can't do it. But 40+ years does show that merely defending the conference championship is really difficult.

What would be your reaction if Atlanta pulls a Buffalo and repeats as NFC champs but loses the Super Bowl again? Would you rather your team come up short in the big game two consecutive years or not have to deal with that trauma and have them lose before the Super Bowl?

Just now, jlrfalcon said:

History also did not support a team making a 25 point comeback in the Superbowl or an overtime occurring in the Superbowl.  However, both happened.

I literally posted this the same time you did lol

IamFRESCO1 likes this

Not making it at all is way better then making it losing... 2 L's in a row for #2 is highly unlikely. 

But the way I see us next year......

I think we have a good chance of making it again.. 

The offense not gone be as good but don't have to be cause the D gone BOOM. 

hashmark61 and PokerSteve like this

1 minute ago, SOI said:

History also shows you don't blow a 25 point lead in the Super Bowl....

Very true. So now we know that the Falcons can break with history in a bad way. 

1 minute ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

Very true. So now we know that the Falcons can break with history in a bad way. 

WE been knew that. 

Always on the bad side of history in the playoff.... 

Which sucks cause that's the only thing  anyone remember. 

Posted (edited)

As far as getting back to the SB, fortunately I think a few of our top competitors in the NFC have taken a step back so far this offseason- Dallas and Green Bay with their losses in FA. Also I don't think Sea has done much if anything to improve. Honestly I think the biggest thorn in our side might be the teams in our own division. But hey, it's the NFL. It's truly unpredictable. 

Edited by camfalcon

You just never know if the team will ever make it again with Matt Ryan. The team could miss the playoffs fgor all we know.

1 hour ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

Buffalo is the last team to lose a Super Bowl and win their conference the next year (as we all know, they accomplished that feat three times, never winning the final game).

It's been more than 40 years since a team gained redemption in the next season after losing the Super Bowl. Dallas lost Super Bowl V and won Super Bowl VI. Interestingly, Miami was the loser in Super Bowl VI and won VII. 

Of course that doesn't mean Atlanta can't do it. But 40+ years does show that merely defending the conference championship is really difficult.

What would be your reaction if Atlanta pulls a Buffalo and repeats as NFC champs but loses the Super Bowl again? Would you rather your team come up short in the big game two consecutive years or not have to deal with that trauma and have them lose before the Super Bowl?

If we stay healthy we have a very good chance to make it back to the Super Bowl.  But we know New England will be in SB next year. 

I am content with just making the SB in 2016 because we have not been there since Bill Clinton was President. It was a thrill to get there and have a chance.

But I would rather not get there unless they win it. I will be especially upset if we lose to Patriots in SB again.

1 hour ago, camfalcon said:

As far as getting back to the SB, fortunately I think a few of our top competitors in the NFC have taken a step back so far this offseason- Dallas and Green Bay with their losses in FA. Also I don't think Sea has done much if anything to improve. Honestly I think the biggest thorn in our side might be the teams in our own division. But hey, it's the NFL. It's truly unpredictable. 

Who did Dallas and Green bay lose?

It's more likely we won't go back to the SB this season, but if we do I want the Lombardi this time, not another dry run.

This is season is the most important season for this franchise.  

If we cower and not show up for the season, the franchise will be defined by the abysmal choke job, now known as Super Bowl LI.

If we come back stronger and win the championship, the franchise will be defined by its motto:

RISE UP

So, let's not bend to history;  let's make it.   

I think this is a subject that would require further research. As a lot of teams that make a SB and lose (I think) might be a vet team on one last run. Again, I haven't researched all the losing teams, so this is speculation.

We, on the other hand, have an extremely young roster overall. Particularly on defense. I doubt anyone seriously had us as a SB picks.

Probably will happen like what happened to the 2013 Broncos after they lost in the Super Bowl. Lost in playoffs in 2014, win Super Bowl in 2015. Falcons - lose in playoffs in 2017, win Super Bowl in 2018.

3 hours ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

What does any of this have to do with next years Falcons team?

If Matt comes close to his numbers from last year we will win the super bowl.

2 hours ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Things I learned from the Falcons this year...

if it it seems impossible and unthinkable... the the Atlanta Falcons will prove you wrong...

heres to us being on the good side of the impossible this year 

Time to tell history where to go.

Rewrite the book and create our own.

BIRDLAND 2.0 likes this

2 hours ago, TonyMartin80 said:

Who did Dallas and Green bay lose?

Dallas- Church, McClain, Crawford, and two of their starters on the OL (Free is retiring)

GB- Cook (but added Bennett), Peppers, Tretter, and possibly Lang. 

There may be more but those are the players that come to mind. 

2 hours ago, Reggie_Kelly said:

You just never know if the team will ever make it again with Matt Ryan.

What's that suppose to mean?? 

One more draft, even close to the last two years, Falcons are going to be around the Superbowl for the next five years.